Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My top-20 might just EAT your top-20

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

My top-20 might just EAT your top-20

Okay people...you have my top-20 prospects. Now, tell me what I did wrong.

Top-10 list ...and... 11-20 list.

These are projections for current prospects that will remain under "prospect status" for the start of 2014.

Please and thank you.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    These are projections for current prospects that will remain under "prospect status" for the start of 2014..
    Why take that route? Arcia or Hicks may not lose their prospect status this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    True, but there's an equal chance that both lose their prospect status next year, in my mind. Plus, it allows me to PROJECT what moves will be made, and then refer back to these posts to see how I did. Lots of thinking involved, but I am happy to explain my reasoning for any drop or add to the list.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    First off - Chris Colabello is not a prospect. he's 29 already and will be lucky to make it as a bench player.

I really don't understand the benefit of a doing a prospect list for the following season. If you think Rosario will be ranked higher after this season then you should also think he is a better prospect now. And imo there is no reason eliminate guys like Hicks, Arcia and Gibson for the sake of doing a 2014 list. Do a 2013 list.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Harrison didn't play in 2011 because of different rules regarding drafted players. Most draftees drafted before 2012 didn't sign until Aug 15th and weren't able to play in the minor league season because of it. This was true of almost all 1st rd picks. The new CBA moved the deadline up to July 15th and also encouraged picks to sign earlier. The strange thing is that a lot of people were complaining about the new CBA at the time and missed this HUGE improvement which allows teams to get these players into rk ball a year earlier.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    First off - Chris Colabello is not a prospect. he's 29 already and will be lucky to make it as a bench player.
    I had to include Colabello for the reasons listed in my article. He is "on the cusp" by being in AA last year, and most of my list is guys that were in A+ or lower last year. So he was a perfect fit at 20, and I am hoping we make some trades to get him a shot while we wait for Sano or Harrison or Vargas to take over at 1B in 2015 or whatever.

Sooooo, he is a prospect, with a shot to be a 30-31-yr-old rookie in Minnesota. Or is there an age limit to being a baseball prospect?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Harrison didn't play in 2011 because of different rules regarding drafted players. Most draftees drafted before 2012 didn't sign until Aug 15th and weren't able to play in the minor league season because of it. This was true of almost all 1st rd picks. The new CBA moved the deadline up to July 15th and also encouraged picks to sign earlier. The strange thing is that a lot of people were complaining about the new CBA at the time and missed this HUGE improvement which allows teams to get these players into rk ball a year earlier.
    I would have to agree with those that think it is a big improvement to sign early rather than skipping out on rookie ball because of contract negotiations.

Sooooo, he is a prospect, with a shot to be a 30-31-yr-old rookie in Minnesota. Or is there an age limit to being a baseball prospect?
    Do you understand how development of the human body works. Almost exclusively, 29 year old AA players don't have enough room for improvement (potential) to ever be consider a 'prospect.' The word prospect means that there's room for development.

Please don't be stubborn on this point. It's just silly.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Do you understand how development of the human body works. Almost exclusively, 29 year old AA players don't have enough room for improvement (potential) to ever be consider a 'prospect.' The word prospect means that there's room for development.

Please don't be stubborn on this point. It's just silly.
    Umm...the word prospect is defined here: Prospect | Define Prospect at Dictionary.com

All five of these defintions apply to Colabello. His production at AA last year means he is a likely candidate for advancement. Even advancement to Minnesota eventually. Maybe you have a certain AGE where you want to draw the line between being a "baseball prospect" and not?

But, in my opinion, age does not matter if the production is quality.

Age doesn't matter in terms of developing potential? Oh boy.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Umm...the word prospect is defined here: Prospect | Define Prospect at Dictionary.com
    I wonder if this is the kind of conversation Kevin Slowey had with Ron Gardenhire between innings.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    But, in my opinion, age does not matter if the production is quality.
    Sonofabitch... he actually works for the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello is a legit prospect. Others seems to think so too. His trade value is nothing so he's not a very highly ranked one, but still a legitimate prospect with his production in AA...

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Wow

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. Age does NOT matter when determining if a person is a "likely candidate for advancement" or THE VERBATIM DEFINITION of the word "prospect"

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Wow
    What, we got another baseball genius on here that wants to diss Colabello?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where did you get this anyway? I never posted anything remotely close to "age doesn't matter in terms of developing potential" Maybe it was a thought you had? Because I never posted anything like that.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    What, we got another baseball genius on here that wants to diss Colabello?
    Dude its so off base its not worth giving a long response to sigh...I miss BYTO due to threads like this.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good god. I don't understand the tone and animosity for daring to list Colabello as a prospect. Regardless of age, he is fresh into professional baseball and can be labelled a prospect if one wants to do so. I have done it. Now, I probably wouldn't do it for 2014, but hopefully that is merely because he is with the Twins. The tone here is just weird. It's perfectly legitimate to consider even a 29-year-old a prospect if he is new to professional ball and can GET BETTER as the result of professional baseball experience. It isn't like we are talking about someone clinging to professional baseball's minor leagues for ten years.

And Colabello should be on the 25-man roster, damn it. Why on earth not?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where does Roy Hobbs rank on current prospect lists?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast