Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 111

Thread: Article: Pickin' Berrios

  1. #61
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Anyone think Berrios pitches in A+ this coming summer?
    Nope, the Twins make nearly all HS players stay a full year at low A. Arcia got to skip out after half a season but he was a hitter. Berrios will get no higher than CR this year.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Nope, the Twins make nearly all HS players stay a full year at low A. Arcia got to skip out after half a season but he was a hitter. Berrios will get no higher than CR this year.
    I don't like it, but I agree that is the wisest course of action for Berrios. We need pitching NOW in Minnesota, but its not worth risking guys like J.O. before they are ready for a big-league workload

  3. #63
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    prospects need time. you don't rush a prospect because of need. Plus the Twins have Gibson, May and Meyer in AA/AAA.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    prospects need time. you don't rush a prospect because of need. Plus the Twins have Gibson, May and Meyer in AA/AAA.
    And a ton of college arms that are not even on the Top 20 list by MLB.com

  5. #65
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    How about a future rotation of:

    1. Meyer
    2. May
    3. Berrios
    4. Gibson
    5. Boyd/Baxendale/Hendriks/Mata/ whoever is good

  6. #66
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    prospects need time. you don't rush a prospect because of need. Plus the Twins have Gibson, May and Meyer in AA/AAA.
    You don't want to push a guy who's not ready, but if he is proving himself, a quick advancement is not necessarily rushing a young player. Had the Twins been fortunate enough to have gotten their hands on Felix Hernandez or Clayton Kershaw, would those players still have reached the majors at the young ages of 19 and 20 years old? No one can say, but i suspect not.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    You don't want to push a guy who's not ready, but if he is proving himself, a quick advancement is not necessarily rushing a young player. Had the Twins been fortunate enough to have gotten their hands on Felix Hernandez or Clayton Kershaw, would those players still have reached the majors at the young ages of 19 and 20 years old? No one can say, but i suspect not.
    There is absolutely NO WAY the Twins EVER start a 19-yr-old at ANY position in the big-leagues. Mauer was a rare exception at 20. No one will ever get to Minnesota that quickly ever again.

  8. #68
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    You don't want to push a guy who's not ready, but if he is proving himself, a quick advancement is not necessarily rushing a young player. Had the Twins been fortunate enough to have gotten their hands on Felix Hernandez or Clayton Kershaw, would those players still have reached the majors at the young ages of 19 and 20 years old? No one can say, but i suspect not.
    The thing is that Berrrios isn't Kershaw or Felix. If he's dominating at the all star break then he should be promoted. I am expecting him to be good but not great next year.

  9. #69
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    The thing is that Berrrios isn't Kershaw or Felix. If he's dominating at the all star break then he should be promoted. I am expecting him to be good but not great next year.
    No Berrios isn't Kershaw or Felix, but when those two were that young, did everyone know they'd turn out exactly how they did? I wonder who people were saying those two weren't when they were that young...

    Berrios' numbers in rookie ball were better than Kershaw's...arguably better than King Felix's...at least stat-line wise. We could really have something here.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-17-2013 at 12:59 PM.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Great point! And yes, we could really have something special in Berrios

  11. #71
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I think you need to reign in your expectations a little.

  12. #72
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    556
    Like
    4
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I think you need to reign in your expectations a little.
    Perhaps, but when an 18 year old dominates a notorious hitters league, it is worth getting excited about.

  13. #73
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I agree that it is worth getting excited about but it's a small sample. He was a supplemental pick, he is not ranked in top 100 lists and most scouting reports say he has #3 upside. Kershaw was the #7 pick, ranked about #25 overall and had #1 upside. Berrios is a very good prospect but I am going to wait untilhe has at least played full season ball to suggest that he will dominate and get promoted to FT Myers.

  14. #74
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I agree that it is worth getting excited about but it's a small sample. He was a supplemental pick, he is not ranked in top 100 lists and most scouting reports say he has #3 upside. Kershaw was the #7 pick, ranked about #25 overall and had #1 upside. Berrios is a very good prospect but I am going to wait untilhe has at least played full season ball to suggest that he will dominate and get promoted to FT Myers.

    For sure kab21, I think we all agree he should not be rushed. But let's detach ourselves from the #3 starter projections, and become enchanted with the mystery of what Berrios could become. We should never pigeon-hole a prospect with dominant numbers, and say ,"well, he is only gonna be a 2nd tier guy in the bigs. So we can reign in our expectations and not expect anything great from him."

    I suggest we imagine what is possible, rather than downplay whatever summit a player may reach.

    Its a lot more fun anyway. And with all these teenagers in the Twins system, there are a whole lot of summits that will be reached far in to future seasons.
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 01-18-2013 at 08:37 AM.

  15. #75
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    John Sickels scouting report:

    Minor League Prospect Note: Jose Berrios, RHP, Minnesota Twins


    One of my favorite pitchers from the 2012 draft is Jose Berrios (sometimes referred to as J.O. Berrios), a high school pitcher from Puerto Rico drafted in the supplemental first round by the Minnesota Twins. Berrios has been outstanding in pro ball. He threw five shutout innings for Elizabethton in the Appalachian League on Friday, allowing two hits, walking nobody, while fanning 11.


    Overall, in 25.2 innings split between Elizabethton and the Gulf Coast League, Berrios has allowed two runs (0.70 ERA), just 10 hits, only four walks, while fanning 43. That's right, 43/4 K/BB in 25.2 innings with 10 hits allowed.


    Standing 6-0, 190, the 18-year-old Berrios is showing a mid-90s fastball, and both his breaking ball and changeup are exceeding his pre-draft scouting reports. The breaking ball is variously described as either a hard curve or a slider, depending on which source you're talking to, but either way it is effective. His changeup is advanced for his age. He also tinkered with a cutter and a slow curve as an amateur. Although he doesn't have much physical projection remaining in terms of size, he is athletic, repeats his mechanics well, and has mature mound presence.


    The Twins used him in relief at first in the Gulf Coast League to get him acclimated to pro ball, but he's starting now and has the arsenal to stick there. His control has been very sharp, and obviously his performance has been outstanding so far. I like him a lot and he could end up being one of the best pitchers in the draft class.

  16. #76
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    From The Scouting Book

    Drafted as a teenager from Puerto Rico to open 2012's compensation round, Jose Orlando Berrios is a smallish righthander with good arm strength from a compact but strong frame. His short delivery bodes well for mechanical soundness, with a fastball that can pop at 96mph and a breaking ball that looks like a real plus offering. He'll slow-cook in Minnesota after signing, but if he stays healthy, it won't be long before he's seen as a TOP-FLIGHT PHENOM in a system good at maximizing pitcher value.

  17. #77
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    He'll slow-cook in Minnesota after signing, but if he stays healthy, it won't be long before he's seen as a TOP-FLIGHT PHENOM in a system good at maximizing pitcher value.
    Thats right, get out your crock pots. We are cooking up an ACE.

    Great info about Jose's progression!

  18. #78
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Thats right, get out your crock pots. We are cooking up an ACE.

    Great info about Jose's progression!
    Heck, if he ends up being a decent #2, or a very good #3 (and I don't mean decent #2 or very good #3 based on current Twins value), it's still very good. I don't see any reason not to be high on him.

  19. #79
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Heck, if he ends up being a decent #2, or a very good #3 (and I don't mean decent #2 or very good #3 based on current Twins value), it's still very good. I don't see any reason not to be high on him.
    Who is not hi

  20. #80
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Heck, if he ends up being a decent #2, or a very good #3 (and I don't mean decent #2 or very good #3 based on current Twins value), it's still very good. I don't see any reason not to be high on him.
    Who is not high on him?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.