Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anibal looking for 6/90

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-contract.html

MLBTR thinks the deciding factor could be whether 6th year is guaranteed,

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    I really want Sanchez so I'd do it but no one is ever going to be dumb enough to make me a GM. If Sanchez breaks down like Santana did, it'll be a horrible deal.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Haha, 6 years. You lost me at and TR at multiple years. I could see going 3-4 years for a pitcher in free agency, but six is stupid. I don't think anyone, except a hometown hero who plays a premium position and is a sure fire hall of famer, is worth 6 years. Especially with the frequency of Tommy John surgeries nowadays.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-contract.html

MLBTR thinks the deciding factor could be whether 6th year is guaranteed,
    Absolutely ridiculous. I'm gonna laugh at the team that does that...he's a good pitcher, but not worth THAT kind of money

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, not so much. Anything over four years is a mistake when acquiring a pitcher, especially this offseason where there are so many quality arms to be had.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I think Anibal is going to be the 2nd highest paid pitcher this offseason. I have him pegged at around CJ Wilson's contract last year (5/75) so this isn't surprising. And I had already crossed him off my wishlist.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I think Anibal is going to be the 2nd highest paid pitcher this offseason. I have him pegged at around CJ Wilson's contract last year (5/75) so this isn't surprising. And I had already crossed him off my wishlist.
    Yep, I had pretty much crossed him off. He hasn't proven enough in the AL to warrant even five years, in my opinion. At least Wilson had years under his belt of pitching half his games in Arlington and against American League offenses.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel a little bad about our estimate in the Handbook right now, which is quite a bit lower. But the reason it was lower is interesting, especially given this report...

It's because the initial writeup of him was done at the end of August. And at that point, his time with the Tigers was a big question mark. He really struggled early with them, his numbers were down, and initially we wondered if he wouldn't need to sign a "make good" deal to show he was healthy or could pitch in the AL. Then he finished strong, seemingly answered those questions and became everyone's darling. We revised our estimate when the season was over, but it still weighed down the number a little bit.

I just think it's interesting that a small number of starts - just eight - can change the paradigm or story, and suddenly the guy is guaranteed tens of millions of more dollars. Teams really are fishing in the dark on a lot of this stuff.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I feel a little bad about our estimate in the Handbook right now, which is quite a bit lower. But the reason it was lower is interesting, especially given this report...

It's because the initial writeup of him was done at the end of August. And at that point, his time with the Tigers was a big question mark. He really struggled early with them, his numbers were down, and initially we wondered if he wouldn't need to sign a "make good" deal to show he was healthy or could pitch in the AL. Then he finished strong, seemingly answered those questions and became everyone's darling. We revised our estimate when the season was over, but it still weighed down the number a little bit.

I just think it's interesting that a small number of starts - just eight - can change the paradigm or story, and suddenly the guy is guaranteed tens of millions of more dollars. Teams really are fishing in the dark on a lot of this stuff.

This probably shows why quality pitchers are such a scarce commodity....8 starts and GM's are drooling over themselves.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Worth mention it's what he's looking for, not necessarily what he'll get, Edwin Jackson wanted a multiyear deal last year and no one sprang for that. I see teams shying away from offering that many years with his injury history. The 15 million per year wouldn't surprise me at all but I see a 4 year deal as much more likely, perhaps an option for a 5th year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This guy has to be nuts! 6/90? No way an injury prone pitcher who has around a 4 ERA in the NL? No thank you. 3 years 24 million is more like it.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good luck. Maybe 3/40. Maybe. More like 3/30-35
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    I am looking for a 5 year 6 million dollar deal to coach another elementary basketball job.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I guess he wanted to start his opening negotiation price a little on the high side. I can't imagine a team offering even close to that in years or dollars.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by sorney View Post
    This probably shows why quality pitchers are such a scarce commodity....8 starts and GM's are drooling over themselves.
    I think the reverse is true. Some were pointing to his early struggles as a reason that he wouldn't be successful. Both are small sample size. The fact is that he's been good (not great) and he hasn't missed a start in 3.5 yrs. He's also the youngest FA pitcher available this offseason. the only argument that people really have is this AL/NL thing and I think people completely blow that out of proportion.
    Last edited by kab21; 11-09-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the only argument that people really have is this AL/NL thing and I think people completely blow that out of proportion.
    ok. Any evidence to suggest that NL pitchers can be as successful in the AL?
    I can throw over a slew for the other way. Mater of fact, when I am trying to evaluate NL performance for SPs and try to translate it to AL performance, I start with a factor of about 1.2 for most metrics...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-09-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope. 3/30 is as high as I would go for him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he gets 6 years for 90 this market is out of whack. 3 - 4 years is the max I would pay for a pitcher that rates to be a #2 or #3 starter. It may be that $15 mil a year may be standard.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In other news, Gerald Laird looking for 5 years/50 million.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    the only argument that people really have is this AL/NL thing and I think people completely blow that out of proportion.
    ok. Any evidence to suggest that NL pitchers can be as successful in the AL?
    I can throw over a slew for the other way. Mater of fact, when I am trying to evaluate NL performance for SPs and try to translate it to AL performance, I start with a factor of about 1.2 for most metrics...
    Yeah I remember your adjustments. it was something like subtract 1.5 K/9 and add 1 BB/9. There should be an adjustment but these numbers are completely ridiculous. NL pitchers don't become pumpkins when they move over to the AL and AL pitchers don't become aces when they do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast