Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RA Dickey

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be embarrassing to trade any top prospects for a guy we gave up on not too long ago.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Why would that be embarrassing?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why would that be embarrassing?
    Because the Twins gave up on him not too long ago, and now they'd be trading top prospects for the guy.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    You know whats more embarrassing? The Twins 2012 rotation.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins cannot trade for Dickey without firing GardynAndy. That simple. Same reason that they will not go after Lohse or Garza or anyone else the duo let go.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    The Twins cannot trade for Dickey without firing GardynAndy. That simple. Same reason that they will not go after Lohse or Garza or anyone else the duo let go.
    Give me a break. Lohse are Garza were let go due to some clashes with the staff (I think Garza's were well overblown, and he was traded for what they thought was an impact bat when they were somewhat pitching heavy)

Dickey was let go because he just wasn't that good,nor was he that good until he mastered the knuckle-ball (on his own), it was never a management/player issue.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Another good fit for the Twins. He was ok while he was here, but they didn't feel comfortable with him in the starting rotation (for some reason).

There is no reason to believe that Dickey doesn't haver at least 5 more decent years left. Knuckleballers tend to age better than just about anybody (except NFL placekickers).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    . Knuckleballers tend to age better than just about anybody (except NFL placekickers).
    well... I got 2 words about that statement. (and it hurts) : Gary Anderson
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    . Knuckleballers tend to age better than just about anybody (except NFL placekickers).
    well... I got 2 words about that statement. (and it hurts) : Gary Anderson
    Ouch. The guy misses one kick all year...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    It would be embarrassing to trade any top prospects for a guy we gave up on not too long ago.
    See Carl Pavano - - New York Yankees. They weren't embarrassed to chase him again.

In any average year til 2010 I'd have traded a solid prospect for Dickey. But with this team, no. We could be moving a guy that could be part of a winning core 2-3 years from now.

Plus, there's less pressure for him to pitch well in MN than there is/was in NY, and his injury risk shoots up every year. I don't expect him to follow-up well, especially two seasons out.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Now that he has won the NL Cy Young award has his price gone up? Has his PR value to the Twins gone up? Would acquiring him now add some legitimacy to the 2013 pitching staff? Do they retain some season ticket holders with the addition of a Cy Young award winner?

I think the knock on Dickey when he was here, was that it was tough and still is tough for a knuckleballer to pitch out of the bullpen. A few thoughts.
    1) Dickey is not your typical knuckballer, he throws it harder than most and has some other pretty good pitches to keep batters honest. I agree that soft-tossers tend to age better than most pitchers, but since he throws his harder will he then age at what can be viewed as a more normal rate?
    2) I remember an interview back when he pitched with us, he mentioned that he had less movement when he pitched indoors. Now that we play at target field and will play very few of our games in a dome he would be a better fit with our organization.
    3) I would only trade for him unless he would agree to a contract extension through at least 2015. Right now it sounds like he is starting his demands at $10 per year and going up from there. What other elite pitcher is going to come here on terms even close to that?
    4) I usually place importance on the difference between the AL and NL pitching statistics, do think these differences would apply with Dickey?
    5) Any chance we could use him to teach the pitch to some of our other pitchers in our organization?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12