Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: Let it Sano, Let it Sano, Let it Sano!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Justin Upton, BJ Upton, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Ken Griffey Jr - All of these guys are American-born players that were OUTFIELDERS. Their advantage was not in just understanding the culture, which is a major hurdle, but they are playing defensive positions that allows them to use there athleticism to its fullest. When Miguel Cabrera first came up with the Marlins, he was playing left field. Centerfield is a very important defensive position, but when you have the natural ability to run the way all of these guys I listed, it can cover up some of the technical flaws in their defense.

With Sano, clearly the Twins management thinks he can be a corner infielder. He isn't allowed to just shag fly balls and make sure he is hitting the cutoff man, he is having to work hard on his defense. The time and practice this takes is mentally taxing enough, but add to it the offensive expectations and cultural adjustments.

Sano was 16 when he came to the Twins. Most of us would have been playing our SOPHOMORE seasons of high school ball. Byron Buxton was just drafted and as an 18 year old (only one year younger than Sano), fans and experts alike expect him to spend probably 4 years in the minors before getting a sniff at MLB. The Sano debate is only a debate, because it seems like he has been in our system for awhile. His age is huge to consider. He has tremendous power as we know, but the SKILLS in his game need a lot more than just some tweaking. If Buxton has at least four years to go, can't we wait three more for Sano?

Lastly, if our favorite team was competitive and in the midst of a mid-2000's type of run, would we as fans be pushing for some of our top prospects to be pushed so hard or would we be patient and just wait for them so we could reload instead of rebuild? Elite prospects should be treated correctly and pushed on the timeline that is right for them and REGARDLESS of how the parent club is doing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I agree it is important for even the most elite prospects to have plenty of seasoning in the minors. But, it would be nice to see some of our guys get pushed out of their comfort zone a bit and see if that helps them develop even faster. In no way do I think Sano was ready for AA ball last year. But I do think his offensive production warranted a look in Ft. Myers to finish the year. Along with Rosario, by the way

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Watching Sano for the full year this year, I can say that he is the Best Hitter to come through the MWL, since 2009 when Wil Myers was in Burlington, and Mike Trout was in Cedar Rapids. Both Trout and Myers(then a catcher) hit for average, compared to Sano who hit for Power. I have never seen a player that brought people to the ballpark in the MWL like Sano did. Fans knew who Sano was, and on the road, people actually came to the games just to see if he is as advertised. When I was in Lake County, and Fort Wayne in my Beloit gear, I had people coming up to me asking me if Sano was as good as they have been saying he is on the radio. Next years Midwest league class will be Correa/Addison Russell/Almora.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanS7921 View Post
    While his average isn't a huge deal his swings and misses are a huge deal when talking about moving a guy to the majors. 144 times in low A doesn't cry out ready for the Majors. You didn't even bring up that the guy has no true position in the field and at this point will probably be a RF, DH or 1B guy. 3B is highly dubious. If he can't play 3rd it limits his upside. Byron Buxton is most likely the Twins top prospect and then Sano. We bring up Sano and waste his service time when he's not ready. He isn't close to the prospect Harper is. Not even close. Hopefully Sano will be ready for some big league ball by 2015.
    This is exactly why Sano would make such a great beer batter

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How many K's for Sano in Ft. Myers next year? Homers?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    How many K's for Sano in Ft. Myers next year? Homers?
    80 and 20. He should not be there the full year, in my view. In New Britain, the numbers will be better for him. He ought to be there by mid-July and probably learning first base.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    80 and 20. He should not be there the full year, in my view. In New Britain, the numbers will be better for him. He ought to be there by mid-July and probably learning first base.
    Wow! That's a fresh take on Sano....I just can't see him striking out less than 100 times in a full season. He might hit 30 HR's though. My money is on the Twins keeping Sano/Rosario at A+ all year. I do NOT see either Sano or Rosario moving from their respective postions (at least next year). They need to learn 3B and 2B, and the organization will give them a full year in Florida to do it.

In 2014, they get their first serious audition at New Britain with a chance to be Sept call-ups
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 01-17-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 349 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow! That's a fresh take on Sano....I just can't see him striking out less than 100 times in a full season. He might hit 30 HR's though. My money is on the Twins keeping Sano/Rosario at A+ all year. I do NOT see either Sano or Rosario moving from their respective postions (at least next year). They need to learn 3B and 2B, and the organization will give them a full year in Florida to do it.

In 2014, they get their first serious audition at New Britain with a chance to be Sept call-ups
    Yeah, there is no chance that Sano (assuming health) strikes out less than 100 times. I'd be shocked! I'm completely comfortable with both of them spending the full season in Ft. Myers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 341 Times in 217 Posts
    If these two continue to produce and improve, I would not be comfortable with them spending an entire year without a promotion. If sticking at 3B and 2B means they absolutely need a full year with the Ft. Myers instructors than I'd fully support an entire season in the FSL. If not, then they need to advance based on their productivity.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Yeah, there is no chance that Sano (assuming health) strikes out less than 100 times. I'd be shocked! I'm completely comfortable with both of them spending the full season in Ft. Myers.
    I assume he said 80 because the poster thinks he should not be there the full year, and the question he was answering asked for strikeouts at Ft. Myers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    I assume he said 80 because the poster thinks he should not be there the full year, and the question he was answering asked for strikeouts at Ft. Myers.
    Ahh. Thank you

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Delmon is a decent comparison for Sano, but Delmon was pushed through the minors quickly like Harper. Delmon played in AAA at age 19. Sano just finished low-A ball at 19. So that isnt a fair comparison either.
    Delmon signed a major league contract when he was drafted, they had no choice but to promote him. Tampa only had 3 option years.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Delmon signed a major league contract when he was drafted, they had no choice but to promote him. Tampa only had 3 option years.
    that's insane! A high school outfielder gets a major league contract?? Well, Delmon did produce in the minors, and he was probably as ready as he could have been at the time of his promotion. Delmon has regressed so much as an athlete. I really hope Sano can stay in shape and play defense.

My gosh...look at what Delmon did in the South Atlantic League as an 18-yr-old!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    that's insane! A high school outfielder gets a major league contract?? Well, Delmon did produce in the minors, and he was probably as ready as he could have been at the time of his promotion. Delmon has regressed so much as an athlete. I really hope Sano can stay in shape and play defense.

My gosh...look at what Delmon did in the South Atlantic League as an 18-yr-old!
    Yup, drafted, signed, put right on the 40 man roster. He's not the first guy to sign one, but you're right it's rare.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Actually it was common for top picks to sign MLB contracts until the last CBA stopped them.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Actually it was common for top picks to sign MLB contracts until the last CBA stopped them.
    Imagine Buxton in Minnesota's CF as a 20-yr-old. Would not happen...but can you imagine the type of career numbers Buxton could amass with that many potential MLB seasons?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    He didn't say top picks, he was just amazed that an high school player signed a major league contract after being drafted. Was it common for high schoolers to get major league contracts upon being drafted? Cause that's what he was amazed by.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-18-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only reason Sano spends an entire year in the FSL is to work on defense. The Twins have pushed prospects a little harder once they hit the FSL, so I wouldn't be surprised by a promotion mid-season.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    He didn't say top picks, he was just amazed that an high school player signed a major league contract after being drafted. Was it common for high schoolers to get major league contracts upon being drafted? Cause that's what he was amazed by.
    Exactly

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    The only reason Sano spends an entire year in the FSL is to work on defense. The Twins have pushed prospects a little harder once they hit the FSL, so I wouldn't be surprised by a promotion mid-season.
    I sincerely hope Sano AND Rosario get pushed up to AA by the end of 2013

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234