Blog Entries

Article: Twins, Perkins Agree to Contract Extension

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Way to be pro-active on our best bullpen option

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. Best part? sensible contract that won't hinder us from other signings moving forward.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is right in line with a ton of moves that the Twins have made and it's something they do well. Getting relievers in for spring training and getting them long-term deals. They've done it with Nathan, Crain, Rincon, and several others.

But what is really brilliant is that they do it BEFORE they end up committing to a role for a guy. I will be surprised if, by the end of this contract, Perkins isn't closing for pennies on the dollar for what a free agent closer would cost.

This is the silver lining of the Capps deal.

i was trying to find some info on the Perkins situation with from two years ago and struck out. Can someone remind me what and when that all took place? I am referring to Perkins filing a case against the Twins based on his serivce time and arbitration eligibilty.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    This is right in line with a ton of moves that the Twins have made and it's something they do well. Getting relievers in for spring training and getting them long-term deals. They've done it with Nathan, Crain, Rincon, and several others.

But what is really brilliant is that they do it BEFORE they end up committing to a role for a guy. I will be surprised if, by the end of this contract, Perkins isn't closing for pennies on the dollar for what a free agent closer would cost.

This is the silver lining of the Capps deal.

Wait, so the silver lining is that we DON'T expect Capps to be able to succeed long enough in the closer role that we will instead turn to a different pitcher to close who has got to be better? That's reminds me of an old "Beavis and Butthead" episode where Butthead kept on smacking Beavis in the face because after the sting wore off, Beavis appreciated how much better he felt when compared to when he was being smacking in the face.

I appreciate the attempt to stay positive about the Capps deal however.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perkins has finally found his proper niche as a pitcher. One inning, really burn 'em in, throw that nasty slider, then walk away. This deal is good for everybody, including Matt Capps, who now has a backup at stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by spoofbonser View Post
    i was trying to find some info on the Perkins situation with from two years ago and struck out. Can someone remind me what and when that all took place? I am referring to Perkins filing a case against the Twins based on his serivce time and arbitration eligibilty.
    Perkins spoke out against how the twins handled him. I seem to remember he thought they were trying to screw him on service time. It was something along those lines.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great move and classic BARGAIN PRICE signing by Ryan. Locking up LH Glen Perkins before he became a free agent and landed a huge contract. I don't believe last year was a fluke and Perkins might be the future closer if he can stay healthy. The team just needs somebody to step up and take over the 8th inning role. Maybe Jared Burton or they trade for somebody.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very nice article by Phil Mackey about Perkins' "Come-to-Jesus" moment one year ago. http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...xtension030812

Pretty sure John just means Perkins is signable for less today with Capps here than he would be today if he were the 2012 projected closer. John's identifying a silver lining. FlsPrpht is identifying the cloud within the lining. IMO, Capps seems like a high quality man whose pitching ceiling is "good to very good" ...and his floor is "real ugly." I'd probably like him a lot in Guerrier-type role. I don't feel like him closing. It is cool if his presence allowed the Twins to secure Perkins on a more team-friendly deal. That's an interesting angle.

Gardy didn't like one of his players speaking out against the twins and was real heated with him

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Reliable sources say there's an incentive structure in this contract if Perkins starts closing games. So it's not quite as beautiful as it could be. But this is a very good deal. I think of it with 2012 folded in, 4 years, $12M. Pretty good for a top-level set-up guy, a pitcher who could be a classic fireman. He's got closer potential, and even with a salary bump if he gets that role it's still going to be a value buy.

Either way as the season go on perk throws more meat. 3 mil for 70 solid innings. With the rest of the bullpen the way it is he probably should have asked for more

I don't see closer potential. He lacks a 2nd top pitch

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oprahchapelle View Post
    His slider is pretty darn spiffy good
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The annual figures of the contract and the option are out:

2012: $1.55 million
    2013: $2.5 million
    2014: $3.75 million
    2015: $3.75 million
    2016 (option) : $4.5 million with $300K buyout

no word for incentives yet. Compared to Capps' this is a crazy good contract for the Twins
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great deal for both sides. I remember talk from a few years ago that Perkins mght not stay with the team. I'm glad everything worked out.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fastball at 94-97, and a pretty sharp slide. I'd say that's two pretty top pitches.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His slider was very good last year. According to Fangraphs.com's pitch value data, his slider was 9.9 runs above average -- 5th-best among qualified relievers. It's a very solid second pitch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast