Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Is it too late for Joe Benson?

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Is it too late for Joe Benson?

It may be too late. A player always has to worry about performance vs. where you are in the pecking order. If he has a decent (actually, needs to shine) 2013 at AAA, he could be tradebait. He would need a few more days in the major to add some luster. But, how. The Twins have three solid outfielders. Plus they have Parmelee. They have Mastro as backup. They might have Doumit and Hermann on the bench. If Hicks is added to the roster, both him and Arcia could get a call BEFORE Benson. Yet Benson showed no reason to be the 4th/5th bench guy this season and deplace Mastro. It shows the outfield depth the Twins may have that someone like Joe can get lost in the shuffle.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the idea of giving up on Joe Benson is absolutely crazy. It'd be like giving up on Gibson or Salcedo at this point. Injury was the primary reason that Benson struggled in 2012. Hamate bone is a big one that is painful and then takes awhile to return from. Then he had the knee injury that when they went in found out it was much more than they expected. The talent is still there and he's still just 25 years old. Just needs to be healthy.

Now again, the Twins do have outfield depth, and we'll see what Arcia and Hicks do early next year to see if they are legit big league candidates for late in 2013. Benson (and Tosoni) play into that whole equation... I still 100% believe in Benson and that he will be good whether he is with the Twins or elsewhere.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I don't think he'll ever master the strike zone enough to be anything other than a fringe MLer. Hope I'm wrong but he'll be 25 next year and still only has about 50 games above AA (at AAA and ML) and really struggled in those games.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think Benson could be a pretty good player. But, I don't really see him in the Twins' future. If he plays well in the minors, I think he'll be traded. If he continues to struggle and get injured, he will just be released eventually.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    im guessing he will be taken in the rule 5 draft in 2014

Said it often & still believe he'll be dealt this offseason as I have believed that Mn/more so Terry Ryan isnt as high on him as some of the national people. If true, he will have some value this offseason if teams believe his struggles are due to injuries...not by himself but in a multi player deal for a pitcher

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Really can't trade him for anything right now. The Twins will give him another year to reclaim his status or else they'll remove him from the 40-man and he could potentially latch on somewhere else.

I think 2013 will be the year that we find out if Benson is more similar to Torii Hunter or Lew Ford.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Yes

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm still pretty high on Benson and think he's about #8. The tools are just too good.

Liked 715 Times in 379 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope that TR does not trade him while his stock is so low.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hard to give up on a guy that has as many tools and as much success as Benson. The Twins brought him north with the club last season, so they obviously feel the talent is there. Let the guy play in 2013 and then start to evaluate.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Nate Roberts another 2 hit day in Az. His development, IMO, makes it more likely that a guy like Benson gets dealt in a multi-player deal, as mentioned by Goblin.

Roberts should skip FM and start 2013 in AA; I think he's already proving he can handle that level.He's more complete in his abilities than anyone that played OF at the end of 2012 in FM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Skip FM? This is the Twins we are talking about.....and the AFL is a ridiculous hitters league....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Skip FM? This is the Twins we are talking about.....and the AFL is a ridiculous hitters league....
    Right. That's why I said they SHOULD.

But won't. Roberts will have to toil a 1/2 season in FM, then to NB for 1 1/2 years, on to Rochester, and debut as a 26 or 27 year old rook in the bigs, if he gets that far.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think the idea of giving up on Joe Benson is absolutely crazy. It'd be like giving up on Gibson or Salcedo at this point. Injury was the primary reason that Benson struggled in 2012. Hamate bone is a big one that is painful and then takes awhile to return from. Then he had the knee injury that when they went in found out it was much more than they expected. The talent is still there and he's still just 25 years old. Just needs to be healthy.
    Seth
    From my memory he was healthy in the beginning of the year in 2012. He did not get injured until after he was sent to AA. So unless my memory is wrong, we can't blame his poor 2012 on injuries. Instead we need to blame his poor play.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    In Minnesota? Yep. Benson better hope for a trade, an injury (or two) or a torrid Feb-Apr to have a chance.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he is needed to complete a trade for pitching, I would throw him in. Do not think he will be more than a fringe major leagurer and the Twins have many outfielders coming in the next 3 years. Also agree with the thought that Roberts should start in New Britian.

IMO, the biggest problem most people have with with prospects and young players is the tendency to overbuild hope when things are going well, and abandon ship too quickly when the stats go south.

Benson wasn't a future all-star in 2011. But he's at least got a a valid excuse in a bum wrist for what happened in 2012. At the bare minimum, he has the brand of defense and platoon spilts you like to see in a good fourth outfielder.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    hamate.jpeg
    ... so next time a girl asks you "What bone did Joe Benson break?" You can point to it. On her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast