Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Josh Hamilton

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Josh Hamilton

According to the MLBTR article below, Hamilton is looking for 7 years and $175 million. Personally, I have no doubt in my mind that there is no way any sane GM gives him that kind of deal with the history he has. Anybody think otherwise? If you were to be a GM, what would you be willing to give Hamilton as a contract? I wouldn't give him more than 4 years and $100 million, and that is my generous side talking.

Here's the article:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ars-175mm.html

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    According to the MLBTR article below, Hamilton is looking for 7 years and $175 million. Personally, I have no doubt in my mind that there is no way any sane GM gives him that kind of deal with the history he has. Anybody think otherwise? If you were to be a GM, what would you be willing to give Hamilton as a contract? I wouldn't give him more than 4 years and $100 million, and that is my generous side talking.

Here's the article:
    well if you did go 7 years you would want a moral clause to excape the contract , and a drug and alcohol testing on a regular basis,

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post

Here's the article:
    well if you did go 7 years you would want a moral clause to excape the contract , and a drug and alcohol testing on a regular basis,
    I would imagine that testing would be part of the contract, unless he resigns with the Rangers, in which case I would imagine he would stay with the same program he has been on.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,505 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here's the article:
    I wouldn't even go that long. I'd offer three years, no more. The dude is going into his age 32 season and couldn't stay healthy in his late 20s.

Whoever pays him is probably going to regret it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Can't fault a player for trying to get the most he can. If you don't start with a high number you are not going to get what you want. There actually might have been a chance for that type of contract except for the last two years of A Rod. They might also check the post season dip in production.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    If a GM has the right team that is in contention, I go 3 years 30 mil per year. If I'm the Giants, I think about that. They win the World Series with awesome pitching. Add a big bat enhances chances to win again. 3 year commitment isn't too long...Now, would Hamilton take it, doubt it. But I think it would be tough to turn down 90 million and a chance to make multiple World Series with a great pitching staff. (of course, the same could be said about the Rangers two years ago...)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I think he will get multiple large, long-term offers. The deal breaker will probably be the level of out clauses the team requires due to his history. He is a producer that fans love.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see who would offer him that. Reports are that the Rangers aren't interested in that kind of deal. There is some belief that the Red Sox might move Ellsbury to make room for Hamilton, but Hamilton is not a true CF and the Red Sox are supposed to be trying to clean up their act. The Dodgers have Kemp and Ethier, and the Angels have more outfielders still. That would leave the Yankees as the last major player. Swisher is expected to deny his qualifying offer, so that opens right field. My prediction: 7/155 to the Yankees with a player option for 8th and 9th year activated by performance thresholds.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I don't see who would offer him that. Reports are that the Rangers aren't interested in that kind of deal. There is some belief that the Red Sox might move Ellsbury to make room for Hamilton, but Hamilton is not a true CF and the Red Sox are supposed to be trying to clean up their act. The Dodgers have Kemp and Ethier, and the Angels have more outfielders still. That would leave the Yankees as the last major player. Swisher is expected to deny his qualifying offer, so that opens right field. My prediction: 7/155 to the Yankees with a player option for 8th and 9th year activated by performance thresholds.
    And I believe that the Yankees won't go after Hamilton because they are really trying to get under the luxury tax line for 2014, and signing Hamilton would be the opposite of that goal. I see a Prince Fielder-esque thing going on this year, where a team you wouldn't think would want him will make the strongest push.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    I think we should inquire about this. Go Twins!!!