Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 107

Thread: Cafardo: Twins have inquired about Shields

  1. #81
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Do you ever get tired by playing your heel role when it comes to anything Minnesota Sports?
    Where do I get the koolaid that makes almost laughably, childishly naive? But if you want to start a T-Wolves thread I'd be really optimistic! (Hint: They don't suck)

    You probably pissed and moaned over every move they made when the Timberwolves did suck. Also 26-40 is a great record?
    Last edited by old nurse; 11-06-2012 at 08:24 AM.

  2. #82
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,675
    Like
    156
    Liked 612 Times in 342 Posts
    They are 2-1 with reasons to be optimistic. Back to back 90+ loss seasons deserve pessimism. You are entitled to be optimistic but ridiculing pessimism because it doesnt make you a real fan is stupid.

  3. #83
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    They are 2-1 with reasons to be optimistic. Back to back 90+ loss seasons deserve pessimism. You are entitled to be optimistic but ridiculing pessimism because it doesnt make you a real fan is stupid.

    Ridiculing optimism with this statement

    "Where do I get the koolaid that makes almost laughably, childishly naive? But if you want to start a T-Wolves thread I'd be really optimistic! (Hint: They don't suck)"

    makes you what?

  4. #84
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,675
    Like
    156
    Liked 612 Times in 342 Posts
    Dave goes beyond optimistic - I was replying to him. He is right now planning the next ten years of World Series parades after Deduno took a minor league deal. He's in his own ballpark.

  5. #85
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,897
    Like
    75
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Dave goes beyond optimistic - I was replying to him. He is right now planning the next ten years of World Series parades after Deduno took a minor league deal. He's in his own ballpark.
    Yeah, that simply isn't true. I said the Twins have the chance to compete in 2013 if they fix the rotation, adding Shields, Baker and Gibson IMO gives them enough of a chance to compete in a weak AL Central. Also there is zero reason why with Ryan at the helm they can't compete in 2014.

    I admit I was wrong in my prediction for 2012 when I said they would win 78-84 games, but that wasn't exactly me predicting 10 world series. You need to lay off the hyperbole, champ.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Matt Moore would be a great pitcher to get, he will be a 20 game winner real soon!
    Good grief, give the 20 game winner stuff a break.

  7. #87
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Many teams should be interested in Shields. The Rays will get a good return. The Royals are looking for pitching. If they get involved, they have the talent to offer a bat and a pitching prospect. If the Rays are also looking for a pitching prospect with the major league bat, the Twins may not be a good match for them.
    If that's what the Rays are asking, they can keep Shields. He's a good, not great, pitcher who is due to make ~$22m over the next two seasons. It doesn't make sense to pay significant prospects for a guy who isn't priced much below what he'd get on the free agent market.
    shields was the 11 best starter in 2012 , and was ranked higher in 2011...and which pitcher of the twins broke the top 50? top 75even?

  8. #88
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    So by planning not to contend in 2013 and 2014--doing nothing at all to better your team--you somehow magically become a contender at some undetermined future point in time?

    This is like a middle aged person making $40K per year telling themselves "I don't have to work to pay the rent or eat for the next couple years, because I feel confident by doing nothing to improve myself now, I will hit the lottery before I die."
    The analogy doesn't work (not well for Bark either, but to stick with it) because the problem here isn't that you totally punt 2013 and 2014, it's just that you avoid investing money and assets into acquiring someone who won't be here any longer than that. If you want to pour a bunch of money into a guy like Grienke or Marcum or someone likely to be here 2-4 years. Fine. But trading Span and a minor leaguer to get a guy there is virtually no chance you resign in two years? That's bad organizational planning.
    so you want to keep 13 pitchers 3 catchers and 6 outfielders?,id love to keep span and trade lil ben , but ...who is worth more

  9. #89
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,675
    Like
    156
    Liked 612 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I admit I was wrong in my prediction for 2012 when I said they would win 78-84 games, but that wasn't exactly me predicting 10 world series. You need to lay off the hyperbole, champ.
    Drudging up the overly optimistic Dave predictions would take centuries - there have been so many comically awful examples that it doesn't pay to just pick one. You're an optimist, great. The rest of us in the real world suffered with awful game experiences, no ability to sell season tickets when we couldn't make a game, inept play, and a product barely worth paying attention to unless you are a diehard. I've earned the right to be a pessimist and so has any other Twins fan.

    So no, I don't feel trading Span and a prospect for a two year rental is a sound idea. You want to swap him for Mike Minor, Tommy Hanson, or some other expanded deal with a prospect - fine. At least then you're helping the organization long-term and not trying to chase some naive delusion of contention.

  10. #90
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,429
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    240
    Um, it's not like the Twins couldn't trade Shields if this or next season goes down the drain.

  11. #91
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Dave goes beyond optimistic - I was replying to him. He is right now planning the next ten years of World Series parades after Deduno took a minor league deal. He's in his own ballpark.
    Yeah, that simply isn't true. I said the Twins have the chance to compete in 2013 if they fix the rotation, adding Shields, Baker and Gibson IMO gives them enough of a chance to compete in a weak AL Central. Also there is zero reason why with Ryan at the helm they can't compete in 2014.

    I admit I was wrong in my prediction for 2012 when I said they would win 78-84 games, but that wasn't exactly me predicting 10 world series. You need to lay off the hyperbole, champ.
    Adding one really good pitcher turns a 90+ loss team to a ~75 loss one? Baker is coming off Tommy John and Kyle Gibson will be a rookie. There is not enough depth behind them in the case something goes wrong either. You can't expect a rotation with that many question marks to put the Twins into contention, especially with a below average offense (without Span). The chances would be slightly less slim than last year's, but are still not significant.

    The Twins need to do much more to compete in 2013. Say we trade Span for Shields, as the majority of people here including yourself seem intent on for some reason, the Twins need at least 2 more quality pitchers and a power bat to even think about contending with the Tigers. Can you really see them winning 88 again next year? God knows that team underachieved until the post-season.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 11-06-2012 at 04:57 PM.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Um, it's not like the Twins couldn't trade Shields if this or next season goes down the drain.
    Or have 2 years and 440 innings of very good pitching, then throw him a qualifying offer at the end...

  13. #93
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Um, it's not like the Twins couldn't trade Shields if this or next season goes down the drain.
    Or have 2 years and 440 innings of very good pitching, then throw him a qualifying offer at the end...
    Or just resign him...like right away...

  14. #94
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    604
    Like
    11
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Matt Moore would be a great pitcher to get, he will be a 20 game winner real soon!
    Good grief, give the 20 game winner stuff a break.
    Exactly, It's not like you have to be a great pitcher to win 20 games. You can just be very lucky and get a ton of run support and not have the bullpen screw you over too much. You could easily have a pitcher win 20 and have an ERA close to 5 and does that make him a good pitcher? No.

  15. #95
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    You could easily have a pitcher win 20 and have an ERA close to 5 and does that make him a good pitcher?
    I wonder how many times that's happened...since teams went to five man rotations...where a guy won 20 or more games and had an ERA close to 5 (I'd say close would be 4.76 or higher (close to 5 than 4.5)

  16. #96
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Matt Moore would be a great pitcher to get, he will be a 20 game winner real soon!
    Good grief, give the 20 game winner stuff a break.
    You could easily have a pitcher win 20 and have an ERA close to 5 and does that make him a good pitcher?.
    I think that would be pretty difficult to do.

  17. #97
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,897
    Like
    75
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I admit I was wrong in my prediction for 2012 when I said they would win 78-84 games, but that wasn't exactly me predicting 10 world series. You need to lay off the hyperbole, champ.
    Drudging up the overly optimistic Dave predictions would take centuries - there have been so many comically awful examples that it doesn't pay to just pick one. You're an optimist, great. The rest of us in the real world suffered with awful game experiences, no ability to sell season tickets when we couldn't make a game, inept play, and a product barely worth paying attention to unless you are a diehard. I've earned the right to be a pessimist and so has any other Twins fan.

    So no, I don't feel trading Span and a prospect for a two year rental is a sound idea. You want to swap him for Mike Minor, Tommy Hanson, or some other expanded deal with a prospect - fine. At least then you're helping the organization long-term and not trying to chase some naive delusion of contention.
    Well yeah I'd obviously prefer Tommy Hanson as well, but I live in the real world where opposing GMS aren't lining up to get destroyed in trades. On that note, maybe we should try to get Strausburg or Matt Moore as well in a Span centered deal!

  18. #98
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,675
    Like
    156
    Liked 612 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Well yeah I'd obviously prefer Tommy Hanson as well, but I live in the real world where opposing GMS aren't lining up to get destroyed in trades. On that note, maybe we should try to get Strausburg or Matt Moore as well in a Span centered deal!
    Cute to hear you lecture on realism! Jeez Dave - what's with your heel schtick on JR's ability to fleece people? (Look, it sounds just as obnoxious and stupid when I do it!)

    I don't care who the name is, in my opinion we maximize Span by dealing him for something akin to what KC did for Broxton. Or we trade him for someone with team control. Shields is a good pitcher but he's unlikely to stay here long-term when he has a chance to cash-in and you won't get as much for a pitcher in the final year of his deal. (See: Grienke) And all of this is assuming the price with Span isn't high. (It likely is) So, for many reasons, Shields doesn't make sense. Dangle Span for someone with 3-4 years on this team or start dangling Willingham for the Sheilds-types.

  19. #99
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    585
    Like
    11
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Um, it's not like the Twins couldn't trade Shields if this or next season goes down the drain.
    Or have 2 years and 440 innings of very good pitching, then throw him a qualifying offer at the end...
    Or just resign him...like right away...
    Ding ding ding!

  20. #100
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,755
    Like
    636
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Shields' velocity gain suggests his arm is well and he and can be counted on to be pitching at the trade deadline, and probably pitching well. Span's concussion history on the other hand, suggests he may be the bigger injury risk.

    Every year there are are pitchers on all-in clubs that go down with TJ's or torn labrums. So there would be nothing to stop the Twins trading Shields at the deadline for prospects or whatever if the season goes south early and there is a buyer out there desperate for pitching. Heck, they could flip him yet this winter.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.