Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Christensen: Twins seek right fit among free agent starting pitchers

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Christensen: Twins seek right fit among free agent starting pitchers

The Star Tribune's Joe Christensen speculates on the potential fits for the Twins on the open market:

The Twins, as usual, aren't expected to win a bidding sweepstakes for the likes of Greinke or Sanchez. But using last year's template, they could give a three-year deal to the likes of Dempster, Joe Saunders or Hisashi Iwakuma. They could give a two-year deal to Jeremy Guthrie, Joe Blanton or Shaun Marcum. And they could give a one-year deal to a pitcher looking to establish himself as a full-time starter, such as Carlos Villanueva or Scott Feldman.
    Of note, as part of his contract, the Mariners have until Saturday to negotiate with Iwakuma before he can become a free agent.

While I don't mind any of those names, I am a little less enthused by Saunders, Guthrie and Blanton.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    Right fit means cheap?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Feldman a lot from the bunch. Other than W-L and ERA his numbers were better than average (and he did that with a .339 BABIP against RHB and a total .318 BABIP). And he is in his prime. He will be an improvement over pretty much everyone the Twins trotted out last season including Diamond (his FIP was lower than Diamond's and he had better peripherals.) A multi year deal to an older pitcher (like they did with Pavano in the past) will not be much of a solution, unless that pitcher is a bona fide number 2 or better and none of those guys is...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I like Feldman a lot from the bunch. Other than W-L and ERA his numbers were better than average (and he did that with a .339 BABIP against RHB and a total .318 BABIP). And he is in his prime. He will be an improvement over pretty much everyone the Twins trotted out last season including Diamond (his FIP was lower than Diamond's and he had better peripherals.) A multi year deal to an older pitcher (like they did with Pavano in the past) will not be much of a solution, unless that pitcher is a bona fide number 2 or better and none of those guys is...

Feldman...if for no other reason than he can be linked to Seinfeld.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnXOAWoNADw

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Right fit means cheap?
    Keep in mind everyone of these pitchers is older than Santana was when we got rid of him and he broke down in his second year in NY. I don't think Ryan wants to risk so much money on a long term pitching deal. If Sanchez would sign a 3 year deal, I think we'd be on him. So it looks like he'll try and fix the rotation by just getting more innings eaters (which will be a significant improvement over last year) and probably still trade Span for a pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I really don't understand the groupings. Who in their right mind is giving the entirely mediocre Saunders or the 35 yr old Dempster a 3 yr deal? Marcum might only get a 2 yr deal but it will be big whereas Guthrie and Blanton kind of suck.

I see the Twins getting 3 pitchers this offseason

a) The Twins sign a guy in the 3/30 range or they trade Span for a solid MLB'er (probably not Shields but Minor or Delgado would work)
    b) sign Baker
    c) a cheap guy on a 1-2 yr deal like Feldman or Villanueva.