Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Royals Destroy My Dreams, Acquire Ervin Santana

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,767
    Like
    142
    Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    TB does have Jennings. He can play CF, can't he?
    Well, he can go there....not sure if he can do the job in CF. Some TB fans I know seem to doubt it, but honestly I'm not sure.
    He did play more than 400 career minor league games at CF, not that it means he's major league capable, but that certainly was his trajectory as he was developing.

    If I'm TB, I'd use Sheilds to get a better than Span/Revere can offer.

  2. #42
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,625
    Like
    6
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    He did play more than 400 career minor league games at CF, not that it means he's major league capable, but that certainly was his trajectory as he was developing.

    If I'm TB, I'd use Sheilds to get a better than Span/Revere can offer.
    I think the Rays trust Jennings to play center. I don't think they trust him to bad leadoff. Tampa Bay got a .314 OBP from the No. 1 spot in the order this year and .304 from the two-hole. You've gotta believe a stat-centric organization like that is going to be heavily targeting affordable high-OBP options to plug into the top of the lineup, particular since it would lessen their reliance on a breakout year from Jennings, who was nothing special this year.

    Joe Christensen recently called my suggested Shields for Span-and-Hermsen deal far-fetched. And when I think about it, maybe he's right. But I can see plenty of reasons that the Rays would be extremely interested in acquiring Span.

  3. #43
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,767
    Like
    142
    Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    He did play more than 400 career minor league games at CF, not that it means he's major league capable, but that certainly was his trajectory as he was developing.

    If I'm TB, I'd use Sheilds to get a better than Span/Revere can offer.
    I think the Rays trust Jennings to play center. I don't think they trust him to bad leadoff. Tampa Bay got a .314 OBP from the No. 1 spot in the order this year and .304 from the two-hole. You've gotta believe a stat-centric organization like that is going to be heavily targeting affordable high-OBP options to plug into the top of the lineup, particular since it would lessen their reliance on a breakout year from Jennings, who was nothing special this year.

    Joe Christensen recently called my suggested Shields for Span-and-Hermsen deal far-fetched. And when I think about it, maybe he's right. But I can see plenty of reasons that the Rays would be extremely interested in acquiring Span.
    This is a good point, although Jennings did post a very strong walk rate throughout the minor leagues.

  4. #44
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,399
    Like
    258
    Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    I wonder if the Rays would take a Span-Morneau package where the Twins ate maybe $7m of Morneau's salary. That would be a neutral move payroll-wise.

  5. #45
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,633
    Like
    522
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Again, the bad part for the Twins is that this makes it more likely the Angels re- sign Greinke quickly, meaning the other teams are not waiting for him to decide on their offer, meaning the Twins now have a harder time signing other free agents.

  6. #46
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Again, the bad part for the Twins is that this makes it more likely the Angels re- sign Greinke quickly, meaning the other teams are not waiting for him to decide on their offer, meaning the Twins now have a harder time signing other free agents.
    Our team overvaluing it's trade chips is another problem...

  7. #47
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,633
    Like
    522
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    on the other side of the coin, does this mean the Royals are leas likely to compete to sign pitchers now?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.