Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt, meet wound

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Salt, meet wound

This is beating a dead-horse, I know.

The Gold Glove Awards were announced last night in an oddly concocted award show format on ESPN2. In the AL, Baltimore Orioles' shortstop JJ Hardy was the recipient of the hardware for that position. So now, the Twins have traded away a 30-home run, Gold Glove winning shortstop.

Since trading him, the Twins have had a -5.2 UZR/150 at the position (third-worst in the AL) along with a .280 weighted on-base average (third lowest). Meanwhile, the Orioles have hit the most home runs at the position (52 compared to the Twins' 18) and the O's have had the third-highest UZR/150 (9.6) in baseball.

How do you feel about the team's future at this pivotal position?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find it far more significant that the O's UZR is high than whether or not JJ won the Gold Glove. I actually think he probably deserved it, but the Gold Glove is perhaps the worst award given by MLB. Several marginal defenders have won the award and some (Palmeiro) have won when they mostly have served as a DH.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right, the Gold Glove is often a travestshamockery and you could argue that Brendon Ryan was a superior defender, but I think this is league-wide recognition that JJ Hardy is very much an elite defender and jives with the advanced defensive statistics.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    No doubt Gardy is happy he has shortstops that play the way he did and not Hardy.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure there were more than a few here (maybe with paper bags over their heads now) who were fine with jettisoning the fragile Hardy for the next big thing from Japan.

Besides, to reiterate, Gold Gloves are kind of stupid. Mike Trout didn't win one? That pretty much says it all.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    Hardy was a pansy who missed too much time with that little wrist boo-boo he "had". Also he's slow.

But seriously, I don't think Dozier has the defensive ability to stick at shortstop and I think Florimon is Juan Castro v2. Whoever the Twins shortstop of the future is, I don't think he's on the roster right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Yeah, MI is a bit of blackhole for us but we do have a handful of legit prospects in the pipeline - Rosario, Micheal, Polanco, Santana. I suspect next year we'll have Carroll (who isn't that bad) and a pu-pu platter again.

I wonder if Span gets traded for a MI and a pitcher.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    How did Jeter not win? Rigged!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure there were more than a few here (maybe with paper bags over their heads now) who were fine with jettisoning the fragile Hardy for the next big thing from Japan.Besides, to reiterate, Gold Gloves are kind of stupid. Mike Trout didn't win one? That pretty much says it all.
    Yes, GGs are stupid, why else would Jeter have a collection?That said, this site didn't exist, but I seem to remember very few people thinking that trading Hardy was a good thing over at BYTO... myself included.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    We need to draft MI and SP only. No more Relief Pitchers, outfielders, or corner outfielders. Maybe a few catchers now and then. The next stud SS for the Twins will be the first in my 25 year lifetime.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Had the Twins drafted Hardy, he surely would not have ended up as a SS. His size and (lack of) speed would have convinced the Twins he wouldn't have the range for SS long before he would have reached the majors.

My biggest issue with the Hardy loss lies in the rumors that the Twins and Hardy butted heads on his reluctance to hit to all fields. Willingham and Plouffe showed this year that for right handed hitters, Hardy's philosopy was the correct one at Target Field.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fail.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    What future at MI ?

The worst part about losing JJ is that we got jack for him.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    No doubt Gardy is happy he has shortstops that play the way he did and not Hardy.
    nailed it

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the sweetest moments from the Jr interview. John: Hardy scores outstanding in defensive metrics. Jr: He does? Unreal.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    What future at MI ?

Bingo... It's not the players we have lost and what they could be doing for us now.

It's what we got in return and what those acquired players are NOT doing for us.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I didn't have a problem with trading Hardy at the time. I think if they would have received two relievers who were at least decent it wouldn't have been so bad. But getting nothing for him, and then him going and having his one great year last year kind of combined to a perfect storm. I'm surprised he didn't win the Gold Glove last year when he hit better.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By the time the Twins traded Hardy, they already had signed Nishioka, so it wasn't exactly a surprise. While he hadn't been an All-Star by any means, with the Twins, he certainly was an improvement over what we'd seen at SS prior to his arrival. Nishioka was an entertaining sideshow initially, but even among those of us who didn't see Hardy as being terrific, I think the reaction was more along the lines of, "OK, you think this is an improvement... you'd better be right." Obviously, the Twins weren't right and the fact that the players they got in return bombed just made things worse.

I'm happy for Hardy that he's been having success and congratulations to the Orioles on getting the best end of this particular trade.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 451 Times in 220 Posts
    What future at MI ?

C'mon, who'll ever forget the time Jim Hoey struck that guy out.

In between walking 3 and hitting two.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Quote Originally Posted by GCTF View Post
    What future at MI ?

C'mon, who'll ever forget the time Jim Hoey struck that guy out.

In between walking 3 and hitting two.
    I forgot;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast