Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Blackburn had elbow surgery

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nick Blackburn had elbow surgery

The Twins also announced this afternoon that RHP Nick Blackburn had arthroscopic elbow surgery to remove bone chips last Thursday.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Was the last Twins pitcher to have bone spurs removed Joe Nathan? Nathan blamed the procedure for causing his ligament damage and the ensuing TJ surgery and I don't think anyone disagreed with his assesment.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I guess that's it....Nick Blackburn's surgery is going to ruin his pitching career.

Sarcasm aside, anything Blackburn can change before next years is good thing. At least if there was a medical issue resolved, there is a glimmer of hope that he will bounce back to have some value.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig in MN View Post
    I guess that's it....Nick Blackburn's surgery is going to ruin his pitching career.

Sarcasm aside, anything Blackburn can change before next years is good thing. At least if there was a medical issue resolved, there is a glimmer of hope that he will bounce back to have some value.
    Agreed. Now instead of being the worst pitcher in baseball, maybe he can only be bottom-third.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    The only thing that can possibly help Blackburn is arm replacement surgery.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about turning him into a cyborg (if only that were possible)? That pretty much removes the risk of his arm getting injured, and we would end up with one of the fastest pitchers in all of baseball in the deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Nick Blackburn underwent arthroscopic surgery on October 25 to remove a bone chip from his right elbow.

It was a relatively minor procedure, and Blackburn is expected to be 100 percent for spring training. The veteran right-hander will be a non-roster invitee and must impress next spring to earn a spot in the Opening Day rotation. He posted an ugly 7.39 ERA and 1.71 WHIP over 19 starts this season.

Source: Joe Christensen on Twitter

Blackburn is not good. I don't want him back on this team.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    How about turning him into a cyborg (if only that were possible)? That pretty much removes the risk of his arm getting injured, and we would end up with one of the fastest pitchers in all of baseball in the deal.

Only if he gets one of those red eyes that open and close like a lens....those are scary.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
    Any word if they inserted some talent while they had him opened up?
    There isn't enough defense on the planet to justify giving 500+ PA to a guy who can barely OPS .600.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Wow. I started the snark, but I expected a little bit of positivity from someone. He wouldn't be the first sinkerballer who fell off a cliff due to not finishing off his pitches well, due to a little junk in his elbow. That's connecting the dots a little bit, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is back to being above replacement level in 2013.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    The bone chips could explain why Blackburn had altered his mechanics (Parker Hagerman analysis last June).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Wow. I started the snark, but I expected a little bit of positivity from someone. He wouldn't be the first sinkerballer who fell off a cliff due to not finishing off his pitches well, due to a little junk in his elbow. That's connecting the dots a little bit, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is back to being above replacement level in 2013.
    I would be surprised.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They should perform the same procedure that was performed on that kid in the movie "Rookie of the Year"

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
    I'm not sure it's possible to remove enough bone chips for that to happen.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised, I'd be flat out shocked.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    They should perform the same procedure that was performed on that kid in the movie "Rookie of the Year"
    Yes, but not just that, he would need "Angels in the Outfield" to help with his non-sinking meatballs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    The same people will snark about the Twins being idiots for letting Blackburn go if he pitches well elsewhere.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sorney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post

Only if he gets one of those red eyes that open and close like a lens....those are scary.
    Yeah, but then wouldn't he want to take over the world? Isn't that kind of a pre-req for all scary looking cyborgs? If that was the case, we should trade him to the Yankees.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    The same people will snark about the Twins being idiots for letting Blackburn go if he pitches well elsewhere.
    I don't know. I don't hear a lot about the "mis-handling" of RA Dickey...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast