Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Sickels: Top 20 Twins Prospects for 2013

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,433
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Sickels: Top 20 Twins Prospects for 2013

    John Sickels posted his Top 20 Twins prospects this morning (actually Top 21)...

    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2013

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,608
    Like
    254
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Fun read. I think his 1-9 is right although he's higher on Arcia than I thought he'd be. The Twins have some nice depth of fast to the majors bullpen arms, too. They won't all make it but enough will. I liked his Polanco write up, Twins 09 international signings were pretty solid with 3 in the top 12.
    His others to consider included Felix Jorge who I think will be a top 10 prospect at this time next year.

    Hudson Boyd has been disappointing. Anyone know if he's going to be a bullpen guy or do the Twins still like him as a starter?

  3. #3
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,433
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Fun read. I think his 1-9 is right although he's higher on Arcia than I thought he'd be. The Twins have some nice depth of fast to the majors bullpen arms, too. They won't all make it but enough will. I liked his Polanco write up, Twins 09 international signings were pretty solid with 3 in the top 12.
    His others to consider included Felix Jorge who I think will be a top 10 prospect at this time next year.

    Hudson Boyd has been disappointing. Anyone know if he's going to be a bullpen guy or do the Twins still like him as a starter?
    Felix Jorge was a 'miss' for me, for sure. I think they'll keep Boyd pitching as a starter as long as they can.

  4. #4
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,618
    Like
    1,117
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    I hope they fast track bullpen guys, but I have my doubts. Cannot really argue his comments, other than maybe Benson.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    133
    Like
    1
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I hope they fast track bullpen guys, but I have my doubts. Cannot really argue his comments, other than maybe Benson.

    Agreed. If not, then what was the purpose of drafting those type of arms.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,531
    Like
    60
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Those rankings are pretty impressive. There is a lot to be excited about, but I'm a little concerned about talk of the relievers drafted last year but no mention of any transition to the rotaion. Surely, Barrios and Taylor Rogers can't be the only productive arms drafted who get a shot at starting in 2013? If they are, my excitement over last years draft does a complete 180.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,270
    Like
    32
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Overall I like Sickel's list a lot but it seems like there is always somebody that surprises me a lot. This list is pretty close to how I would rank them although I would drop Harrison down below goodrum. I wasn't that impressed with his hitting in the appy league and i'll take the athleticism of Goodrum/Polanco.

    The hardest guys for me to rank is the 2012 RP'ers. Partly due knocking RP'ers down the list and partly due to limited pro data. I kind of think that the Twins went the converting RP'ers into starters route in rds 2/3 because the HS pitchers left were pretty lackluster. it might not work out but these guys have talented arms and the Twins should land a bullpen arm or two out of this group.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    757
    Like
    27
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    New Top 20 prospect list=raging boner.

    Pretty solid list. I disagree with Benson being where he is, but I'd say the general concensus this Spring will have him around the 10 range. He still has the tools but I just don't think he will make it to the bigs...plus he has to be around 25-26 by now doesn't he?

  9. #9
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,212
    Like
    366
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Benson took a step back... and a big one. I hope it was just injury related.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    518
    Like
    0
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    I really like Polanco. I think he has a chance to be a special player to be so young. Produced a ton of doubles this season and had a hefty slugging percentage for a 2nd baseman. I also read that Walker had the 2nd most home runs (inlcuding playoffs / 17) of any of the 2012 draftees. He hit over .350 for a career in college and even hit .400 one season. I'll take my chances that he figures it out. He won 2 summer league championships (GLSCL & Cape) and 1 in his first pro season (Appy). The Twins need guys who know how to win. I'm surprised Duffy didn't get as much love as his college teammate Chargois. He was as good if not better this summer. Finally - How does a guy like Romy Jiminez not make the list when he was having triple crown numbers before his knee injury. He is solid in almost every category and seems like a true sleeper who could have made this list.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,270
    Like
    32
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I'm not sure I see a special player in Polanco but I see an above average hitter and fielder which is pretty special to the Twins.

    I will wait on Walker. He did what he should have done as a college player in short season ball. At minimum he should have been a more advanced short season league (NYPL or NWL) but the Twins don't have a team there. he was an excellent pick though.

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,433
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Those rankings are pretty impressive. There is a lot to be excited about, but I'm a little concerned about talk of the relievers drafted last year but no mention of any transition to the rotaion. Surely, Barrios and Taylor Rogers can't be the only productive arms drafted who get a shot at starting in 2013? If they are, my excitement over last years draft does a complete 180.
    Baxendale has always been a starter and will start next year. I think Bard, if healthy, will get a chance to start. There had at one time been talk of having Melotakis make some starts. I would say that Zach Jones, Tyler Duffey and JT Chargois will be only relievers.

  13. #13
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,433
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Benson took a step back... and a big one. I hope it was just injury related.
    Well, my opinion is that injury was a huge part of it. He had no fewer than three serious injuries and two surgeries.

    The other option, and I know most here won't like it, is that he struggled because he was pushed to the Twins too quickly for the September call-up.

  14. #14
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,433
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I really like Polanco. I think he has a chance to be a special player to be so young. Produced a ton of doubles this season and had a hefty slugging percentage for a 2nd baseman. I also read that Walker had the 2nd most home runs (inlcuding playoffs / 17) of any of the 2012 draftees. He hit over .350 for a career in college and even hit .400 one season. I'll take my chances that he figures it out. He won 2 summer league championships (GLSCL & Cape) and 1 in his first pro season (Appy). The Twins need guys who know how to win. I'm surprised Duffy didn't get as much love as his college teammate Chargois. He was as good if not better this summer. Finally - How does a guy like Romy Jiminez not make the list when he was having triple crown numbers before his knee injury. He is solid in almost every category and seems like a true sleeper who could have made this list.
    If Polanco can hit at all in the Midwest League next year, I'll rank him much higher than I did.

    Duffey was a 5th round pick. Chargois was a 2nd round pick. In a year from now, that may not mean much. But at this point, when they each have just 20 minor league innings (and lots of innings at Rice), Chargois has the track record. That said, Duffey was unbelievable in his debut!

    Romy Jimenez definitely is underrated. I thought he was older, but he's still just 20-21, so it's not like he's old for the level. Again, we'll see what happens in a full-season league. It's tough to make much out of Appy League numbers.

    Walker... it all comes down to his ability to make contact. His power is legit.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    518
    Like
    0
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    Assuming that most of these younger guys went to instructionals this past October in Ft Myer - Any word on how they did in terms of making strides in their difficiencies? Any buzz on anybody?

  16. #16
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,212
    Like
    366
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Benson took a step back... and a big one. I hope it was just injury related.
    Well, my opinion is that injury was a huge part of it. He had no fewer than three serious injuries and two surgeries. The other option, and I know most here won't like it, is that he struggled because he was pushed to the Twins too quickly for the September call-up.
    Other than an injury or something, I fail to see how a september callup can be detrimental to anyone's career. AA was over at that point so it's not as though he lost PT. I do hope it was injury, be he struggled pretty bad before he got hurt, and other than a hot week, he didn't do very well once he got back to AA.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Benson took a step back... and a big one. I hope it was just injury related.
    Well, my opinion is that injury was a huge part of it. He had no fewer than three serious injuries and two surgeries.

    The other option, and I know most here won't like it, is that he struggled because he was pushed to the Twins too quickly for the September call-up.
    If 6 years in the minors before getting a call-up to the majors is pushing a player too quickly (especially for a 2nd round pick), I'd hate to see what taking it slow is like...

  18. #18
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    ¨twins fever¨catch it

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    I can't believe he likes Arcia more than we do at TD.

  20. #20
    I don't think I'm comfortable with having this many players on the list that were drafted last year. I don't think that's a sign of a strong system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.