Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PMac: Buehrle an option

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

PMac: Buehrle an option

Color me extremely interested.

Link

I guess it all depends on how much salary the Marlins are willing to eat. But Buehrle is the ultimate 'Twins pitcher' (soft tosser, no walks, works fast)

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins have to give up a really good prospect (Hicks?) for the Marlins to eat $20 million, getting Buehrle for 3yr/$28m is better than they could do on the free agent market. Especially considering how low-risk he is compared to the field.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    If the Twins have to give up a really good prospect (Hicks?) for the Marlins to eat $20 million, getting Buehrle for 3yr/$28m is better than they could do on the free agent market. Especially considering how low-risk he is compared to the field.
    I wouldn't give up anything close to Hicks in that scenario.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 126 Times in 58 Posts
    Please, no. He's a left handed Carl Pavano.

He's a 2010 Carl Pavano which is extremely valuable considering who has started games the past two seasons. If they ate $20-25 million and it cost something like Hendrix and Keplar why not?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It will cost alot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    The 2010 Pavano cost Yohan Pino and a couple million. I would start looking at cheap guys that are similar to Pavano and not expensive ones (even if the Marlins pay half). I also wouldn't give up good prospects.

If the Twins want to compete this year (it's debatable whether or not that's the right course) it makes sense to overpay for dependable pitching. Buhrele gives you essentially what Scott Diamond provided this season, and that is an extremely valuable asset. Buhrele+a good FA (Marcum, E-Jax, etc.) combined with Diamond, a reclamation project (Baker, Colon, etc.) and whoever of Deduno/Gibson/Hendrix/Pedro Hernandez should provide a respectable enough rotation to compete in the AL Central.
    Last edited by Esoteric Ball Guy; 10-29-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like Buehrle and he would instantly be the ace of the rotation. Of course, it all depends on what the Marlins want in return and how much salary they eat BUT he will be 34 by the time the season starts, 36 during the last year of his contract. The Twins should take him only if they have to pay $10-11 mil per year and no prospects (of value) in return. I doubt the Marlins would do that and they probably would not have to because I bet some other team will be willing to risk more.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    The Twins can't keep relying on pitchers who require the defense to make 80% of the outs. Texas leaguers, seeing-eye singles and infield errors are killing this team. No thank you. Buehrle's a good pitcher but he's not a fit for the Twins. They need to start finding guys who can get outs without relying stellar defense and dumb luck. Buehrle as a #2 or #3 is great, Buehrle as an ace is not and the Twins would view him as such.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give up a top prospect for a 34 year old with three years left on his contract, when there are tons of pitchers available in free agency? How could anyone be in favor of that?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Give up a top prospect for a 34 year old with three years left on his contract, when there are tons of pitchers available in free agency? How could anyone be in favor of that?
    Let me first say I am totally against trading for Buehrle. But, I think we are all forgetting how good he was for so long. The dude is a gamer. How many games did we pay to go to, that he turned into less than a 2 hour affair. I was so excited to finally get to Target field the first July it was open. I was also excited because Pavano and Buerle were pitching...two of the most efficient at that time. I had been drinking (at keys and then Huberts) for most of the day and was ready for a nice long game of beer drinking. All I remember was sitting down, realizing how beautiful Target Field was, and all of a sudden it was the 7th inning stretch. Both pitchers went the distance and it was, and I believe still is, the shortest game in Target Field history. The Twins won, but I lost. My stats for the game were two 8 dollar beers. I had brought plenty of cash to have 10 but the time just went to fast. What were we talking about again...

O ya Buerle pitches super fast and I think could still be a great pitcher in the American League. I also was at the game at the MetroDome where he had a hitless streak of like 15 innings going. Then, of all people, Alexi "biggest dip-lip" Cassilla came up and sliced a base hit. I want to say he also scored and we ended up knocking him out that game. This guy needs to be a Twin, if the Marlins eat a huge chunk of that salary and we get him for a C prospect, I am in...

Did I just talk myself into a deal for Mark Buerle and his massive contract...YUP!!

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have to wonder how much 13 straight years of 200+ IP has worn him down, but who knows, Buehrle seems like a guy who could still have some value in his 40s, if he escapes injuries. His contract is not cheap but I wouldn't be surprised if he outperforms it either. Heck at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the HoF

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you have to explore all your options. If Buehrle is the only move they're making, I'd say no. But if we sign a Haren, Sanchez or even Marcum, I think it would be a good move. Considering they just gave up Bell for nothing and ate $8 million, I could see the Marlins eating $15-18 million for a young, cheap starter like Hendriks. Buehrle at 3 years/$30-33 million wouldn't be too bad. Plus who better to teach Diamond how to be the next Buehrle, than Buehrle himself

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget the part where he is owed $48m for those three seasons.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
    I fully expect this to happen. And I fully expect to be depressed about it and reiterate that this is what happens when you concentrate on winning now and not building a quality organization.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    I think you have to explore all your options. If Buehrle is the only move they're making, I'd say no. But if we sign a Haren, Sanchez or even Marcum, I think it would be a good move. Considering they just gave up Bell for nothing and ate $8 million, I could see the Marlins eating $15-18 million for a young, cheap starter like Hendriks. Buehrle at 3 years/$30-33 million wouldn't be too bad. Plus who better to teach Diamond how to be the next Buehrle, than Buehrle himself
    This seems about right. I'm all about solid starters on 2-3 yr contracts. I think the prospect should be a guy like Benson though. Hendriks might bust again next year but this team can't afford to trade any arms.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of my favorite things about Buehrle has always been how fast he works. Seriously, whats worse than a pitcher who takes 45 seconds between pitches.
    But honestly, I just don't know how interested I'd be. His age isn't really a factor for me because of how he throws, but I just don't know if I would want him for the price that he could cost.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 126 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Let me first say I am totally against trading for Buehrle. But, I think we are all forgetting how good he was for so long. The dude is a gamer. How many games did we pay to go to, that he turned into less than a 2 hour affair. I was so excited to finally get to Target field the first July it was open. I was also excited because Pavano and Buerle were pitching...two of the most efficient at that time. I had been drinking (at keys and then Huberts) for most of the day and was ready for a nice long game of beer drinking. All I remember was sitting down, realizing how beautiful Target Field was, and all of a sudden it was the 7th inning stretch. Both pitchers went the distance and it was, and I believe still is, the shortest game in Target Field history. The Twins won, but I lost. My stats for the game were two 8 dollar beers. I had brought plenty of cash to have 10 but the time just went to fast. What were we talking about again...

O ya Buerle pitches super fast and I think could still be a great pitcher in the American League. I also was at the game at the MetroDome where he had a hitless streak of like 15 innings going. Then, of all people, Alexi "biggest dip-lip" Cassilla came up and sliced a base hit. I want to say he also scored and we ended up knocking him out that game. This guy needs to be a Twin, if the Marlins eat a huge chunk of that salary and we get him for a C prospect, I am in...

Did I just talk myself into a deal for Mark Buerle and his massive contract...YUP!!
    Changed my mind. If Buehrle can make Twins games less than two hours I'm all for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast