Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: If Twins Will Trade Justin Morneau, There's A Way Toward Contention

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    I think there are a lot of reasons a Morneau trade won't happen.

1) He's insanely popular with the fan base, the Twins can't just dump his salary. They'd need to get a great package in return and I'm not sure that's out there.
    2) Parmelee might not be a legit MLer. He might be but if he puts up a 80 OPS+ next year, trading Morneau was a horrible move.
    3) Mauer, Willingham, Morneau is a legit 3-4-5 right now. My guess is the FO would rather build around that by moving other parts (Span) and making a few FA additions.
    4) Touched on it in #1 but Morneau's return probably isn't going to be worth it. We won't get an absolute stud back. We might get a solid AA prospect or a current ML back of the rotation pitcher. If we hang onto Morneau and the team flops again, he would very likely have more value at the trade deadline than right now. My guess is that is what the FO does.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Morneau showed a lot the last few weeks and I think he's set for a very good year. Parmalee, on the other hand, has shown nothing, so keep Morneau and trade Parmalee. Against trading Span or Willingham as well. They wont get anything close in return , it would be legitimate foolishness to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    If you want a SS from Texas, better to go after Andrus. They might listen regarding him. I was thinking the Twins should go after him. Then they would have a middle infielder actually capable of batting second (.350 OBP) with speed for the top of the order as Gardy likes it. I'm just not sure what the Twins could offer that would be acceptable to them.
    I agreee. Andrus is already a proven player. He and Span are both plus up the middle defenders and are comparable at the plate. Both teams have new guys coming up, Revere and Profar. We have had a whole at SS FOREVER and their CF is gonna leave through free agency.

Liked 2,191 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really think Seattle is about to go into searching for offense mode. If not this year... Next year for sure. King Felix will be joined by that trio of starters Hultzen, Walker and Paxton and if they become what they can become... The Mariners will be a team to fear shortly down the road. It's a question of timing your offensive push to their devolopment.

However, I seriously doubt that the Mariners will cough up any of those young pitchers or risk chasing it's tail like a dog. It seems it would make more sense for Seattle to wait for 2014 to try and sign Justin as a free agent. I could be wrong... I probably am.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that they might have interest in Span, but in no way is that enough to seal the deal. Just a guess here, but Span, Arcia and Hermsen might do it, but that probably isn't enough.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was also thinking Seattle might be a good trade target. Morneau plus an OF prospect might do it. With Morneau's contract I doubt he is enough. As John said at the beginning, anything we can get plus clearing his salary will help. Seattle definitely needs some offense.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Contrary to the Washington Post bias, LaRoche is not 'legitimately good'. They are none on the free agent market.

Liked 689 Times in 361 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is an interesting discussion. I would hate to lose Morneau, but the Twins need pitching.

Junior Member Rookie gilesferrell's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Contrary to the Washington Post bias, LaRoche is not 'legitimately good'. They are none on the free agent market.
    Are you kidding?! .271, 33 HR, and 100 RBI does not count as legitimately good?
    "They are the team Minnesota deserves, not the one they need right now."

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    Morneau showed a lot the last few weeks and I think he's set for a very good year. Parmalee, on the other hand, has shown nothing, so keep Morneau and trade Parmalee. Against trading Span or Willingham as well. They wont get anything close in return , it would be legitimate foolishness to do so.
    Indeed
    that guy does not exist.

And...
    the status quo lost 95+ games the last 2 seasons. Got to change something, don't you think?
    Last edited by Thrylos; 10-27-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's my problem with the various "let's trade Span/Morneau/Mauer/Willingham pitching" problem: the offense is decent, and potentially good, but it won't be anymore if you trade away the guys at the top of the order.

Dealing Morneau now is selling low. And selling low as been part of what has gotten the Twins here. They have rarely sold high. They have either sold low (e.g. Delmon and Hardy) or simply let guys walk away (Cuddyer, Kubel, Nathan, Hunter).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    Dealing Morneau now is selling low. .
    ok
    just some perspective here.
    in 2012

Justin Morneau hit:
    .267/.333/.440, 19 HR, 77 RBI
    for the Twins making $14MM

and Delmon Young hit:

.267/.296/.411, 18 HR, 74 RBI
    for the Tigers

not that much different.
    (speaking of selling low...)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Selling low on Morneau would have been trading him last year at this point. I tend to think his value will only increase as next season goes on, so generally I say keep him until the deadline. That said, if someone were to offer a higer upside minor league pitcher for him, you do it, especially if that means there's an extra 14M available to go out and get one of the better starters out there.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,501 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Justin Morneau hit:

and Delmon Young hit:

for the Tigers

not that much different.
    Since when is an 89 OPS+ "not that much different" from a 113 OPS+?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    ok
    in 2012

Justin Morneau hit:

and Delmon Young hit:

for the Tigers

not that much different.
    Only if you're looking in a vacuum. Let's see what happens if we look at ballpark adjustments and WAR. One was 113 OPS+ and .9 WAR and the other was 87 OPS+ and -1.2 WAR. One has a history of being a good player, one doesn't. One seems to be coming back from injury to become a good player again. The other is a bad player.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    John, I agree.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ok
    in 2012

Justin Morneau hit:

and Delmon Young hit:

for the Tigers

not that much different.
    ---I don't see how this is even relevant to anything I said, much less adds perspective.

Reality check

So much pie in the sky thinking here. First, Texas is looking to deal Andrus for DAVID PRICE, not saying it will happen but just giving an idea of how far off some thinking is here. Morneau is overpaid for the production he brings at this stage of his career. Also, no one will trade elite, contollable prospects for him. The Pittsburgh idea has no conception of worth or the mentality of the other team. One of the only ones talking sense here is the original author who says give him up for essentially nothing (except to sign a 2nd sp). A good but non-elite AA is probably the best the Twins can obtain. I think (if) the Twins get a AA prospect and are able to sign a second sp @ $14 million it is a good baseball move to trade Morneau.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post

You're obviously right about the one year thing - but Morneau's salary is gone after this year, too. Plus, there are added TV revenues. The Twins are gaining more flexibility, not less, in the next few seasons. Being able to afford one of those contracts in 2013 is by far the biggest barrier.
    There is zero barrier to signing any of the pitchers in FA. The Twins can spend close to 30M before they hit the 100M with Morneau on the roster. The only real barrier is that you're likely committing big dollars to a declining 30 something starter. I've shown in a recent thread that is not good investment but that doesn't change that the Twins can afford it w/o dumping Morneau.

Fair enough. Based on your assumption of Morneau's projected 2013 performance, what should the Twins do after the season and Morneau's contract ends? Compete in the open market to retain his services? Make a qualifying offer and hope he declines and signs elsewhere to obtain a supplemental draft choice?--and what if he does accept said qualifying offer? Any team that has Morneau for the entire season can obtain compensation under the above mentioned conditions. A trade after the season starts--and no compensation if he signs elsewhere. In short, I'm asking is a supplemental draft choice and his services for next season worth more than trading him (personnel recieved and personnel that can be added due to his $14M salary)?
    1) The first thing I DON'T do is dump him this offseason. John tried to make it sound like he's a player in demand but that just isn't true. He's an avg hitting first baseman with injury issues making 14M. The only way the Twins get a halfway decent prospect (ranked in the Twins top 10-20) is if they pick up at least half of the contract. I'm sorry but that's just silly. At that point you might as well keep him and keep the fans happy.

2) To answer all of your other questions. Try to trade him at the deadline if he keeps rebounding. If not then decide if he's worth a qualifying offer or a new (reduced) deal based on his 2013. Maybe you get nothing for him (other than a fan favorite and a solid player for a year) but dumping him AND paying a team to take him would be foolish.

Lets trade all of our crappy guys and huge contract guys for all of the the elite, major-league ready prospects in baseball.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast