Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Roster Reconstruction Begins

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the point is that, whatever the Twins think they've seen in Slama that makes them skeptical of his ability to be a Major League pitcher, it would appear other organizations have seen the same thing. I've never been to a minor league game where there weren't at least half a dozen (and sometimes as many as 20) scouts on hand to evaluate the players on both rosters and it would just appear that there haven't been too many of them rushing to call their GM to encourage them to try to get Slama from the Twins.

That being said, I do think he deserves a legitimate shot somewhere and I hope he gets it with some organization this spring.
    Last edited by Jim Crikket; 10-25-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So a player that clears waivers cannot be good? Nothing is proven on Slama until he actually pitches in the majors, or never pitches there. But I have little doubt he will pitch for a different team next year.
    Of course. We all believe that Slama can be a decent back-of-the-bullpen reliever. My point was that, when the Twins let him become available, not one other team claimed him and he didn't lose an option year in 2012. I believe he can be solid and certainly deserves the chance, but the Twins have certainly measured him as a prospect accurately.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    what is the requirement for minor league Rule 5...where the Twins grabbed Marty Popham last season. They have to be A-ball or below and be added to AA/AAA rosters for the season? The Twins seem to lose a couple of guys this way each year.
    This used to always confuse me too. I finally found something that explains it. The minor league portion has two phases - AAA phase and AA phase. For the AAA phase, the player has to be AA or below, and the new club is required to keep him on the AAA reserve roster (but not necessarily on the AAA active roster) the entire season, or he goes back. For the AA phase, the player has to be A or below, with the same roster requirements (has to be on the AA reserve roster the entire season).

That makes it slightly different than the major league phase, as players taken in that have to stay on the active roster all year and not just the reserve roster.

For AAA teams the reserve roster can have up to 38 players; AA can have up to 37 players; A and below can have up to 35 players. For the major leagues, of course, the reserve roster is the 40-man roster.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Slama wasn't claimed last year because he was injured. He would get claimed this year, and become a reliable part of someone else's bullpen unless the Twins protect him.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,182 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Slama wasn't claimed last year because he was injured. He would get claimed this year, and become a reliable part of someone else's bullpen unless the Twins protect him.
    Why is everybody so convinced of this, despite the fact a lot of pretty knowledgeable baseball people aren't? I get giving him a chance, he does deserve it, but all these proclamations of guaranteed success is a little presumptuous.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts

Eureka

Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Why is everybody so convinced of this, despite the fact a lot of pretty knowledgeable baseball people aren't? I get giving him a chance, he does deserve it, but all these proclamations of guaranteed success is a little presumptuous.
    I venture this guess--the same reason why people buy metal detectors and roam the beaches and fields.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    so its ok to give drew butera , a roster spot, but not to give slama a look?
    wasnt there a jones in san diego 30 years ago who no one thought was very good?
    anthony slama has done what ever is asked, where is the twins loyalty now?
    they brought nishi up, kept gray on the roster, manship, but not slama? hmm

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    what is the requirement for minor league Rule 5...where the Twins grabbed Marty Popham last season. They have to be A-ball or below and be added to AA/AAA rosters for the season? The Twins seem to lose a couple of guys this way each year.
    This used to always confuse me too. I finally found something that explains it. The minor league portion has two phases - AAA phase and AA phase. For the AAA phase, the player has to be AA or below, and the new club is required to keep him on the AAA reserve roster (but not necessarily on the AAA active roster) the entire season, or he goes back. For the AA phase, the player has to be A or below, with the same roster requirements (has to be on the AA reserve roster the entire season).

That makes it slightly different than the major league phase, as players taken in that have to stay on the active roster all year and not just the reserve roster.

For AAA teams the reserve roster can have up to 38 players; AA can have up to 37 players; A and below can have up to 35 players. For the major leagues, of course, the reserve roster is the 40-man roster.
    You say a player has to be "AA or below" to be eligible for the AAA phase of the Rule 5 draft. Does that mean any draft eligible player not on the Twins 38 man AAA reserve roster?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Basically there is the 40 man MLB roster. There is a 38 man AAA roster, and a 37 man AA roster. If a player is eligible, but not put on the 40 man roster, he can still be put on the AAA roster. Who is eligible for the AAA reserve list? Take the MLB rules for eligibility and subtract a year. Do the same for the AA roster. So, Alex Wimmers doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster this year for the Twins, but he would have to be next year. That means he has to be added to the AAA roster this year. if a player is taken in the minor league portion, he stays with the other organization. None of the have-to-be-offered-back stuff. It's more difficult to know because the AAA and AA reserve lists are not made public (to my knowledge).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    [QUOTE=twinsnorth49;59905]

It is like cheering for the second string QB in football

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Basically there is the 40 man MLB roster. There is a 38 man AAA roster, and a 37 man AA roster. If a player is eligible, but not put on the 40 man roster, he can still be put on the AAA roster. Who is eligible for the AAA reserve list? Take the MLB rules for eligibility and subtract a year. Do the same for the AA roster. So, Alex Wimmers doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster this year for the Twins, but he would have to be next year. That means he has to be added to the AAA roster this year. if a player is taken in the minor league portion, he stays with the other organization. None of the have-to-be-offered-back stuff. It's more difficult to know because the AAA and AA reserve lists are not made public (to my knowledge).
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    so its ok to give drew butera , a roster spot, but not to give slama a look?
    wasnt there a jones in san diego 30 years ago who no one thought was very good?
    anthony slama has done what ever is asked, where is the twins loyalty now?
    they brought nishi up, kept gray on the roster, manship, but not slama? hmm
    Right, hmmmm, I wonder why? I did say he has earned the chance but my point is that I suspect the expectation of success a lot of people have is going to result in a lot of disappointment.

No it's not ok to give Drew Butera a roster spot under any circumstances.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I think you are putting words in our mouths. Most posters here admit they do not know if Slama can be good, we just want him to get the same chance some horrible veterans have received. If he succeeds, great. If not, at least they gave him a shot to show if his AAA success translates.

I think you are putting words in our mouths. Most posters here admit they do not know if Slama can be good, we just want him to get the same chance some horrible veterans have received. If he succeeds, great. If not, at least they gave him a shot to show if his AAA success translates.
    I'm not trying to do that and I get it but there have been a lot of people over numerous threads that confidently state that he would be a reliable bullpen performer for any team that picked him up. Maybe, you're not one of them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    He strikes out a lot and he walks a lot...the exact opposite of a Twins pitcher. It's funny, they even said too many of his strikeouts are caught looking strikeouts which are, apparently, less valuable than swinging strikeouts

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Slama finds his way into every thread. We talk about him more than Mauer, Mornie, and Span combined. The funny thing is, most people are arguing that it isn't FAIR for him not to get a shot. Come on now, lets give him a participation medal and maybe he'll feel better about himself.

Lets remember that this is a business, the currency is wins, and if the guy was good enough, he would have been called up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Slama finds his way into every thread. We talk about him more than Mauer, Mornie, and Span combined. The funny thing is, most people are arguing that it isn't FAIR for him not to get a shot. Come on now, lets give him a participation medal and maybe he'll feel better about himself.

Lets remember that this is a business, the currency is wins, and if the guy was good enough, he would have been called up.
    He's got a minor league career ERA under 2.00 (this last season 1.24). He's averages over 12 Ks per 9IP (13.9 this year). He doesn't give up the long ball (1 HR allowed this year). The only knock on him is he walks a bit too many which is the kiss of death for a Twins prospect.

People see numbers like that, they understandably ask why. I don't see why that's such a bad question. The argument is, if he was worth bringing up they would have? Why? Because the Twins have shown themselves to be great judges of pitching talent lately?
    Last edited by ThePuck; 10-26-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

. The argument is, if he was worth bringing up they would have? Why? Because the Twins have shown themselves to be great judges of pitching talent lately?
    88 mph fastball for a reliever is kind of slow. Great at deception in the minors. He will get a shot at ST. If a club wants him for 50K it will because they looked at the slash line, not the scouting reports.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

He's got a minor league career ERA under 2.00 (this last season 1.24). He's averages over 12 Ks per 9IP (13.9 this year). He doesn't give up the long ball (1 HR allowed this year). The only knock on him is he walks a bit too many which is the kiss of death for a Twins prospect.

People see numbers like that, they understandably ask why. I don't see why that's such a bad question. The argument is, if he was worth bringing up they would have? Why? Because the Twins have shown themselves to be great judges of pitching talent lately?
    He cleared waivers and wasn't selected as a Rule 5, apparently every other team is showing to have the same judgment as the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    He was coming off injury, wasn't he?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast