Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Purge Matt Capps And Seven Others From 40-Man Roster

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    kinda feels like washing up before dinner

Manship,Perdomo, Carson & Walters were recalled twice each. Waldrop made the club out of spring training & was recalled twice also. Vazques was their 'prize' Sept recall.
    Media were praising TRyan for his offseason minor league signings like Gray, Florimon, Vazquez, Walters, Carson, Deduno, Perdomo, etc......
    When these guys were placed on waivers, not a single team claimed anybody showing everyone what a talentless group of players they had in the organization, which is why they've had the worst record in the AL & 2nd worst in baseball the past 2 yrs.
    Keep purging these type of players & sign some real major league talent.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting to see that Baker and Pavano are still on the roster. I think they should move ahead with Baker and they should not in any way with Pavano. Having Pavano in the roster and losing Gutierrez does not make much sense. Interesting also to see the team keep 4 Cs on the 40-man. I just don't see any reason for keeping Butera there. They do. Guess they value him more than a former first round pick who is a prospect
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,603 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Manship,Perdomo, Carson & Walters were recalled twice each. Waldrop made the club out of spring training & was recalled twice also. Vazques was their 'prize' Sept recall.
    Media were praising TRyan for his offseason minor league signings like Gray, Florimon, Vazquez, Walters, Carson, Deduno, Perdomo, etc......
    When these guys were placed on waivers, not a single team claimed anybody showing everyone what a talentless group of players they had in the organization, which is why they've had the worst record in the AL & 2nd worst in baseball the past 2 yrs.
    That's how this game is played. I notice that you conveniently left Burton off that list. The front office isn't going to strike gold every time. If they get one quality player out of a batch of scrubs (and they did), that's considered a win. You let the rest go and try again the next year, hoping to strike gold with another one or two guys.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,603 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Interesting to see that Baker and Pavano are still on the roster. I think they should move ahead with Baker and they should not in any way with Pavano. Having Pavano in the roster and losing Gutierrez does not make much sense. Interesting also to see the team keep 4 Cs on the 40-man. I just don't see any reason for keeping Butera there. They do. Guess they value him more than a former first round pick who is a prospect
    What is the point of clearing Pavano off the 40 man (I'm not even sure that's allowed...)? The guy is gone in less than ten days anyway.

At this point in the season, the 40 man roster is not a game of musical chairs. You dump those you don't want, keep those you do, and ignore the free agents. After you're done with that, you start rebuilding next year's 40 man.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gray wasn't a 6-year minor league guy. He was claimed by the Twins (by Bill Smith).
    Pedro Florimon wasn't a 6-year minor league guy. He was claimed, then DFAd.
    Yes, the other 5 were minor league signings. That's correct.
    Every team signs 8-12 minor league free agents every year. The Twins got contributions in the big leagues from Jared Burton and Casey Fien and they remain on the roster. That's more than most team's 6-year minor league free agents. Opportunity gave some of the other guys a chance with the Twins. Most 6-year minor league free agents are brought in for the AAA team.
    So yes, the Twins did a tremendous job with their 6-year minor league free agents last offseason!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Pavano comes off the 40 man roster a couple minutes after the World Series is completed. That just happens automatically.

No reason to take Baker off the 40 man list until they have to decide on his option. No need to (officially) do that until they have to which likely is a certain number of days after the World Series. Obviously they'll decline that, but would likely prefer to have a deal with him before that time.

Now Pavano and the Twins will part as Pavano is a free agent.

The Twins will decline Scott Baker's option, making him a free agent (I'm sure there is some discussion happening).

I think the Twins hoped Gutierrez would slip thru, but he didn't.

The other names, all signable if the Twins which to rekeep on a minor league basis, but they need to make room to protect SOME future prospects.

Expect to see Casilla and Butera also released rather than arbirate. I think Swarzak might be on the bubble, too. These three can wait and be swapped out if the Twins wish to make any minor league free agent claims of guys necessary to add to the 40-man.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Waldrop a little surprising, but not major.

The decision to not want Capps came about two and a half years too late. Nope, no need for Wilson Ramos on this team...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Any news on the Alexi Casilla front? Are they looking to keep, move, or release him?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,306 Times in 704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Isn't that what they just did? Having a number of guys that fall into this category every year is pretty common, don't you think? Some you find have real major league talent and most don't so you keep looking.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Any news on the Alexi Casilla front? Are they looking to keep, move, or release him?
    I'm hoping they move on...

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like this move. Shows the Twins are not going to hold onto players just to hold onto them. Clears room for new talent brought in by waivers or via FA.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can smell the off season starting to cook now. The dinner bell will be ringing soon enough.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Slightly surprised about Waldrop, other than that its pretty much what I expected.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow look at all this new content!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hope they move on with Casilla and others as well. We need to change this roster into more talent. Expect the roster to be about 30 before adding the minor leagures need (about 3 - 5), Hicks and Gibson for sure and a couple of others to protect (Hermann, Tonkin, Pugh) and maybe others.