Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Article: Contemplating Bringing Scott Baker Back

  1. #1
    Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    574
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    427

    Article: Contemplating bringing Scott Baker back


  2. #2
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    The only thing i remember about Scott Baker is he is great when their is no pressure. Maybe a 1 yr 3 million deal would work.

  3. #3
    I would like to see Bake back next year. He actually has some upside and would sign for a reasonable 1 year deal, perhaps with an option or two.

    Assuming they sign him, I'd like to see the Twins get creative in how they limit innings for him as well as Gibson. I would recommend going with a 6 man staff, but not a 6 guys taking each turn type of rotation. I would do:

    Normal 5 man rotation type workload:
    #1 FA Signing (Marcum, Sanchez, whomever they sign from that 2nd tier group)
    #2 Diamond

    Take 3 out of every 4 turns in a normal 5 man rotation:
    Baker
    Gibson
    Hendricks
    Deduno

    Basically keep 4 guys on your 25 roster to take up those 3-5 spots in the rotation. It would slightly limit your bullpen, but having a 12 man bullpen is over-kill anyway. This would result in the FA signing & Diamond getting 33 starts and the other 4 guys getting 24. Obviously injuries would play a part. but this plan would keep the young & recovering arms to around 160 innings instead of 200+.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,727
    Like
    1,558
    Liked 1,579 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    The only thing i remember about Scott Baker is he is great when their is no pressure. Maybe a 1 yr 3 million deal would work.
    There's nothing wrong with bringing him back on a one year deal with incentives, just as long as he's not counted on as one of the three pitchers Ryan says he needs to find in the offseason.

    But that won't happen. The Twins would absolutely count on him to duplicate his best season, and if/when he gets hurt, they'll probably misdiagnose it again, and he'll end up missing half the season or more, again. When that happens, there will be no backup plan in place, and Ryan will try to wave away the injury as both unforeseeable and unpreventable. And when the fan base questions the credibility of a front office that obtuse, Ryan will politely instruct them to shut up and eat their seven dollar bratwursts.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 10-24-2012 at 05:20 PM.

  5. #5
    Would Baker want to come back? They (the Twins) never seemed too thrilled with him while he was healthy and called him out in the media at the very time they couldn't figure out he needed TJ procedure. Not to mention other teams will surely show interest in his services.

    I hope they say goodbye. He's never been durable, or as you mention been an innnigs eater. At this time I think they're better off with some of their younger guys or just about anything else. Truth be told, the guy could flat out dominate at times and I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if he comes back strong. But is it worth paying and waiting and hoping?

    I would put odds at 95% the Twins don't offer him anything after they reject his option.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,217
    Like
    97
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    I am convinced Baker will be back--and will count as one of three "new" pitchers referenced. Let's face quality pitchers will not be eager to play for the Twins next season and it appears that Baker is interested (at least) to stay.

  7. #7
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,500
    Like
    840
    Liked 1,173 Times in 624 Posts
    How is bringing Baker back at the right price not a good idea? So he's had some health issues, so have lots of guys.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I am convinced Baker will be back--and will count as one of three "new" pitchers referenced. Let's face quality pitchers will not be eager to play for the Twins next season and it appears that Baker is interested (at least) to stay.
    So...Baker, Gibson, Diamond, Marcum (maube) and maybe, Deduno?

  9. #9
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,195
    Like
    358
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    any rotation that is nothing but a bunch of names from this organization is a failure. They need new pitchers.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,457
    Like
    64
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    30
    They can guarantee his return by picking up the option. At one year, I would pay the premium to guarantee he is on the roster.

    I would not count on his public comments that he would like to return as a sign that the Twins can get him at a bargain price.

    My guess is his agent will push for him to go elsewhere once the option is declined. It is very rare for a player to have an option declined and then return to the same team at a bargain rate.

  11. #11
    There are only two rock-solid sure things we can count on right now regarding this rotation:

    1. Scott Diamond will be back
    2. Nick Blackburn will be given every opportunity to make it back onto the 40-man roster

    I doubt we'll see Gibson until mid-June, to avoid Super-2 status on him. If the comments of Ryan are to be taken seriously, and they are targeting adding three pitchers, Baker will likely be one of the three. Marcum would be a typical Twins-type acquisition, and I'd be fine with that. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan count another year from Pavano as one of the three. I'm not so enthused about that choice, as he wasn't too effective this year before the injury.

    So, don't be surprised to see your 2013 Twins' opening day roster of starters to be Marcum, Diamond, Baker, Pavano and Blackburn (with Deduno back in Rochester working on his control and Hendricks waiting for an injury or for the inevitable Blackburn-sucks demotion to occur).

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    There are only two rock-solid sure things we can count on right now regarding this rotation:

    1. Scott Diamond will be back
    2. Nick Blackburn will be given every opportunity to make it back onto the 40-man roster

    I doubt we'll see Gibson until mid-June, to avoid Super-2 status on him. If the comments of Ryan are to be taken seriously, and they are targeting adding three pitchers, Baker will likely be one of the three. Marcum would be a typical Twins-type acquisition, and I'd be fine with that. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan count another year from Pavano as one of the three. I'm not so enthused about that choice, as he wasn't too effective this year before the injury.

    So, don't be surprised to see your 2013 Twins' opening day roster of starters to be Marcum, Diamond, Baker, Pavano and Blackburn (with Deduno back in Rochester working on his control and Hendricks waiting for an injury or for the inevitable Blackburn-sucks demotion to occur).
    I think you're on the right track but I don't think we'll see Pavano back on the team. Maybe someone like him but not Carl himself. As a second or third FA option, I'm not against that kind of pick-up as long as the org picks up a legitimate free agent alongside him.

    I doubt we'll see Blackburn back on the 40 man unless he absolutely shuts down Spring Training hitters (I mean, really shuts them down). Teams don't take guys off the 40 man without the expectation that they will stay off of it. Moving guys on and off the list is too complicated, especially mid-season.

    Besides, I think the team is probably more keen on De Vries at this point than Blackburn anyway (as they should be).

  13. #13
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    133
    Like
    1
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Baker is a no-doubter in my mind. The dude is a quality pitcher (albiet not super durable) on a staff that is full of question marks to say the least.

  14. #14
    What can the Twins get for $20 million in 2013, and add another $30 million to the mix in 2014...all earmarked for starters. That is the question. One $10 and two $5, and how much for a second, not to bring up options for a third.

  15. #15
    I support bringing back Baker. No sure thing there, but he should be ready early enough next year, and let's not forget that this guy was essentially our "ace" before everything fell apart. Not Liriano (too erratic), not Pavano (had one good year), but Baker. So if he could've made $9.25 million without the TJ surgery, I don't think he's taking $1 million or $2 million next year. He can get a better 1-year deal somewhere for sure, but even in the $3 to $6 million range he's a better value than paying a healthy guy in the FA market.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    292
    Like
    4
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I support bringing back Baker. No sure thing there, but he should be ready early enough next year, and let's not forget that this guy was essentially our "ace" before everything fell apart. Not Liriano (too erratic), not Pavano (had one good year), but Baker. So if he could've made $9.25 million without the TJ surgery, I don't think he's taking $1 million or $2 million next year. He can get a better 1-year deal somewhere for sure, but even in the $3 to $6 million range he's a better value than paying a healthy guy in the FA market.
    Colby Lewis got a 1 year deal for $2 million with up to an additional $4 million in incentives. That's about the same range I expect for Baker. I just hope they add a second year option.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,217
    Like
    97
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts

    Won't be chump change

    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I support bringing back Baker. No sure thing there, but he should be ready early enough next year, and let's not forget that this guy was essentially our "ace" before everything fell apart. Not Liriano (too erratic), not Pavano (had one good year), but Baker. So if he could've made $9.25 million without the TJ surgery, I don't think he's taking $1 million or $2 million next year. He can get a better 1-year deal somewhere for sure, but even in the $3 to $6 million range he's a better value than paying a healthy guy in the FA market.
    Colby Lewis got a 1 year deal for $2 million with up to an additional $4 million in incentives. That's about the same range I expect for Baker. I just hope they add a second year option.
    Baker and the Twins are a good fit--and both know it. Baker will have a savvy agent and will have "sniffed around" to gauge Baker's market value. The Twins will assuredly have a codicile in the contract to allow them to extend it beyond 2013--the need for pitching goes beyond 2013 and they won't want to lose Baker without compensation should he have a strong season.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,457
    Like
    64
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I support bringing back Baker. No sure thing there, but he should be ready early enough next year, and let's not forget that this guy was essentially our "ace" before everything fell apart. Not Liriano (too erratic), not Pavano (had one good year), but Baker. So if he could've made $9.25 million without the TJ surgery, I don't think he's taking $1 million or $2 million next year. He can get a better 1-year deal somewhere for sure, but even in the $3 to $6 million range he's a better value than paying a healthy guy in the FA market.
    Colby Lewis got a 1 year deal for $2 million with up to an additional $4 million in incentives. That's about the same range I expect for Baker. I just hope they add a second year option.
    The Rangers take on the risk that Lewis will not pitch until after the all star break and possibly much later. Even then, it may take some time to get back to speed and he may be on reduced pitch counts. Baker is much further along on the recovery path.

  19. #19
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,195
    Like
    358
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post

    I doubt we'll see Gibson until mid-June, to avoid Super-2 status on him.
    Just to pick a nit here, but if Gibson made the rotation out of spring training, he would not be super 2 elligible after his second season, as he would have exactly 2 years of service time. Super 2 tends to affect people who get called up for a good chunk of a partial season (i.e. calling him up in say June and he stays on the roster)... you have to have aproximately 2 1/3 years of service to be a super 2.

  20. #20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.