Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Position Analysis: Catcher

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Position Analysis: Catcher

Good post, Nick. I'd like to give Herrmann one more year of seasoning (Bill Smith mentioned at the Rock Cats Hot Stove thing I went to that Herrmann would likely be starting at AA again), but then hopefully he can step into that back-up role next season.

Also, thanks for the link on the Star Trib today!

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gotta agree 100%, the team is much better prepared if anything happens to Joe. I only hope that being able to cycle Joe to 1B and DH helps keep him healthy. I think it will, I think the the past Joe played through more bumps and bruises because there wasn't a decent backup, except for Morales a few years back. I think this caused him to get even more banged up. Joe has said he doesn't like to DH because he can't stay lose on the bench and because he is such a competitor that he wants to be out there.

Playing him at 1B maybe less at DH with a lot less of a drop off between his offense and Doumit's as compared to the poo poo platter of the past should definitely help.

That being said, if Herrmann is a year away from being a backup, who's to say he's not three away from starting? Would this allow for Joe to move to 1st on a more permanent basis? I just don't have faith in Morneau's concussions staying away. What about Parmelee? can hey play anywhere else than 1st? What about 3rd? I think this is a make or Break year for Valencia, if he doesn't improve defensively I think we're going to see Gardy kick him out. Sano is a few years away, so someone would have to step up there.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that I left this comment in the wrong place so I am reposting it here:

I am trying to do a bit of math, looking at Mauer's slash line, career tendencies and 2011 line:
    Career average isoD (OBP-BA) is .080, 2011 isoD was .073
    Career average isoP (SLG-BA) is .148, 2011 isoP was .081

with a .310 BA, using career averages OBP would be .390 and SLG .458; and 2011 (worse case) numbers OBP would be .383 and SLG .391

so that .310/.370./.460 assumes a career isoP and a well below career isoD, which may result if he becomes more of a free swinger, but I highly doubt that. I really think that .310/.385/.450 might probably be more realistic; however, I really think that that .310 will be closer to .325 this season
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Assuming Twins can find a consistant/serviceable catcher to replace Joe. I personally feel if Mauer was at 1st base on a regular basis he flirts with a .400 batting avg. easily. Then you make Morneau your regular DH and you see what kind of deal you can make (that might include Parmalee) for a starting pitcher.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    As I posted on the STrib....why not have the AAA catchers in AAA, and if there is an injury, use an airplane to get them to wherever the Twins are? Why waste a roster spot, game after game, on the chance there is an injury? Aren't they better off with more contributing players?

A lot of hope going into 2 of the most injury prone catchers in the game

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think that I left this comment in the wrong place so I am reposting it here:

I am trying to do a bit of math, looking at Mauer's slash line, career tendencies and 2011 line:
    Career average isoD (OBP-BA) is .080, 2011 isoD was .073
    Career average isoP (SLG-BA) is .148, 2011 isoP was .081

with a .310 BA, using career averages OBP would be .390 and SLG .458; and 2011 (worse case) numbers OBP would be .383 and SLG .391

so that .310/.370./.460 assumes a career isoP and a well below career isoD, which may result if he becomes more of a free swinger, but I highly doubt that. I really think that .310/.385/.450 might probably be more realistic; however, I really think that that .310 will be closer to .325 this season
    The problem with the statistical breakdown is Mauer's health. He has only been healthy half of his career, and when he is he hits great, when he plays injured he hits 290

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    As I posted on the STrib....why not have the AAA catchers in AAA, and if there is an injury, use an airplane to get them to wherever the Twins are? Why waste a roster spot, game after game, on the chance there is an injury? Aren't they better off with more contributing players?
    short answer: yes.

slightly longer answer: yes, but Gardenhire seems to be extremely risk-adverse when it comes to the prospect of "losing" the DH, so that's probably the real reason we "need" a 3rd catcher on the 25 man roster. Hopefully Towles can out-hit Butera enough to get the job so there's a possibility out 3rd catcher won't be a complete offensive black hole.

I posted this yesterday - but it fits here so:

Geez - relax people - it's Spring Training!

OK - So here is my problem with Drew Butera as the 3rd catcher-

Traditionally you get your power numbers from the outfield corners, the infield corners and the catcher.

Consider this:

Late in the game, Twins down and need a boost - you look down the bench for a hitter, and who is there? Luke Hughes - maybe a 12-15 homer per season guy, Tsuyoshi Nishioka - maybe a 1-2 homer per season guy, and Drew Butera!!!!! Maybe a 0 homer, .177 BA, .190 OBP guy! We just have to stop giving up the power positions for Gardy's irrational fear of being withpout a DH. Or, at least carry someone who can hit their weight!

BTW - Love your podcasts!

I agree with Itwedt, there needs to be more power on the bench, send Butera elsewhere.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Likely Starter: Joe Mauer.

A brave and bold prediction!

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At the moment it doesn't really matters who the third catcher is. There should only be two Catchers to start out the season. Save the spot for another OF/IF bat that could provide off the bench past the 7th inning.
    Until Mauer or Doumit go down, there isn't much to talk about. Sure, you could plan ahead but save the seat for someone who can hit the ball.