Article: Shawn Marcum could be a fit for the Twins

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I *heart* Parker.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This reminds me of your analysis of Willingham last year. Marcum is a pitcher who might fit very well in this ballpark and somehow will be fairly cheap.

Am I to believe that the Twins could baseline Baker and Marcum for a combined amount under $10 million for one year!? Let roll the damn incentives up to $20 million! If they perform great, $20 million would be worth it. If not,$10 or so is not killing the team for one year.

According to Ryan, you aren't getting a pitcher unless it's a multi-year deal. Would Marcum be an exception to that?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would be happy with anything between 1-3 years for Marcum. Obviously 1 is low risk for the ball club, but 2-3 would control his cost in case he stays healthy and outperforms his contract like Willingham did this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Marcum will not save the Twins, he is nottin more than what we got.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Marcum will not save the Twins, he is nottin more than what we got.
    True. Marcum does have two arms, two legs, and is capable of throwing a baseball from a mound.

Past that, there aren't many similarities between him and the crap the Twins rolled out in the #2-5 spots in the rotation.

FYI - It's Shaun, not Shawn.

So maybe a Pavano lookalike (when at his best - think 2010) or a touch better, if only because of some consistency. Not a true number 1, but mid to top of the rotation guy. 60% wins, 3.7+/- era and 200 innings. That would be better than almost all of what was run out there last year.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Of 10,000 Beasts View Post
    According to Ryan, you aren't getting a pitcher unless it's a multi-year deal. Would Marcum be an exception to that?
    I'd give a guy like Marcum two years with a team option for the third.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Did I hear Bruce Chen?

Maybe the Twins could work out a trade with the Royals for Chen. He's only under contract through 2013 for 4.5 million.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    He's not my top choice by any means. Fastball velocity could get even more scary as he ages.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Marcum is one of 2-3 solid additions to the rotation, I'd be OK with that. If he's THE new top man of the Twins 2013 rotation, not so OK with it.

I think Marcum is gonna have 5-10 teams chasing him as a 1-2 yr cheap option & that will drive up his price to 3yrs & put him 'just' out of the Twins range (which they seem to do often)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Marcum would be a great addition. He'd be the best pitcher we've signed in FA since Kenny Rogers.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Marcum would be a nice addition. If there's competition for him, the Twins are unlikely to get him, however.
    Something tells me he gets away.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's bound to be competition for pretty much anyone of value, which means you may have to roll the dice and go a little high for someone. I'd like to have Marcum, but I'm not sure he'd be the guy I would overspend for.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Seriously, don't the Twins have a half dozen Marcums in the organization already? There seems to be no need to commit years to a pitcher that doesn't represent a meaningful change for the future? It's better to commit to one excellent pitcher than two "decent" veterans.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Seriously, don't the Twins have a half dozen Marcums in the organization already? There seems to be no need to commit years to a pitcher that doesn't represent a meaningful change for the future? It's better to commit to one excellent pitcher than two "decent" veterans.
    It's clear that you have no idea how good marcum is. The Twins have ZERO pitchers as good as Marcum. the concern is that he'll be injured and not pitch at all.

ERA's the last five years
    TJ

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Yeah I've always been a big fan of Marcum. I'd be content with him as the best addition to this staff, primarily because I think he may be the best pitcher available this offseason if he stays healthy. Yes, that means I think he may be better than Grienke if he can stay on the mound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast