Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Terry Ryan: Twins Will Chase "Pretty Darn Good" Pitcher

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that it is thin in quality not quantity. And the Twins in order to be competitive need at least 3 pitchers better than Diamond. How many of them are available as Free Agents. Heck, how many of the free agents available are better than a fixed Baker? So, yeah... pretty thin in quality. The trade marker on the other hand is a different story.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobonewsome View Post
    Sorry John, but when it comes down to who are you going to believe, I'll take Ryan.
    Ryan has been caught in a straight up lie more than once...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    For people who doubt based on Josh Willingham's contract blah, blah, blah . . . the Twins have money to spend and need to spend it, especially, for the millionth time, that after 2013, the payroll REALLY drops significantly and hopefully in 2014, 2015, and 2016, the vast majority of the non-Mauer roster is composed on sub $1 million players like Sano, Rosario, Arcia, Hicks, Benson, Gibson, Hendriks, Salcedo, Berrios, Harrison, Boyd, etc.
    Didn't the Twins have money to spend on pitching this offseason? They dropped payroll by 18M...

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Sorry John, but when it comes down to who are you going to believe, I'll take Ryan.
    I'd like to see evidence of this. I'm sure he's guilty of misrepresentations, half-truths, distortions, but "straight up" lies?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Give me a Brandon McCarthy, not a sexy signing by any means but I think A.) He'll come cheap due to injury and playing in Oakland and B.) He seems like a Twins type pitcher.

If the Twins had the money to swing it Haren's pretty attractive as well. Pretty close to ace quality typically. If they want to go complete bargain bin give me Bedard.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    Give me a Brandon McCarthy, not a sexy signing by any means but I think A.) He'll come cheap due to injury and playing in Oakland and B.) He seems like a Twins type pitcher.

If the Twins had the money to swing it Haren's pretty attractive as well. Pretty close to ace quality typically. If they want to go complete bargain bin give me Bedard.
    I agree with all of these things. If this is the direction they ended up going, I would be content.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I'd like to see evidence of this. I'm sure he's guilty of misrepresentations, half-truths, distortions, but "straight up" lies?
    When he trade Castillo, he said he only traded him cause "I didn't anticipate re-signing him at the end [of the season], so we ended up getting a couple players in return before October,". Then a day or two later he said he would have traded him even if he wasn't a pending free agent.

So one of those statements is a lie.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    'Give me a Brandon McCarthy, not a sexy signing by any means but I think A.) He'll come cheap due to injury and playing in Oakland and B.) He seems like a Twins type pitcher.'

Yes, he is a pitch to contact, low strike out pitcher

When he trade Castillo, he said he only traded him cause "I didn't anticipate re-signing him at the end [of the season], so we ended up getting a couple players in return before October,". Then a day or two later he said he would have traded him even if he wasn't a pending free agent.

That's pretty thin, especially without a quote to support the second assertion. Even if he made the two assertions, I'm not sure it makes TR a straight up liar. The first quote can be found here for those curious.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    A risk of a long contract (4+ years) on a pitcher makes sense. The Twins will need someone to serve as an anchor in the rotation to demonstrate that there is stability and that the team is actually rebuilding as opposed to just "plugging holes". Consider what DET did after their debacle of a 43 win season. They way overpaid for Ordonez, but that showed that management was building a foundation to win consistently. True, they did get extremely lucky to land Verlander, but many teams have made a great leap forward by adding one player--maybe the Twins will (someday)? But, they need to start building a foundation for the rotation--Now!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 133 Times in 60 Posts
    Great, Joe Saunders or Jeremy Guthrie it is. Color me unimpressed.

Mark Buerhle has three expensive years left, but if the Fish were offered real players or prospects he might come with a scholarship. I'd make that call to find out

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Guthrie is a definite upgrade. Pitched well when he got out of Coors. Pitched solid in AL East which is more than any of our pitchers could do. No ace but we aren't getting three aces.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand any desire to have McCarthy. Another guy who doesn't strike anybody out. The Twins should honestly restrict their search to pitchers with 7+ k/9. I will leave it to someone else to narrow that list down . . .

But it is CLEAR to me that these 5 or 6 k/9 pitchers should not be ADDED to the rotation. Doesn't anyone remember Santana and Liriano? Even Boof!? To rely on the Diamonds and Radkes is not going to be good. Those are guys who serve well as the 3rd pitcher. Jackson at 3/33 and Marcum at 2/16 could get the job done. Just saying.

Blog Entries
    Jeremy Guthrie is not very good. FYI. Same with Saunders. Seriously, there is NO point signing these guys as opposed to turning to Deduno, DeVries, Walters, Hendriks, or even Bromberg (who *should* be considered, given that he was actually quite good through 2010). The result is going to be about the EXACT same for millions less if they go in-house. The Twins should stick to second-tier pitchers, not third or fourth tier. They have plenty of third and fourth-tier pitchers right now.

Blog Entries
    The market has been weird. Consider the difference last offseason between the Mark Buerhle signing and the Edwin Jackson signing. To me a comparable situation might occur this year with Dan Haren and Shaun Marcum. And the difference in performance between those two groups of pitchers is NOT $30-40 million over 3-4 years.

Doesn't it seem like there is the following:

Tier One:
    Grienke
    A. Sanchez
    Dempster
    Haren
    Peavy (I guess)

Tier two:
    Jackson
    Kuroda
    Lohse
    Marcum

Tier three:
    Blanton
    Saunders
    McCarthy
    Bedard
    Maholm
    Millwood
    Santana
    Correia

I submit that Santana might be worth giving a shot out of tier three, but I just don't like bothering with any of those other guys when millions of dollars would be wasted for replacement level pitching.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think that it is thin in quality not quantity. And the Twins in order to be competitive need at least 3 pitchers better than Diamond. How many of them are available as Free Agents. Heck, how many of the free agents available are better than a fixed Baker? So, yeah... pretty thin in quality. The trade marker on the other hand is a different story.
    WAR seems to be a big deal on this thread. By Fangraphs WAR, the Twins would have a difficult time signing three pitchers better than Diamond

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    WAR seems to be a big deal on this thread. By Fangraphs WAR, the Twins would have a difficult time signing three pitchers better than Diamond
    Yeah. First, the available pitchers above Diamond are: Greinke, Peavy, Kuroda, Sanchez, Lohse, Dempster, and Jackson. Second, no more than one of those pitchers are even possibly coming to the Twins. Dumping Gardy and Andy to get Lohse might have been worth it. Jackson would be. But alas.

I don't expect Diamond to repeat, but I also don't think his performance is going to fall very much.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's pretty thin, especially without a quote to support the second assertion. Even if he made the two assertions, I'm not sure it makes TR a straight up liar. The first quote can be found here for those curious.
    It happen how long ago, now? Took me forever to find the first quote...but this isn't the first time this has come up in conversations about him so it wasn't hard to remember. I remember him saying it live and reading it afterwards and saying, um, wait a minute. Just a couple days ago he said the reason he traded him was cause he didn't envision him re-signing him and now he says THIS?

But it really doesn't matter, believe it, don't believe it, that's on you. I know what he said and didn't....and I don't trust him at all

But it really doesn't matter, believe it, don't believe it, that's on you. I know what he said and didn't....and I don't trust him at all
    Fair enough. I just tend to give people a bit of slack when they are also playing the PR game after a publicly denounced transaction. I just don't think there's really any reason to mistrust TR more than any other GM or Manager; I think some of the job involves PR-speak; in fact, TR has struck me as one of the more straight forward guys in the industry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast