Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Terry Ryan: Twins Will Chase "Pretty Darn Good" Pitcher

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Thin?!?! Good lord almighty.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Is there a bit more substance in the rest of the interview than the "answers" Ryan provided in this sample?

We learned nothing from these quotes.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Avoid Loshe like the plauge. His only 2 good years were in the N.L. and they were supported by very low BABIP and HR rate, doubtfull he can maintain that

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    so?who gives a rats A** what curly chases he to old and to cheap to catch any decent #1 or #2 pitcher
    but with waddlin ronnys need to carry 3 catchers , maybe its time to bring the PRICK back ,and sign aj to a 2 year contract ?
    1 thing this team has lacked is a vocal leader a prick and straight forward im gonna kill you leader... a j isnt well like by foe but is well recieved by his teamates, his balls in your face, old school play is some thing the twins have lacked for a very long time ...
    with justin all but shoved out the door why not sign aj to replace morneaus lefthanded power and then you can rotate the 3 catchers between home 1st and dh

Id like to know why he thinks Pedro Florimon is a starting SS in the majors when the other 31 teams passed on a free shot at him

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Id like to know why he thinks Pedro Florimon is a starting SS in the majors when the other 31 teams passed on a free shot at him
    Florimon was a waiver pickup. Unless he fell all the way through waivers, then the Twins had first crack at him last winter, so he would not have had to be passed on by the other 29 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    so?who gives a rats A** what curly chases he to old and to cheap to catch any decent #1 or #2 pitcher
    but with waddlin ronnys need to carry 3 catchers , maybe its time to bring the PRICK back ,and sign aj to a 2 year contract ?
    1 thing this team has lacked is a vocal leader a prick and straight forward im gonna kill you leader... a j isnt well like by foe but is well recieved by his teamates, his balls in your face, old school play is some thing the twins have lacked for a very long time ...
    with justin all but shoved out the door why not sign aj to replace morneaus lefthanded power and then you can rotate the 3 catchers between home 1st and dh

There is nothing the matter with being negative on the Twins FA history or Ryan's methods - and it certainly is fine to be a fan of AJ. But you do yourself a deservice when you say things like AJ has been well received by his teammates. You simply haven't been paying attention.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SenatorsGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post

There is nothing the matter with being negative on the Twins FA history or Ryan's methods - and it certainly is fine to be a fan of AJ. But you do yourself a deservice when you say things like AJ has been well received by his teammates. You simply haven't been paying attention.
    Unless I have missed something recently, everything I have read about AJ is that his teammates love him, and everybody else hates him. He plays agressive and borderline cheap, he never gets hurt, he protects hisn pitchers and teammates, and he is consistantly productive. I would welcomwe him back to this team in a heartbeat if it wasn'y for the fact there isn't a spot for him on the roster (he needs to play almost every day, he is not a good fit for Butera's spot)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    I'm glad TwinsDaily doesn't push the offseason handbook on it's users

Offseason handbook?

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Offseason Handbook? That sounds interesting. Where might I get one of those? I've heard nothing about it and I haven't seen any annoying banner ads all over Twins Daily.

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    Since Terry Ryan never tips his hand at anything, the contents of this excerpt aren't surprising .... but then, I wouldn't expect him to say anything meaningful in the entire interview.

Great for the speculation game but everyone will just have to wait and see what he does before learning anything definitive.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    TR keeps saying the pitching market is "thin", but it looks like one of the thickest I've seen in the past several years.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    The snarky comments about ads and the handbook are uncalled for. These guys put up this site, they can run it however they want. You know they have ads, you know they are selling their book. Yet you choose to come here. Why complain?

On topic, if this pitching market is thin, what would a thick one look like?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    The pitching market is probably thin because we are a last place team. Quality players like to win. Or if they can't win get paid really really well. After the last two years what pitcher would look at the Twins and say here is my chance to win it all?

My guess is that in order to get quality pitching they will have to over pay, history has shown that bad teams have had to over pay for any free agents. That makes most of these guys look less attractive because they cost much more than they are worth.

With half or more of the teams (15-20) looking for pitching and maybe 8-10 guys that are decent starters thin seems like a good word for what is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    I'm sorry, but why would Twins Daily crew be researching, generating unique content, editing, and publishing a e-book...then giving it away...for free.

Last time I checked, we lived in America.

This is the crop of FA starters. Some others may have options declined or released or just wouldn't likely fit, rumored trouble makers or injured.
    When nearly every team needs pitching this is a very thin list.

2012 war based on 80+ innings
    Erik Bedard (34) 1.3
    Joe Blanton (32) 2.4
    Kevin Correia (32) .8
    Ryan Dempster (36) 3.3
    Zack Greinke (28) 5.1
    Dan Haren (32) 1.8
    Edwin Jackson (29) 2.7
    Hiroki Kuroda (38) 3.9
    Kyle Lohse (34) 3.6
    Paul Maholm (31) 2.5
    Shaun Marcum (31) 1.4
    Brandon McCarthy (29) 1.8
    Kevin Millwood (38) 2.0
    Anibal Sanchez (29) 3.8
    Ervin Santana (30) -.9
    Joe Saunders (32) 2.5

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, it's not. Or at least not when you include those players whose options are going to be declined.

How one wants to evaluate how "deep" a market it is open to debate, but it seems to me the best way is by evaluating the dollars they're likely to draw. That would at least give a sense of whether the teams think this is a deep market.

And what we're going to see is that this is the deepest market, demanding the most dollars, as there has been in several years. I wrote about this a few weeks ago.

http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.ph...reak-For-Twins

There are as many as 11 pitchers who could garner a $20M offer from a team. In the first draft of TwinsCentricís Offseason GM Handbook (which youíll be able to order soon, I promise), I count six that are virtually locks to make that money There are five more that might, and each will almost certainly get at least $10 million guaranteed. Thatís deeper than any class since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    No, it's not. Or at least not when you include those players whose options are going to be declined.

How one wants to evaluate how "deep" a market it is open to debate, but it seems to me the best way is by evaluating the dollars they're likely to draw. That would at least give a sense of whether the teams think this is a deep market.

And what we're going to see is that this is the deepest market, demanding the most dollars, as there has been in several years. I wrote about this a few weeks ago.

http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.ph...reak-For-Twins

There are as many as 11 pitchers who could garner a $20M offer from a team. In the first draft of TwinsCentricís Offseason GM Handbook (which youíll be able to order soon, I promise), I count six that are virtually locks to make that money There are five more that might, and each will almost certainly get at least $10 million guaranteed. Thatís deeper than any class since 2006.
    Isn't it a supply and demand thing? Nearly ever team needs pitching. When nearly every team needs pitching the demand is high. The number of "quality" available pitchers is finite so those pitchers will be in a higher demand and likely demand a higher cost. When Ryan says we need 3 pitchers and the market has maybe 15 or so pitchers that may be above replacement level and maybe 20 teams are looking to add pitchers that seems to make the demand much higher than the supply.
    Of course in the past we've done the "trickle down" free agent signing pitchers that were left over after everyone else has picked the bones. Getting 2-3 starters out of whatever list you want to use will be very hard considering that we have maybe 25m to do it, imo.
    What do we really have of value to trade for a starting pitcher of any quality? Span is the most likely, Willingham would leave a big hole in the lineup and nobody else has much value. Do you want to start shopping Sano or Hicks types? What teams need a center fielder and have excess pitching? List is very short, Rays, Mets, Braves and maybe the Reds? So can you get Shields from the Rays? Maybe Bailey from the Reds, or Niese from the Mets would that do it?
    Trading for or signing 3 solid starting pitchers this winter will be very hard.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm putting together a deal to make a "Moneyball" sequel based on Terry Ryan and the Twins. One of my favorite scenes is when Ryan (Kurtwood Smith) tells Billy Smith (Joel Murray) to go sign the Greek God of Walks and Smith signs the Greek God of Balks by mistake.

P.S. Who is this pitcher Will Chase?
    Last edited by Teflon; 10-23-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: more humor

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast