Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins name 3 to coaching staff

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Twins name 3 to coaching staff

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/T...ns_staff102212

Brunansky to hitting coach, Cuellar to bullpen coach and Steinbach named bench coach/catching instructor.

Ullger named 1st base coach and Vavra named 3B coach.
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musk21 View Post
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/T...ns_staff102212

Brunansky to hitting coach, Cuellar to bullpen coach and Steinbach named bench coach/catching instructor.

Ullger named 1st base coach and Vavra named 3B coach.
    I REALLY like it, Vavra IMO didn't do a bad job, so having him still on the staff (in a lesser role) is still nice. Steinbach is a suprise as well, didn't see that one coming.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. I didn't see the Steinbach move coming.

I can't help but feel bad for Vavra. The guy didn't do anything wrong and since he took over, the Twins offense has been quite good most seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Interesting. I didn't see the Steinbach move coming.

I can't help but feel bad for Vavra. The guy didn't do anything wrong and since he took over, the Twins offense has been quite good most seasons.
    I'm sure he could have found another gig in baseball, I imagine he just wanted to stick with the Twins at this point? I mean, the guy is still going to be pulling in a real nice 200k+ salary and still will be a big part of the day to day coaching staff.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess we all thought that Gene Glynn was coming up too, probably to take over as 3B coach. I like Steinbach. I like keeping Vavra around just because I think he did his job well. The one I just don't get is keeping Scott Ullger around. Yes, just as the 1B coach, but anyone can do that. And, he was a 1B in his short big league time... why would he deal with the OF (although, they're all fine and don't really need him)?

Curious how the minor league side of things will shape up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Didn't even know Steinbach was on the radar. With the success rate of former catchers turning manager, perhaps Gardenhire's fear of Molitor taking his job was not the case as Steinbach would surely loom just as large over Gardy's shoulder. Seems reasonable Steinbach was an impressive interview and was the preferred choice to Glynn and the Twins already knew what they had in Molitor but still liked Steinbach better.

Interesting.

I actually think Ullger should be considering a minor league manager job, preferably with another tam, if he wishes to be on track to manage, which he was...awhile back.

I would've kept Vavra as the Bench coach, the guy who watches the pitchers, gives batters notes, watches video and such.

Steinbach is so far out of the woodwork, I have nothing to say. I know he works in his hometown area with high school hitters. But then, who not Leius, Laudner, Smalley (or Coomer, for example).

Ullger should be gone, period. Vavra lives in Wisconsin (a looong drive, but he does it for home games for some reason).

But why not Molitor still looms large. Do the Twins need a manager-in-training, or will they just go after some other name when the time comes.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Didn't even know Steinbach was on the radar. With the success rate of former catchers turning manager, perhaps Gardenhire's fear of Molitor taking his job was not the case as Steinbach would surely loom just as large over Gardy's shoulder. Seems reasonable Steinbach was an impressive interview and was the preferred choice to Glynn and the Twins already knew what they had in Molitor but still liked Steinbach better.
    I think the reason Glynn isn't on the staff is the same as Molitor... Ryan didn't want to have a guy looking over Gardy's shoulder that would be viewed by the media, fan base (and perhaps Gardy himself) as the "manager in waiting" in the event the Twins start out poorly again. It would be awkward, at best, and there's really no reason to have that dynamic. Glynn and Molitor will apparently remain in their current roles and if Ryan does eventually want to tab either of them to replace Gardy, they're only a phone call away.

I really like that Bruno and Steinbach both have a history of working with young hitters (Bruno as a coach, Steinbach as a ST instructor) and also have the World Series rings that should give them credibility with veterans, as well.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    time will tell ,my guess is the notebook of failure joe i was drafted by the dodgers vavra will be a worse 3rd base coach then ullger was ..
    i dont understand the logic of keeping gardenhire comfortable?if he wants to stay he needs new attitude a new dirrection and new ideas ...
    he has to stop playing musical positions and playing his subs on a regular baises, and find a pitching coach that can teach or correct the pitchers and knows when to pull them and when to let them pitch through it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    SO it's okay to have the players looking over their shoulders all the time, but not the manager :-)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I think the reason Glynn isn't on the staff is the same as Molitor... Ryan didn't want to have a guy looking over Gardy's shoulder that would be viewed by the media, fan base (and perhaps Gardy himself) as the "manager in waiting" in the event the Twins start out poorly again. It would be awkward, at best, and there's really no reason to have that dynamic. Glynn and Molitor will apparently remain in their current roles and if Ryan does eventually want to tab either of them to replace Gardy, they're only a phone call away.
    Agree. It also means that if there needs to be a purge, they don't need to worry about having Glynn's hands dirty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Agree. It also means that if there needs to be a purge, they don't need to worry about having Glynn's hands dirty.
    True. Though I suspect Brunansky, Steinbach and Cuellar might survive a purge.

As for Gardy, I think it's a stretch to say Ryan is keeping him "comfortable" by not having Glynn or Molitor on staff. Ryan fired half of his coaches and didn't give Gardy an extension as he entered the last year of his contract. If that happened to me, I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable. But by not having Glynn or Molitor on staff, neither Gardenhire nor the players have to deal with the potential of daily media questions about the possibility of one of the coaching staff replacing Gardy every time they lose a game. It's just a dynamic that isn't necessary as long as the potential replacements are still employed somewhere in the organization.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    As for Gardy, I think it's a stretch to say Ryan is keeping him "comfortable" by not having Glynn or Molitor on staff. Ryan fired half of his coaches and didn't give Gardy an extension as he entered the last year of his contract. If that happened to me, I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable. But by not having Glynn or Molitor on staff, neither Gardenhire nor the players have to deal with the potential of daily media questions about the possibility of one of the coaching staff replacing Gardy every time they lose a game. It's just a dynamic that isn't necessary as long as the potential replacements are still employed somewhere in the organization.
    Some of those fired guys are still on the field as a major part of the coaching staff...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Some of those fired guys are still on the field as a major part of the coaching staff...
    I wasn't including Vavra and Ullger among the fired because they weren't. Gardy had 6 coaches, Andy, Vavra, Ullger, White, Stelly and Liddle. As I wrote, half (3) were fired and it certainly wasn't Gardy's doing.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    Doesn't Ullger always take over when Gardy gets tossed? Logic would say if Gardy got the ax Ullger would step in. After all he failed as a hitting coach, 3B coach, bench coach now he's a 1B coach next logical step is managing. Mad skills he can coach anywhere.

Wonder how it will work for Bruno with 2 ex hitting coaches looking over his shoulders?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

I look forward to Ullger sending dozens of Twins to 2nd base only to get thrown out by 30+ feet.

Blog Entries
    Typically, it's the bench coach that takes over when the manager gets ejected, so I'd assume that will be Steinbach going forward. If it's still Ullger, something is wrong.

I've watched the way Brunansky handles himself down in Spring Training and players really gravitate to him. He also comes across very secure with himself, so I'd be surprised if he gets too concerned about Ullger and Vavra still being around. Frankly, I think it's a good thing. If, for example, Morneau feels that what Vavra has been working with him on has worked well, it's good that he'll still have that option. No single hitting theory works for every hitter. If it did, teaching hitting would be easy.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I don't understand why I guy who's been found wanting at: Hitting coach, 3B, and Bench coach is still on the staff. Other then that I'm fine with how things shook out.

Liked 3,012 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I look forward to Ullger sending dozens of Twins to 2nd base only to get thrown out by 30+ feet.
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, Dave, and assume this is snark.

Stretching a single is a decision made by players, not 1st base coaches.

Member Single-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, Dave, and assume this is snark.

Stretching a single is a decision made by players, not 1st base coaches.
    Can we blame him when the running game falls apart?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast