Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins name 3 to coaching staff

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    [QUOTE=USAFChief;59281]
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I look forward to Ullger sending dozens of Twins to 2nd base only to get thrown out by 30+ feet.
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, Dave, and assume this is snark.

Obvious snark, but a first base coach sometimes does help a runner decide if they should go for 2 or stay with a single (depending on the OF's arm, how far back they were playing etc etc)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    The big question is - does Plouffe give up #24 to Bruno?

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The one I just don't get is keeping Scott Ullger around.
    Me either.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if on balance, the miliseconds spent in order for base coaches to process events on the field, translate into sign language, relay to the baserunner and the baserunner to p rocess, is worth it. The only clear scenario where I see a coach being critical is in the odd sac fly situation, and sometimes for a lefthander who has a good pickoff move.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I wonder if on balance, the miliseconds spent in order for base coaches to process events on the field, translate into sign language, relay to the baserunner and the baserunner to p rocess, is worth it. The only clear scenario where I see a coach being critical is in the odd sac fly situation, and sometimes for a lefthander who has a good pickoff move.
    A base coach has little or nothing to do with a sac fly.

The greatest impact a base coach has is on sending a runner around third (or not sending him) when the ball is behind the runner and he can't make that decision for himself. Almost all other base running decisions are made by the base runner himself. Occasionally a runner rounding second base will go on to third, or stop, based on the 3rd base coach's decision, but even then it's usual, and preferable, for the runner to make that decision himself.

BTW, if you're depending on the first base coach to tell you "get back" on a lead at first, you're already dead.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well those base coaches also do have to remind the runner how many outs there are... so there is that. Then the 3B coach has to flash signs to the runners and then the 1B coach has to whisper what the sign meant in to the rookie's ear at 1B. Then they also have to chat up the base umpires. Let's see... what else? Guess that's about it.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Well those base coaches also do have to remind the runner how many outs there are... so there is that. Then the 3B coach has to flash signs to the runners and then the 1B coach has to whisper what the sign meant in to the rookie's ear at 1B. Then they also have to chat up the base umpires. Let's see... what else? Guess that's about it.
    Pretty sure the Twins first base coach is also responsible for catching and storing the ball the Twins infield throws around between innings. Morny lobs a couple grounders to each infielder, and then lobs a perfect one hop throw into the dugout, where the first base coach is responsible for catching (on one hop...bad form not to handle it on one hop) it and putting it in a safe spot for use next inning.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Pretty sure the Twins first base coach is also responsible for catching and storing the ball the Twins infield throws around between innings. Morny lobs a couple grounders to each infielder, and then lobs a perfect one hop throw into the dugout, where the first base coach is responsible for catching (on one hop...bad form not to handle it on one hop) it and putting it in a safe spot for use next inning.
    Now I'm even more uncertain that Ullger is qualified.
    There isn't enough defense on the planet to justify giving 500+ PA to a guy who can barely OPS .600.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the reason Glynn isn't on the staff is the same as Molitor... Ryan didn't want to have a guy looking over Gardy's shoulder that would be viewed by the media, fan base (and perhaps Gardy himself) as the "manager in waiting" in the event the Twins start out poorly again. It would be awkward, at best, and there's really no reason to have that dynamic. Glynn and Molitor will apparently remain in their current roles and if Ryan does eventually want to tab either of them to replace Gardy, they're only a phone call away.

I really like that Bruno and Steinbach both have a history of working with young hitters (Bruno as a coach, Steinbach as a ST instructor) and also have the World Series rings that should give them credibility with veterans, as well.
    Agreed about why Steinback and not the other 2 are bench coaches.

Steinbach was definitely a surprise since his only coaching job has been at the high school level. This is a pretty big jump...

Food for thought: If/when Gardy gets thrown out again during a game, I suspect that it will be Scotty still managing the team as usual..
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think the reason Glynn isn't on the staff is the same as Molitor... Ryan didn't want to have a guy looking over Gardy's shoulder that would be viewed by the media, fan base (and perhaps Gardy himself) as the "manager in waiting" in the event the Twins start out poorly again. It would be awkward, at best, and there's really no reason to have that dynamic. Glynn and Molitor will apparently remain in their current roles and if Ryan does eventually want to tab either of them to replace Gardy, they're only a phone call away.

I really like that Bruno and Steinbach both have a history of working with young hitters (Bruno as a coach, Steinbach as a ST instructor) and also have the World Series rings that should give them credibility with veterans, as well.
    Agreed about why Steinback and not the other 2 are bench coaches.

Steinbach was definitely a surprise since his only coaching job has been at the high school level. This is a pretty big jump...

Food for thought: If/when Gardy gets thrown out again during a game, I suspect that it will be Scotty still managing the team as usual..
    With Steinbach as the "catching" coach hopefully that means they are getting rid of Butera.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries

With Steinbach as the "catching" coach hopefully that means they are getting rid of Butera.
    Good luck... Unless they trade him. He is out of options. And might even be super 2 arbitration eligible...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Butera is arbitration eligible I doubt he would even be able to reach 700k for next season. He would probably settle for 500-550k just to be able to keep a major league job. If we need a 3rd Catcher on the roster that will be the more efficient route to go while having Herman develop one more season in the minors and he will be less expensive for an additional year too.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Interesting that those yipping about the front office needing young minds with fresh new ideas are not complaining about the 50 and 60 year olds hired as coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    If Butera is arbitration eligible I doubt he would even be able to reach 700k for next season. He would probably settle for 500-550k just to be able to keep a major league job. If we need a 3rd Catcher on the roster that will be the more efficient route to go while having Herman develop one more season in the minors and he will be less expensive for an additional year too.
    Herman is not a guy we need to be worrying about in regards to service time......

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Interesting that those yipping about the front office needing young minds with fresh new ideas are not complaining about the 50 and 60 year olds hired as coaches.
    Not exactly a whole lot of 30 year old managers in baseball.....

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 318 Posts
    Not exactly a whole lot of 30 year old managers in baseball.....
    It's an interesting statement though, what do you consider "younger"? MLB has the highest average age of the "big four" leagues but currently has 9 managers under the age of 50 with 2 vacancies. The National league doubles the American by a 6-3 margin among those managers. Matheny is the youngest at 42 and despite the disaster which culminated tonight, has done pretty well. So have Davey Johnson and Jim Leyland on the other hand, the former being the leagues oldest manager and Leyland 2nd (along with Charlie Manuel).

Does age really have anything to do with it?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    were yipping about fresh minds and young ideas...new blood not the good ole boy yes men that has staled the team and org. for a decade or so

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    were yipping about fresh minds and young ideas...new blood not the good ole boy yes men that has staled the team and org. for a decade or so
    Bringing in a coach with specific duties of working with the catchers not a fresh idea? I do believe the core of the group brought together by Ryan won quite a few games. It was not maintained by Smith.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Gardy's job evaluation will be based on how well the club performs with the talent TR is able to assemble. This year was a fail, mainly due to the pitching staff injuries and other issues., so Gardy got this year. I do not believe he will survive again if the Twins assemble a passable pitching staff to be competitive. For hitting coach, I would give a D, since the Twins totally lacked the ability to move a runner from 2nd to 3rd after a no out double, too many punch and judy hitters trying to hit fly balls instead of grounders. This will be an area i would hope to see improvement next year. Varva lost the 'Twins way'.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I haven't been yipping about the age although when Cody Christie posted his piece about Molitor the other day, I did mention that I was hoping for a bit more youth when they looked for a new manager (ironically both Gene Glynn and Paul Molitor are older than Gardenhire).

It looks like Steinbach, at 50, is the baby of this group. But of more concern to me than age is that it appears that the Twins continue to look primarily within their own system or to their own "legacy" players without bringing in fresh perspectives. Glynn is really the only newcomer to the organization (at least he has experience outside the Twins system). I guess you could argue that Steinbach is a "newcomer" but he doesn't really bring anything new from the majors outside the Twins. I think that's what is most troublesome to me -- they don't seem to want to hire anyone who might challenge their belief system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast