Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Could the Twins Sign Zack Greinke?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I think of all the high-end pitchers to come on the market in the last few years, Grienke would be the one would seem to be the most probable to come here. With his history, his reticence to play in a big market, and with what the Twins need, it seems like a fit.

That being said, I believe the chances of the Twins actually signing him to a large long-term deal are virtually non-nonexistent. Keeping in mind Willingham is the largest FA contract the Twins have given, quadrupling it for a pitcher with past issues seems unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    I think of all the high-end pitchers to come on the market in the last few years, Grienke would be the one would seem to be the most probable to come here. With his history, his reticence to play in a big market, and with what the Twins need, it seems like a fit.
    I would agree with that--BUT--should the Twins sign him?? Not at 5yrs/100million. He is about 30 years old--he has number 1 potential but has been up and down. A 5 year contract for Greinke will make the ChiSox deal with Peavy (who was Grienke a few years back) look good.

Liked 696 Times in 365 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I recall reading somewhere that Greinke wants to play for a contender. But even if this is not true, I can't imagine the Twins bidding the kind of dollars and years that other teams will offer.

Is it me or is there something about Greinke in this article's photo that reminds you of Michael Shannon's Agent Van Alden from Boardwalk Empire?

It was worth a chuckle

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Greinke should not and (thankfully) will be not singed by the Twins
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I maintain the belief I have preached many times, that Grienke will not just go to whoever offers the most money. I suspect he also isn't quite as concerned with playing for a contender as he is playing for a team where he feels comfortable with the attitudes and his teammates.

From a money standpoint, it's hard to say wether it would be worth it, because we don't actually know yet what he'll be gunning for in terms of salary.

From a PR standpoint, it would be brilliant. It would be an unprecendented move for the Twins, and it would show that TR means business, and that they are committed to winning NOW and not 3-5 years from now. They are making an effort to maintain and build their season ticket base in advance of the all star game, and signing a #1 guy is going to do a whole lot more than trading for another 10+ year vetran in the twilight of his career.

And who knows, maybe he will rebound to cy young form coming back to the AL for a whole season and not having to bat.

All I know is, I'd rather see him at target field pitching for the Twins than against them

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,502 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to have Greinke on the Twins but I think too many teams are going to bid on his name instead of his recent performance. He's a very good pitcher. He's not a great pitcher and has had his fair share of issues over the years.

If you can get the guy for $14-15m a year for four years, you jump all over that. If you need to shell out $17-18m a year for five plus years, pass.

And the $17-18m for five plus years is where I think he will fall.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Pass on Grienke, too much baggage and I wouldn't trust him in the playoffs, plus he would cost a fortune to sign.

Wow, between Mauer's "aww schucks, give a 110%" Midwestern demeanor and Greinke's mental health issues, we would we would have about $300 million of money tied up in two guys with virtually no chance of serving any type of leadership purpose on this team.

Or, if "leadership" is too amorphous a topic to debate on for you, let's just stick with the fact that it ain't going to happen. No way. If you think we're handcuffed my Mauer's deal NOW, at least Mauer played last year, won a batting title, and sells a boatload of tickets. Greinke could blow his arm out April 26th, and you'd be left holding the bag. If you're the Yankees, Red Sox, or Tigers, that'd be bad. If you're the Twins, you're looking at half-decade of guaranteed Triple-A baseball.

This team is cutting payroll, and Terry Ryan simply doesn't believe in that type of reform. Teams are already making trades, and unless Terry has one of those lined up, we'll probably be sitting well after the Winter Meetings like we always do, waiting for the price to go down on the mid-tier guys we can actually afford.

The ONLY good thing I can say about 2012 that might prove my assessment wrong is that it was a complete failure devoid of legitimate excuses. You had a healthy Mauer and Morneau, and Willingham was everything you could have hoped for and more. Yeah, there were a few injuries to the starting staff, but welcome to baseball. When your formula "works" and you still don't even sniff 70 wins, it might be time to reevaluate.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Way too much gets made of Grienke's anxiety disorder.

I guarantee you that there are dozens of MLB players who also have anxiety disorders, but we've just never heard of it because they never sought help.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Wow, between Mauer's "aww schucks, give a 110%" Midwestern demeanor and Greinke's mental health issues, we would we would have about $300 million of money tied up in two guys with virtually no chance of serving any type of leadership purpose on this team.
    I'll take lead by example for $1000 Alex

Mauer- .319/.416/.861, all just off his career average, a year after missing 80 games.

Grienke- 8K/9, 3.51 K/BB ratio, career.

I'll take that over some guy throwing cliches at me about how we have to "win one for the Gipper" and doing jumping jacks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post

Mauer- .319/.416/.861, all just off his career average, a year after missing 80 games.

I'll take that over some guy throwing cliches at me about how we have to "win one for the Gipper" and doing jumping jacks.
    Am I to infer that if Mauer were to say "We gotta win for Gardy", would not suffice to motivate all and turn things around?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post

Am I to infer that if Mauer were to say "We gotta win for Gardy", would not suffice to motivate all and turn things around?

I much prefer Ugueth Urbina's "Win one or I'll ****ing kill you."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I much prefer Ugueth Urbina's "Win one or I'll ****ing kill you.

And we have a winner for best motivational quote of the year!

I believe that inference wold be accurate, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post

I much prefer Ugueth Urbina's "Win one or I'll ****ing kill you."
    That is a classic, you're right much better. I'm not sure it would have the same level of crazy, scary coming from Mauer.

Sign Greinke and deal Span for another mid-level starter? That sounds like a good plan to me

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Take out his 2009 Cy Young season and he doesn't look all that special. He's a very good pitcher, significantly better than anything the Twins have, but not worthy of 5+ years and $90+ million dollars. Being the best FA pitcher on the market any given year does wonders for the inflation of salary for said player (see Wilson, C.J., or Lackey, John). That one season just looks crazy amongst all his other seasons, it's so much better than any of his others. And for someone who's now pitched in the majors for 9 years (though he missed most of a season back in '06), it's hard to believe he's ever getting anywhere near that '09 season again. Figure on seasons of around 100-120 ERA+ (i.e. occasionally average, occasionally very good) from him from here on out. A drastic improvement if you're the Twins, but they can't afford what he's probably going to get for what he's probably going to contribute.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Take out his 2009 Cy Young season and he doesn't look all that special. He's a very good pitcher, significantly better than anything the Twins have, but not worthy of 5+ years and $90+ million dollars. Being the best FA pitcher on the market any given year does wonders for the inflation of salary for said player (see Wilson, C.J., or Lackey, John). That one season just looks crazy amongst all his other seasons, it's so much better than any of his others. And for someone who's now pitched in the majors for 9 years (though he missed most of a season back in '06), it's hard to believe he's ever getting anywhere near that '09 season again. Figure on seasons of around 100-120 ERA+ (i.e. occasionally average, occasionally very good) from him from here on out. A drastic improvement if you're the Twins, but they can't afford what he's probably going to get for what he's probably going to contribute.
    He's that guy that pitches like an ace but just hasn't been able to have that ace type season (except in '09). You've also kind of summed up the problems with signing FA starters. ALL OF THEM get overpaid. I like signing Greinke for 5/90 a lot more than a lesser and older starter for 4/50. Greinke's a workhorse that you can count on for 200+ innings of 3.50 or better pitcher. And I still think he pitches like that ace that the stats say he is.

Reasons that you sign Greinke (stats since he secured a full time rotation spot)
    K rate

BB rate
    2-2.50 every season

Innings
    171 - offseason basketball injury

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12