Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Who will be this year's Glen Perkins?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who will be this year's Glen Perkins?

After struggling as a starter and missing almost all of 2010, Glen Perkins came back in 2011 with a new role and, seemingly, a new arm. His added velocity from pitching out of the bullpen helped his slider become a wicked, plus pitch. Now he's one of only a few proven relievers coming out of the bullpen this year. His surprising performance last year brings up a good question:

Who could be the Glen Perkins of 2012?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alex Burnett or Terry Doyle, but I really liked what I saw from Matt Maloney today.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Burnett's a nice choice. And I think Capps will do well in the closer role (not sure if he counts though).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of 3 lefties in the bullpen. It also might be nice that all three are potentially able to be used as more than a loogy, even multiple innings. Obviously Maloney has not made the team yet, but a good first impression, I guess. I still think Burnett may begin the year in AAA, just to gain more experience in back of the bullpen roles and maybe to enhance his confidence. I hope Oliveras has a good spring, he might have the most potential as a set up/ 8th inning guy.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My vote is for Burnett but I said the same thing last year and he didn't produce. Maybe this is the year...

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Both Maloney and Doyle fit Perkins' path, but I wonder if they can flip so quickly. It took Perky a little time to really get comfortable in that reliever role.
    However, I truly hope we can look back 5 months from now and say that the turnaround surprise comes from Capps.
    Last edited by Neinstein; 03-06-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gutierrez isn't following that same path, but I'd love to see him turn the corner. If so, he could be the breakout guy. Jared Burton is another promising name.

OOH! How about Jeff Manship? That's my pick. Based on nothing at all. I'm going with Manship.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Jared Burton. But I would really like it to be Carlos Gutierrez.

I really hope Glen Perkins can repeat what Glen Perkins did last year... his spring training thus far is looking very good.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me, it's Anthony Swarzak. I know he can work his fastball up to 95 MPH out of the 'pen and I don't really see the need to send him down the same path as Duensing, where he flashed some back-end starter potential and was given a shot, only to have his deficiencies surface. Twins already have Marquis, Blackburn, Hendriks, Diamond, and Duensing to fill out the back-end of a rotation if needed, so let him fling it out of the 'pen for good and see if he can capitalize on it like Perkins did.

I'd also really like to see Gutierrez take a step forward, the Twins almost need him to develop into at least a good setup man.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 531 Times in 352 Posts
    Agreed, I'd go Swarzak.
    Lighten up Francis....

I really liked what I saw of Maloney yesterday.

I like what I've seen from Maloney thus far (granted it's early), so it would be nice to see him step up. That being said, what about Duensing? I know one of our starters are bound to get hurt and then Duensing will be in the rotation, but it's possible he steps up like Perk did last year.
    -Jake-
    @JakeErickson
    "Live, Love, Laugh, Enjoy Life" - KP #34

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maloney has a good chance. I'm thinking its going to be either Doyle or Burton.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For my money, it's Duensing. Now that he's shifted back into the reliever role, he will likely be situated in favorable match-ups against more left-handed hitters. He's got an outstanding slider that will play well.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    isn't it funny that four days ago, no one thought Maloney should be on the 40 man roster much less in the Twins organization, and now a whole bunch of people are hoping that he will be the Twins 3rd lefty in the bullpen. It could happen, no doubt. But, it's funny how seeing a couple of good games from the guy has changed opinion.

I say that, and I will now choose Carlos Gutierrez. I really think he took Gardy's bashing last Thursday to heart and showed in his next outing (monday night) what he can do and what he can be when he just throws strikes and is aggressive. I really hope that something clicked and his immense potential will show through.

Note - I also like Manship and Waldrop and Burton and Wise... and believe in Burnett and Oliveros as well. Oh, and Slama and Bromberg shouldn't be forgotten either, even if they're not in camp.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins are going to need more than one Perkins-like turnaround. I'm in the camp that believes Capps will be better and I've got high (if not altogether realistic) expectations for Duensing, Swarzak and, to a lesser degree, Gutierrez. In Gutierrez's case, it may not quite be an "expectation" as a "hope."
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~