Thread: Article: Waiting Impatiently For The Offseason

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Waiting Impatiently For The Offseason

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    terry(curly) ryan was a good scout , not much good as a general manager, same for ron (larry )gardenhire he was a good coach for tom kelly but has not been a good manager,and last but not least the media major from dakota u. and former twins pro shop manager david (moe) st pete ...these are the 3 personal that need to be moved during the off season ...with curly trading our long time players look for us to end up with the short end of the stick,also ryan has said he is looking at other teams 6th and 7 th starters and cast offs,add in an over the hill use to be or a recycled never was and thats what curly will bring to this team

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    terry(curly) ryan was a good scout , not much good as a general manager, same for ron (larry )gardenhire he was a good coach for tom kelly but has not been a good manager,and last but not least the media major from dakota u. and former twins pro shop manager david (moe) st pete ...these are the 3 personal that need to be moved during the off season ...with curly trading our long time players look for us to end up with the short end of the stick,also ryan has said he is looking at other teams 6th and 7 th starters and cast offs,add in an over the hill use to be or a recycled never was and thats what curly will bring to this team
    Maybe it's time for you to choose another team

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The last really nice season we had was the offseason prior to the 2010 season. We went into the season having a major league starting caliber middle infield and we signed Pavano and Thome. Wouldn't be much for some teams but it was a nice splash for us.

People wanna focus on Ryan signing Doumit and Willingham last year and pat Ryan on the back, but they seem to forget we were losing Cuddy and Kubel. I don't think we can look at the gains without also looking at the loses. Yes, we saved some money signing Willingham and Doumit over keeping Cuddy and Kubel, but then we didn't use that money saved to go and get pitching.

I am not overly excited about this offseason as much as I try. Seems Ryan is cutting payroll again and not going after quality starting pitching, at least not through free agency. Our starting pitching isn't going to cut it and signing players off the scrap heap after other teams pass or show little interest isn't cause for much excitement.

Would love to be proven wrong though. And while I agree with your assessment of the FA pitching market, Ryan has disagreed...called it thin...not much to choose from.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 10-18-2012 at 09:43 AM.

That is such a good point about it not mattering if theTwins saved money on Willingham and Doumit. If you don't turn the saved money into more help for the ballclub, it's just money in Pohlad's pocket. Nice for him in the short run, but how much did all those empty seats at the end of the season cost? I love baseball win or lose, but how much more money and just plain fun happens when the team wins?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    'That is such a good point about it not mattering if theTwins saved money on Willingham and Doumit. If you don't turn the saved money into more help for the ballclub, it's just money in Pohlad's pocket.'

'Nice for him in the short run, but how much did all those empty seats at the end of the season cost? I love baseball win or lose, but how much more money and just plain fun happens when the team wins? '

That's a good point as well. As nice as TF is, and it's beautiful, I live 8 hours from the ballpark. I couldn't justify in my head the purchasing of tickets this year, and I LOVE going to the ballpark. I came back from Iraq in August 2010 and made sure I made a game there before the end of the regular season. I will always love the Twins, and I will go to games and deal with the losing as long as the players are giving real effort and the FO and ownership seem to be truly trying to put a winning team together. I didn't feel that criteria was met this year, so I watched them at home and didn't go to a game. Hoping next season is different.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Maybe it's time for you to choose another team
    Maybe!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I assume that also means that you really think Tom Kelly was a horrible manager since he once had four straight 90 loss seasons. Yup, he won the two world series, but he was a horrible manager in 1990, and for those four years of 90 losses, right?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    'That is such a good point about it not mattering if theTwins saved money on Willingham and Doumit. If you don't turn the saved money into more help for the ballclub, it's just money in Pohlad's pocket.'

'Nice for him in the short run, but how much did all those empty seats at the end of the season cost? I love baseball win or lose, but how much more money and just plain fun happens when the team wins? '

That's a good point as well. As nice as TF is, and it's beautiful, I live 8 hours from the ballpark. I couldn't justify in my head the purchasing of tickets this year, and I LOVE going to the ballpark. I came back from Iraq in August 2010 and made sure I made a game there before the end of the regular season. I will always love the Twins, and I will go to games and deal with the losing as long as the players are giving real effort and the FO and ownership seem to be truly trying to put a winning team together. I didn't feel that criteria was met this year, so I watched them at home and didn't go to a game. Hoping next season is different.
    First, thank you for your service to our country.

I also know exactly how you feel concerning making the effort to go to the games. I'm just under 5 hours from TF and I didn't make a single trip to watch a game in person this season. To put that in context, there were very few seasons at the Dome when I didn't find my way up to the Twin Cities at least once every season, regardless of how bad the team was. Where previously, I'd see a weekend coming up that I had no plans and think "hmm, why not go to Minn?" this year my mind really needed to come with a reason why I SHOULD go... and it never happened. Primarily, the reason was that I (and almost everyone else, it seemed) recognized that the Twins needed to seriously upgrade their rotation after 2011 and they completely ignored that need. That, along with the overall slashing of payroll, told me the FO wasn't interested in really making improvements and if they didn't care about the quality of their product, why should I spend significant money on their product?

Like you, I'm hoping this time it will be different.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will be thrilled if someone is trade for a plethora of (good) prospects. Josh Willingham is at the top of the list. I advocate him over Span.

Liked 1,174 Times in 688 Posts
    Well, I for one, am thoroughly enjoying the post-season and will rue the day its over. I don't care much about the off-season. Terry Ryan will do what he's going to do -- no matter how much people here debate the fine points of trades and acquisitions.

And I will be extremely happy with a Cards-Tigers World Series (and will laugh at the broadcasting angst it will cause). Although I must admit I'm rooting harder for the Tigers than the Cards. I really want to see Mike Ilitch reap the reward of his big gamble.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't wait to get my handbook and start putting together my blueprint. I have waay too much time on my hands right now (seriously)