Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Thread: 5 months of.... this?

  1. #41
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,495
    Like
    3,515
    Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

    In the Division Series, I was cheering for Cincinnati, Oakland, Baltimore, and Washington. It was a pretty awful baseball week for me.
    You gotta admit, though, it was fun to watch, even if your favorite teams lost. Taken together, with all of them going 5 games and given the (one-time) format change, this was the most interesting round of divisional series I've seen in recent years.
    I think there were ?6? "game 7's" in the first two rounds? Gotta tip your hat to Selig and the new one game "play-in" for the WC's, IMO.

    Not to mention, even if your teams lost prior to the LCS's, it was exquisite to see the Yankees get bounced in four.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    382
    Like
    3
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Smerf, I'm right there with you, but it's important to recognize this is TD's first full-fledged offseason. Inexperienced posters are going to be trigger happy; let's face it, many of us have been spoiled by the intellectual etiquette of some Twins fans over the last decade. If intelligent people keep posting (and even taking initiative), the rest will catch on.
    Is the assumption that new people here don't know baseball when they get here and therefore aren't intellectual enough at the beginning? If I'm misunderstanding your post, and some other's posts saying things along those same lines, please let me know. Cause some of us were just posting elsewhere for many years and heard about this great place and came over.
    That is not it at all. A draw-back of less than casual fans is they assume players can be swapped like RBI Baseball trades. I'm certainly not calling anyone out in particular in this thread (dave, i gave you **** about DeRosa because I've given you **** every offseason for the last 4 years). Why it is said that "new" posters are guilty of this is because they haven't spent enough time on forums to know that it takes more than one team needs a pitcher and one needs a hitter so lets swap! Most on here know that.

    I don't mean to be elitist about this, and am not calling individual posters or threads out. I'm just saying lets collectively bring good ideas and non-redundant topics to discussion. People can post what they want and talk about what they want so it shouldn't make much difference what I want anyway, just sayin.
    Like it or not, this whole thread reeks of elitism. A discussion only about what you consider to be worth posting and how it should be delivered? Not elitist? Really?

  3. #43
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Smerf, I'm right there with you, but it's important to recognize this is TD's first full-fledged offseason. Inexperienced posters are going to be trigger happy; let's face it, many of us have been spoiled by the intellectual etiquette of some Twins fans over the last decade. If intelligent people keep posting (and even taking initiative), the rest will catch on.
    Is the assumption that new people here don't know baseball when they get here and therefore aren't intellectual enough at the beginning? If I'm misunderstanding your post, and some other's posts saying things along those same lines, please let me know. Cause some of us were just posting elsewhere for many years and heard about this great place and came over.
    That is not it at all. A draw-back of less than casual fans is they assume players can be swapped like RBI Baseball trades. I'm certainly not calling anyone out in particular in this thread (dave, i gave you **** about DeRosa because I've given you **** every offseason for the last 4 years). Why it is said that "new" posters are guilty of this is because they haven't spent enough time on forums to know that it takes more than one team needs a pitcher and one needs a hitter so lets swap! Most on here know that.

    I don't mean to be elitist about this, and am not calling individual posters or threads out. I'm just saying lets collectively bring good ideas and non-redundant topics to discussion. People can post what they want and talk about what they want so it shouldn't make much difference what I want anyway, just sayin.
    Like it or not, this whole thread reeks of elitism. A discussion only about what you consider to be worth posting and how it should be delivered? Not elitist? Really?
    why do i think most of you got beat everyday in high school and had your lunch money stolen?

  4. #44
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,495
    Like
    3,515
    Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    why do i think most of you got beat everyday in high school and had your lunch money stolen?
    Why do I think you had trouble completing high school?

  5. #45
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    why do i think most of you got beat everyday in high school and had your lunch money stolen?
    Why do I think you had trouble completing high school?
    USAFChief has a good memory for past postings.

  6. #46
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,566
    Like
    18
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Like it or not, this whole thread reeks of elitism. A discussion only about what you consider to be worth posting and how it should be delivered? Not elitist? Really?
    I'm working on that. Its just hard being better than everybody else..
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  7. #47
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,906
    Like
    75
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Want to sell me your Christian Ponder fan blog?
    Well, if we let him do that, it would make the rest of the articles look like award-winning stuff.
    Haha this is true, but to be fair I have never claimed to be a writer nor have desired to ever write a blog, I have the spelling/grammar skills of a 10 year old.

  8. #48
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,043
    Like
    1,767
    Liked 1,241 Times in 494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    USAFChief has a good memory for past postings.
    He's a damned elephant.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  9. #49
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,687
    Like
    157
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Haha this is true, but to be fair I have never claimed to be a writer nor have desired to ever write a blog, I have the spelling/grammar skills of a 10 year old.
    Was razzing ya more about the homerism.

  10. #50
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,928
    Like
    243
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Like it or not, this whole thread reeks of elitism. A discussion only about what you consider to be worth posting and how it should be delivered? Not elitist? Really?
    You might have a point if such considerations were baseless. Elitism isn't a bad thing when it asks people to better articulate their point of view and be more considerate about what they share with others. Asking people to be thoughtful doesn't exclude them, and if your ideas are well-thought out and you convey them convincingly, everyone here will like you.

    Honestly, no one wants to get into a discussion about how reckless and fuzzy abstract standards can be. Let's just table that, and be smart about baseball.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    208
    Like
    1
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I enjoyed this thread. Especially the memories it brought back about BYTO. After about three years there I finally started getting responses to some of my posts. I guess that's probably why it didn't last, but thinking about it makes me laugh.

    Off to start a pursue A Rod thread. Or was that Dave that started that one here?

  12. #52
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,906
    Like
    75
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Haha this is true, but to be fair I have never claimed to be a writer nor have desired to ever write a blog, I have the spelling/grammar skills of a 10 year old.
    Was razzing ya more about the homerism.
    5-2 baby!!!

  13. #53
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    382
    Like
    3
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Like it or not, this whole thread reeks of elitism. A discussion only about what you consider to be worth posting and how it should be delivered? Not elitist? Really?
    You might have a point if such considerations were baseless. Elitism isn't a bad thing when it asks people to better articulate their point of view and be more considerate about what they share with others. Asking people to be thoughtful doesn't exclude them, and if your ideas are well-thought out and you convey them convincingly, everyone here will like you.

    Honestly, no one wants to get into a discussion about how reckless and fuzzy abstract standards can be. Let's just table that, and be smart about baseball.
    Not baseless. The gist of this thread is saying that people who can't write articles to the "accepted" levels of a select few should not be posting anything. I wholeheartedly disagree. This site should be welcoming to all levels of Twins fans. Those that have their head buried under 4 feet of saber metrics all the way to the occasional game watcher. There is enough room for all. Some people can't do a better job of articulating point, which may be why they are starting a thread in the first place. Some people may just want to discuss and learn in the process. Some people rabble-rouse (you know who you are). You shouldn't be required to have a 5 paragraph, thoroughly researched point to post an article.

    When you say that somebody can't bring their point to the table because it doesn't meet your level of expectation to begin with is elitist and it is not good.
    Last edited by Fire Dan Gladden; 10-21-2012 at 07:29 PM.

  14. #54
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Like it or not, this whole thread reeks of elitism. A discussion only about what you consider to be worth posting and how it should be delivered? Not elitist? Really?
    I'm working on that. Its just hard being better than everybody else..
    If you do not like threads of get a great player for two tin cans or free agent sigings here that are not realistic, and by your last thread comment think you are reasonably intelligent I offer you this challenge. Start a thread of something other than whinning about others.

  15. #55
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,928
    Like
    243
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Like it or not, this whole thread reeks of elitism. A discussion only about what you consider to be worth posting and how it should be delivered? Not elitist? Really?
    You might have a point if such considerations were baseless. Elitism isn't a bad thing when it asks people to better articulate their point of view and be more considerate about what they share with others. Asking people to be thoughtful doesn't exclude them, and if your ideas are well-thought out and you convey them convincingly, everyone here will like you.

    Honestly, no one wants to get into a discussion about how reckless and fuzzy abstract standards can be. Let's just table that, and be smart about baseball.
    Not baseless. The gist of this thread is saying that people who can't write articles to the "accepted" levels of a select few should not be posting anything. I wholeheartedly disagree. This site should be welcoming to all levels of Twins fans. Those that have their head buried under 4 feet of saber metrics all the way to the occasional game watcher. There is enough room for all. Some people can't do a better job of articulating point, which may be why they are starting a thread in the first place. Some people may just want to discuss and learn in the process. Some people rabble-rouse (you know who you are). You shouldn't be required to have a 5 paragraph, thoroughly researched point to post an article.

    When you say that somebody can't bring their point to the table because it doesn't meet your level of expectation to begin with is elitist and it is not good.
    Your reading of the "gist" is just flat wrong.

    No one's asking for rigor or research (though it would be nice); simply be thoughtful and considerate. That's not exclusionary elitism. (And there's some irony about a poster named "Fire Dan Gladden" coming to defense of the common man. "Room for all." Give me a break.)

  16. #56
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    382
    Like
    3
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    19
    The gist is right. This thread started as a complaint about what a select few did not want to see.

    There is nothing ironic about the moniker. Actually, for the purpose of this discussion, it proves my point even more. I do believe Dan Gladden needs to be fired. I believe he is a terrible radio announcer that the Twins need to let go immediately. I don't need to write an in-depth article giving multiple examples why, I can just say it and be done. If you want some some imaginary level of journalism met by the writers and posters, go somewhere else.

  17. #57
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,518
    Like
    845
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    Here's some irony, for all the talk of being thoughtful, considerate, insightful, articulate, etc...none of this qualifies as any of those things.

    Back to baseball, Game 7! Cards- Giants, man Vogelsong was lights out last night! Would dearly love to see a Twins pitcher turn in that kind of performance someday soon.

  18. #58
    What would it take to get Mike Trout? Would Joe Benson and Kyle Gibson tickle the Angels' fancy?
    Joe Mauer should hit more home runs. JMO.

  19. #59
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,906
    Like
    75
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
    What would it take to get Mike Trout? Would Joe Benson and Kyle Gibson tickle the Angels' fancy?
    I think we would have to include another top prospect, like Swarzak.

  20. #60
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
    What would it take to get Mike Trout?
    Our whole farm system, Willingham, Span, and future considerations...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.