Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terry Ryan Interview - Submit Your Questions

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Terry Ryan Interview - Submit Your Questions

For our Offseason Handbook, I'm conducting an interview with Terry Ryan on Friday, right after he gets back from the organizational meetings. I'm gathering a list of topics and questions to prepare. If you have something you would like to know, submit it below. I can't guaranteed I'll ask it, or any of them, but it'll be on my radar as we talk through things.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since the organizatinal meetings are going on right now, one question on my mind this week is exactly what goes on during those meetings? We get the general "we discuss all the players in the system" response, but if he would be willing to provide a bit more detail than that, I'd find that interesting.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    I'm sure you're going to ask him questions about acquiring starting pitching, so I'd like to hear how he feels about the Twins middle infield situation going in to 2013.

Innings in 2013 for kgibson and possibly scot baket & how theyll differ as well as how theyll come to those innings. Liriano was allowed 200 innings in 08

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Does he agree with the perception that the Twins hold onto prospects too long and they either become *suspects* or completely stall out in the minors entirely?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Why does it appear that the coaching staff vacancies have been filled with just internal candidates? Do you see any value in new perspectives in the coaching staff?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
    Why are the Twins racist?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    Why are the Twins racist?
    slow clap

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Will the big new TV contracts in 2014 change payroll approach for the Twins in 2013. How will they affect the Twins and MLB long term?

e.g. Will that allow them to keep payroll somewhat higher in 2013 than it would have been otherwise. Does it change their payroll = 50% of income rule? Will they try to sign guys to extensions before that money causes inflation in contracts in a couple years?

I'd like to get a better idea of Ryan's mindset regarding starting pitching in 2013 and beyond, because everything he has said publicly thus far has been essentially generalizations (as is expected). So here's my question:

The Twins will spend approximately $27 million on player payroll at the catching position next season and $14 milion at first base. The position players, Mauer and Morneau, are expected to be among the best in baseball. Why has there been a reluctance by the Twins to field similar caliber talent when it comes to starting pitching, even if it means that you have to pay on the open market for such talent? Certainly it cannot be simply because the pitchers are not homegrown, or are more injury-prone than our own star players.

Given the difficulty of developing top-level pitching talent, isn't paying market value for reliable starting pitching (meaning pitchers that are superior in talent to "league average" pitchers such as Carl Pavano and "innings-eaters" like Jason Marquis) just the way that it has to be done sometimes in order to field a team that can at least win half its games?
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

I think it would be interesting if you can work in some questions if he has plans or preferences
    regarding the expected logjam in the OF if the Twins best prospects start showing they are ML ready
    while we still have the current group.

For instance: is the Muaer / AJ pattern to trade starters before the next player is ready preferable?
    Or would he prefer to hold the current players until the new players are proven at the major league level?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    You are the metrics geek, ask him about what metrics they use in their analysis of players. You will either be very happy, or others will finally be justified in their comments.In past years when making trades Ryan has found a good number of capable pitchers in other organizations. What does he look for that they other people are missing.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How does he plan to fill out the rotation before Baker and Gibson are ready to go? What is the backup plan, if one or both of them isnt' ready in time, or suffers a setback?

edit: I'd also be curious to know whether he intends to be aggressive early this offseason, or take a wait and see what's left in January approach, to signing FAs
    Last edited by Willihammer; 10-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Liked 360 Times in 204 Posts
    I'm still a little puzzled by his comments about Joe Mauer and 3rd base seeming like a "perfect fit". Could you figure out a way to artfully ask him if they have initiated (or will initiate this winter) discussions with Mauer about a move to 3rd (recognizing that it would probably be part-time for now).

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    I'd like to know what qualifications Vavra has to be an infield coach?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to know:
    1. Does he have plans to bring in middle infield starters or competition for the current crop we have now.
    2. Does he expect to be active in the FA market?
    3. Does he think he can get enough starting pitching talent to make a fair assessment of Gardy and Rick Anderson at the end of next season?

I know all the immediate needs questions are going to dominate your in-box, but I think it would be
    interestng to query Ryan on how he uses the bottom of the 40 man roster while the Twins have such high
    waiver picks (again).

How much or how little an advantage (in his opinion) is it to have high waiver priority for 40 man rosters
    moves (like Rule V and in-season waiver claims, not so much the draft which is more self evident)?

Was Mr. Ryan prepared or surprised by how high the waiver claim priority the Twins had for the 2nd entire
    season? Did he feel he fully exploited the opportunities that came up?

Do any advantages from high waiver priorities decline as you have them for longer period of times, (like 2 straight
    years)?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 780 Times in 427 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I'd like to know what qualifications Vavra has to be an infield coach?
    I believe he was an infielder in the minors.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How has the game changed since he started as the GM? How has it changed in the last 10 years to where we are at now?
    *JR will love this question
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why joe mauer doesn't heet mor homruns?@?!
    @OverTheBaggy

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast