Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jim Rantz Retires

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 325 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Huh? Incredibly, twinswon1991, you were able to avoid facts once again. Congratulations.
    It's his thing. He ignores facts, Thrylos makes them up. The Twins Daily version of Romney/Ryan!
    Politics-injector always is the loser of the point in question.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 325 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Farewell to Rantz, can't say I hate to see him go. I know he has put a lot of time in with the Twins, but at some point you have to call it a career. Rantz will be missed by many within the organization. I welcome new ideas in an organization that has few of them.
    This comment seems to hit all the right notes. I am befuddled by all the people who come on here to advocate for, and blindly defend, maintainance of the status quo.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    jokin, no doubt you're befuddled. Is it possible that some of us just see things differently? How often do you get accused of "blindly attacking" the "status quo"? Not often. I don't observe commenters here advocating to maintain the status quo, but I do observe that some people believe the organization is operating fundamentally well. Of course, it's easy to point to a short-term record as evidence of the need for wholesale change. You could be right. However, some of us carefully regard a number of contributing factors to the current record. We see evidence of change, and believe the organization is directionally on track. Time will tell. No reason for befuddledment, because people are not advocting for and blindly defending maintenance of the statuis quo. People just differ with you about what changes are necessary, so cut them a little slack, OK?. They may actually have a point.

The thing is this: right now, the Twins are holding their annual organizational meetings, attended by roughly 85 employees. According to some of you, this group will be entirely bereft of "new ideas". This group will "blindly defend" the status quo. I for one believe differently. Changes get made all the time. I personally couldn't make a sensible judgment about the quality and performance of this group of people. That would be an act of arrogance. What I hope for and expect is incremental change and improvement.

I for one am really optimistic about 2014 and beyond, and I even expect the 2013 tea to be pretty fun to watch

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Huh? Incredibly, twinswon1991, you were able to avoid facts once again. Congratulations.
    It's his thing. He ignores facts, Thrylos makes them up. The Twins Daily version of Romney/Ryan!
    Holy crap. I agree with jokin. Who knew? Seriously "gunnarthor." That comment was a massive fail.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Holy crap. I agree with jokin. Who knew? Seriously "gunnarthor." That comment was a massive fail.
    You all protest the politics but do not disprove the lack of reality by twinswon1991 and Thrylos

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Interesting quote in that linked Strib article about what Rantz has done to this organization, by the former interim GM:

"You talk about a face of a franchise," General Manager Terry Ryan said. "Even though Jimís not out there in the public view very much, inside this organization, the roots of the organization -- it is Jim. He hired Gardy. He was part of hiring Billy [Smith]. He was part of hiring me and almost all of our major league coaches and managers and trainers."

So part of the root cause of the Twins' problems is thankfully gone. A few more remain...

Good to see a young 30 something replacing Rantz. At least he grew up with computers
    Haha. Yeah, I am glad that he retired as well.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I quite get the hate here. It isn't as if the Twins consistently get less out of the talent that they get. If so, he needed to go. I suspect the bigger problem has been talent evaluation, paritcularly with pitching. This team has liked its "nick blackburn" type pitchers for too long. This was in part because they were cheaper and less risky during an era where they had a 60M payroll, and that is defensible to an extent. But that is also why this team has little starting pitching in the upper minors, and that has absolutely nothing to do with Mr. Rantz.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no reason to bring up politics in a thread like this regardless of political view. On a note of the members bickering with each other, everybody has their own opinions, some people like to make sure everybody knows their opinion. Yes, members on the board have the common sense to realize who is annoyingly aggressive with their opinion, and 95 % of those people who recognize that are mature enough to ignore them. This is a site about the Twins and baseball in general,lets keep it that way.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123