Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Rantz Retires

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Wow. Not even 24 hours and the same old haters can't even give the guy a little respect.

Jim Rantz spent over two/thirds of his life working for the Twins. He was a major part in virtually everything that is and ever has been a part of this team. He was here from Killebrew to Mauer, from the Met to Target Field, from Sam Mele to Gardy, and everything in between. Regardless of what you think he brought to the table, or whether you think he did a good job, you have to respect what he personally gave to this franchise.

For those of you that can't understand this, I am very glad that I don't wake up in the morning with your pitiful outlook on life.
    If one thinks that longevity in a position due to factors other than merit, should demand "respect" automatically, methinks THAT Is a pitiful (and mightly pathetic) outlook on life...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    You know, thrylos, some of us like to remember and even celebrate some of the good things, like the Rantz connection to Kirby Puckett.

Leave it to you to come along and piss in the punch bowl. I feel sorry for you.

The Twins went a full decade not once picking in the top third of the draft (Hicks, 2006, I believe).
    If the computerless Rantz (a thrylos rant) was such a big problem, the Twins should certainly have a farm system ranked among the ten worst, right? Instead, the latest rankings will place the Twins certainly in the top third, often higher. Rantz doesn't get all the credit for this, but he deserves much of the praise he gets, most of it coming from people who know what they're talking about. This contrasts with the opinion of some pissant with his snotty little head buried in his little laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    The Twins went a full decade not once picking in the top third of the draft (Hicks, 2006, I believe).
    If the computerless Rantz (a thrylos rant) was such a big problem, the Twins should certainly have a farm system ranked among the ten worst, right? Instead, the latest rankings will place the Twins certainly in the top third, often higher. Rantz doesn't get all the credit for this, but he deserves much of the praise he gets, most of it coming from people who know what they're talking about. This contrasts with the opinion of some pissant with his snotty little head buried in his little laptop.
    Huh? The Twins have zero, ZERO, pitching prospects in their system other than Berrios. Their top 2 prospects are a free agent purchase (Sano) and last year's #2 pick. They have drafted and developed HORRIBLY. The reason their system has risen so much this year is the #2 pick was signed and they didn't graduate any prospects last year (because they didn't have any good ones) unlike other teams. TB, STL, Oak and other computer literate "new school" teams find prospects every year without picking in the top 1/3 of the draft every year. The Twins under TR have become a good ole boys club with no accountability. They demoted BS to appease the fans even though the astute fans know that TR was behind all of the drafting/scouting when BS was in charge.

I hope this young guy is not just another yes-man who is forced into TR's old school ways of drafting/signing nice guys who are willing to buy into the "Twins Way". The Twins way will be LOSING until they find a way to rid themselves of the old guard who got this organization in this bind.

As a die hard Twins fan I don't want to go another 10+ years without winning a playoff game especially now that payroll is no longer an excuse.

Huh? Incredibly, twinswon1991, you were able to avoid facts once again. Congratulations.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Interesting quote in that linked Strib article about what Rantz has done to this organization, by the former interim GM:

"You talk about a face of a franchise," General Manager Terry Ryan said. "Even though Jimís not out there in the public view very much, inside this organization, the roots of the organization -- it is Jim. He hired Gardy. He was part of hiring Billy [Smith]. He was part of hiring me and almost all of our major league coaches and managers and trainers."
    So part of the root cause of the Twins' problems is thankfully gone. A few more remain...

Good to see a young 30 something replacing Rantz. At least he grew up with computers
    Are you even aware that computers are only as good ad the person programming them. The same data about players is available now as when when he started. You remain clueless what people of any age are capable of. Brock can give me a weeks vacation from this boar but Thyrloss's cluelessness about people older than thirty is sickening.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Interesting quote in that linked Strib article about what Rantz has done to this organization, by the former interim GM:

"You talk about a face of a franchise," General Manager Terry Ryan said. "Even though Jim’s not out there in the public view very much, inside this organization, the roots of the organization -- it is Jim. He hired Gardy. He was part of hiring Billy [Smith]. He was part of hiring me and almost all of our major league coaches and managers and trainers."
    So part of the root cause of the Twins' problems is thankfully gone. A few more remain...

Good to see a young 30 something replacing Rantz. At least he grew up with computers
    Are you even aware that computers are only as good ad the person programming them. The same data about players is available now as when when he started. You remain clueless what people of any age are capable of. Brock can give me a weeks vacation from this boar but Thyrloss's cluelessness about people older than thirty is sickening.
    hmmmm
    I suspect that you are referring to me with that "Thyrloss's"...
    Unfortunately, I got to confess that I have been personally so not clueless about people older than thirty for the best part of 2 decades now...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

About time. Guy's WAR has been slipping for six straight seasons.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honest question...how involved is the minor league director with drafting? He's not really a scout anymore right? So does he even have any input on drafts and international signings?

Senior Member Double-A Lesser Dali's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the glass half empty guys: he soon will be gone and all of those mediocre years and failed prospects under his reign will be behind you... take a deep breath and enjoy. Savor this moment.

For the glass half full guys: 2 World Championships in 4 years... fantastique! A plethora a very good and a few great great players under his watch... great as well! If you were alive and cognizant of those Championship Years, the joy of those accomplishments remain - an everlasting hangover.

My thought is that it is almost impossible to be a "Arm Chair" Farm Director.

If you are displeased and want to blame someone on the Twin's Mediocrity - blame the owners. After all, they are the ones who have the power to change or not change things.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Wow. Not even 24 hours and the same old haters can't even give the guy a little respect.

Jim Rantz spent over two/thirds of his life working for the Twins. He was a major part in virtually everything that is and ever has been a part of this team. He was here from Killebrew to Mauer, from the Met to Target Field, from Sam Mele to Gardy, and everything in between. Regardless of what you think he brought to the table, or whether you think he did a good job, you have to respect what he personally gave to this franchise.

For those of you that can't understand this, I am very glad that I don't wake up in the morning with your pitiful outlook on life.
    Thank you for writing this!! You are 100% correct!!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Honest question...how involved is the minor league director with drafting? He's not really a scout anymore right? So does he even have any input on drafts and international signings?
    He's not involved in the drafting at all, or if so, VERY minimally. He also has no (or very minimal) say in the international signings.

righty8383, thanks for pointing out that Rantz was only in charge of developing the players, and not drafting them. Rantz and about five dozen other employees that is.

Oh, and Rantz and his staff did such a lousy job developing players that, despite being given so little to work with in the opinion of many of you, he was able to supply the big club with these players this year: Revere, Hendriks, Robertson, Waldrop, Diamond, DeVries, Parmelee, and Dozier.

Oh, and Rantz and his staff did such a lousy job developing players that, despite being given so little to work with in the opinion of many of you, he was able to supply the big club with these players this year: Revere, Hendriks, Robertson, Waldrop, Diamond, DeVries, Parmelee, and Dozier.
    Not to rain on your parade but Diamond may have made it as a #5 on a good team if he even got a chance due to his pedigre and Revere would've played as a nice #4 OF on a contender. The rest don't sniff the bigs in a good organization. Lipstick on a pig....

Ageism is alive and well in the heart of Pennsyl-tucky

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wishing Mr. Rantz the best. That's quite a run and I'm sure the guy has plenty of great stories to tell.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    [QUOTE=thrylos98;58336][QUOTE=old nurse;58334]
    Unfortunately, I got to confess that I have been personally so not clueless about people older than thirty for the best part of 2 decades now...
    Then are you speaking from experience when you say a thirty something can do a better job than an elder?

The ability to use a computer is not tied to age. I am sure Warren Buffet learned to use one. They were pretty rudimentary in Gates and Wozniak's youth.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Huh? Incredibly, twinswon1991, you were able to avoid facts once again. Congratulations.
    It's his thing. He ignores facts, Thrylos makes them up. The Twins Daily version of Romney/Ryan!

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Farewell to Rantz, can't say I hate to see him go. I know he has put a lot of time in with the Twins, but at some point you have to call it a career. Rantz will be missed by many within the organization. I welcome new ideas in an organization that has few of them.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast