Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Why do Twins fans boo Derek Jeter??

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    He's the best player on the most hated team in MLB....pretty easyhe Yankees suck
    Just because he's booed doesnt mean he's not heavily respected just like booing doesnt have to mean hatred
    The Yankees suck, that's why exactly. As far as "Because he dates women we dream about" - there's only one woman on that list I'm halfway attracted to (Scarlett J.). The rest aren't much more than floozies.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    As stated above....pretty simple. He is the face of the most hated team , so he gets booed. Comes with the territory.

Because he is a Yankee. He may be one of the least annoying of the Yankees-- but he is still a Yankee. Any other team-- it would be a different story. On another note-- I am just loving watching A-Rod struggle

Liked 1,193 Times in 695 Posts
    Generally I boo the Yankees not specific players. I've never been really inclined to boo Jeter. And at least he has had the good sense not to get married and then continue to date all the women (and others) listed above. (But the gift baskets of memorabilia are somewhat disgusting to me).

I do boo Alex Rodriguez apart from my general Yankee booing. Atlhough this post-season even that is toned down by his generally miserable appearance and performance.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a better question might be, "do you boo any specific players on the Yankees more than others?" Cause asking why Twins fans boo anyone from the Yankees seems silly.

I've never been to a Yankees game honestly, are the boos for Jeter really that much worse than anyone else? I would assume that almost always being the leadoff hitter is a contributing factor, as he'd then be the first candidate to bear the boos meant for the Yankees in general.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Because he is a(an) Yankee, duh. And he is a man/slut. He has slept with more women than Wilt Chamberlain

Because I have no interest in watching him help the Yankees succeed and I've no interest in spending the night with him.

He's a key cog in the worst machine baseball ever allowed.

It got me thinking again about what of the most perplexing things about some Twins fans. Why does Derek Jeter get booed so loudly when he comes to Minnesota??
    Do Twins fans boo Derek Jeter at Target Field? How long have Twins fans been booing Derek Jeter?

I ask because I was at a Yankees game last year, August 19th, and Jeter was not booed that night.
    Last edited by powrwrap; 10-15-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Interesting question.
    I think it’s more of a frustration, as both a Twins fan, and a baseball fan, of not being on even playing field with the Yankees. Whatever the reasons.
    Booing Jeter doesn’t seem to me to be the right response. He has been able to keep his position and play relatively well throughout his career. Regardless of whether a guy is or is not the top at his position every year, to play for so many years creates statistical relevance.
    Now if you were able to put one of the Steinbrenners on the field…

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3 reasons.
    1. I hate the Yankees. Jeter is their Cap'n. Makes sense.
    2. A little jealousy. Jeter is the guy in high school who is better than you at everything. Now do I believe that?....Yes, but he tries to be perfect, nobody is, and the media makes him out to be.
    3. Overrated. Jeter has never been the best player in the MLB in any season he's ever played. He's good, but people treat him like he's the best player of his generation and he's never been that dominant. Move him from SS where he's not that great defensively anyway and his offensive numbers are no where near as special

Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Simply put, I'm tired of hearing the media gush about him. It's hard not to hate a guy even if you do respect the guy as a great player if you try to watch any baseball coverage on tv, let's say on ESPN, that isn't a Yankees game, but yet they tie half their information in their coverage to Jeter or the Yankees. I would love to know the percentage of time ESPN spends talking about the Yankees and Red Sox compared to every other team combined. I was watching NFL network this morning before the games started and I had to sit through a Jeter segment. Do you know how annoying that is?
    Sounds like you have an issue with ESPN's coverage and you are taking it out on Jeter because you can't change the channel. Jeter is classy through and through. I know kids shouldn't look to athletes as role models, but Jeter would be near the top of my list for the way he conducts himself on and off the field. The majority of Twins fans boo Jeter for all of the reasons stated. He is a great player and a great team and the Twins fans wish he was on the Twins and they were as good as they Yankees. In my opinion, if you boo Jeter you are a Twins fan. If you don't boo him you are a baseball fan.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mysonlikes7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Simply put, I'm tired of hearing the media gush about him. It's hard not to hate a guy even if you do respect the guy as a great player if you try to watch any baseball coverage on tv, let's say on ESPN, that isn't a Yankees game, but yet they tie half their information in their coverage to Jeter or the Yankees. I would love to know the percentage of time ESPN spends talking about the Yankees and Red Sox compared to every other team combined. I was watching NFL network this morning before the games started and I had to sit through a Jeter segment. Do you know how annoying that is?
    Sounds like you have an issue with ESPN's coverage and you are taking it out on Jeter because you can't change the channel. Jeter is classy through and through. I know kids shouldn't look to athletes as role models, but Jeter would be near the top of my list for the way he conducts himself on and off the field. The majority of Twins fans boo Jeter for all of the reasons stated. He is a great player and a great team and the Twins fans wish he was on the Twins and they were as good as they Yankees. In my opinion, if you boo Jeter you are a Twins fan. If you don't boo him you are a baseball fan.
    You're missing the point. I enjoy sporting news. I clearly stated that I had to sit through a Jeter segment on the NFL Network also. I do have a problem with media coverage of Jeter. Give us some more variety - appeal the baseball fans a bit more, not just the Yankees fans. Over half the people that claim to be Yankees fans probably couldn't even name you half their playoff roster.

You can also think he has been classy through and through, but if you think that if he played for a small market team, hit free agency, and would be giving them a home town discount so he could stay with them his whole career, then you are crazy. This is the same guy that as a 39 year old will be making $17 million dollars to play a below average shortstop, which he got by essentially holding the Yankees hostage due to his 'face of the franchise' status. Maybe when Mauer is 35, he should do the same thing to play catcher for us. Figuring the rising rates of salaries, he should be able to ask for about $30 million to play catcher and be the face of the franchise for us for a few more years.

For the record, I've never booed Jeter. I am simply answering the question as to why I think most people have such a disdain for the guy.

I boo Jeter because he is the Yankees captain and I have hated the Yankees since I started following baseball back in 1957. I respect him as a very good player but I dislike what he and the Yankees represent. I buy my tickets and I can boo whom ever I wish. What are you saying Seth, we should not boo him because he is a good player and a sure Hall of Famer. Come on............

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You know what, Seth and the rest of the pro-Jeter writers are correct. We should all applaud Jeter because after all, our primary concern in determining whether we cheer or boo a player should be based on his character and whether he's got "class," rather than whether he plays for the Twins or the opponent, right?

Oh, if we would only learn to pattern our own fan behavior after the home crowd at Yankee Stadium who, as we all know, consistently give warm ovations to the the likes of Joe Mauer and the star players of all visiting teams.

Jeter's a F'ing Yankee. When his career is over, we can all wax poetic over what a wonderful human being he was during his playing days. Until then, he's the enemy. Period.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The player that comes to mind for me when I think of Jeter is Joe Dimaggio.

a. Yankee-Check

b. dated Beautiful women- Check

c. Adored by Yankee fans to levels that only stalkers and Packer fans reach-Check

I think that when he retired Joe D called himself and was called the greatest living ballplayer by Yankee apologists at a time when Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Stan Musial were all still walking this earth. If memeory serves me right he dictated that was how he was to be introduced at Yankee Stadium for Old Timer games.

There is always a extra bit of glow with wearing the Yankee uniform that may fade over time. I have seen it with Dimaggio, Reggie, Donnie Baseball, Guidry and others. I don't think Jeter will fall as far, but the glow may not be as bright in ten years as it is today. I don't even think Jeter was the most important member of that great group of players that the Yankees had for that period. I would have to give that to Rivera, Mariano and not Reuben. Most closers I think are overated, but not him.

I do think he is a top 5 SS. A-Rod, Wagner, Jeter, Ripken, The Wizard, and Yount. If you discard A-Rod and Yount as playing too much at other positions, which I would not, then you have him,Wagner, and Ozzie. Of those I could live with Jeter being the best.

I think the reason Twins fans and other fans boo Jeter is Yankee fans. Their idolizing of him has a strange, sickening and over zealous edge to it that borders on a mental illness. They had the same thing going on with Mattingly to a lesser extent and because of that Mattingly was over hyped.

Give it a few years and check back on the Captain. Yes he has the rings and the offensive numbers, but a few years ago Cal Ripken was the greatest Shortstop ever according some scribes. You would think there would be greater Shortstops though.
    Last edited by MWLFan; 10-15-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    I don't boo him, but I am so oversatured with Yankee hype that I can't help but be annoyed by the guy. I'll acknowledge his talent, his guts, and his approach, but that doesn't overcome the rest. It's just too much of him and too much of that team.

I think sometimes he's been vaulted into this transcendent level of play that he's not always worthy of. He's comparable to guys like Biggio and Yount - that's the level of player I think he is (a great player) but not this immortal giant of the game. That just sort of adds to my annoyance I think. Maybe it's because I was always such a big Biggio fan.

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    He's the best player on the most hated team in MLB....pretty easy
    Just because he's booed doesnt mean he's not heavily respected just like booing doesnt have to mean hatred
    I guess this must go the same for AJ Pierzynski.
    Ive never thought that MN fans dont appreciate what AJ did here for 3 yrs.....but he's an arrogant player who takes onfield cheap shots for the Twins #1 rival. Not hard to figure out.
    Ive always personally hated Torii Hunter more as he left for nothing more than money (but claimed it wasnt) cause he was tired of MN.
    SO glad he never won anything with ANA
    At least someone else appreciated AJ during his time here. Also, no phony leg weakness or other crap from AJ he plays all the time. And by playing I mean playing catcher not hiding in the DH or playing 1ST.

Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    As a fan who is sick and tired of the Jeter "mystic", let me say this: He is overrated. You may think it hard to say that a player with 3300 hits is overrated, but it is actually pretty simple:

- He has played on a team that constantly has all-star players batting around him, which can only make his job that much easier.
    - At any given time, he was never considered the best current player at his position (Tejada, A-Rod, Nomar, Rollins, Ramirez).
    - He has only led the league in PA (5 times), AB (once), Runs (once) and hits (twice). Not exactly dominating numbers considering what he supposedly brings to the table.
    - Never an MVP
    - While he has 5 GG, every defensive metric under the sun shows him to be a sub-par to atrocious defender.
    - His biggest plus is that he rarely misses a game. Now that isn't a bad thing, but we don't have any problem destroying compiliers, why does Jeter get a pass in this area.

Let's talk about Cap'n Jetes "ability" to lead a team:
    - Refused to even discuss moving from short when the team acquired A-Rod, though at the time A-Rod was a superior defensive player.
    - He plays the media to make himself look better. When A-Rod struggles, Jeter is mysteriously silent. But if others struggle, Jeter will publicly support them. He's done this to others as well.
    - Refused to discuss moving to the outfield, though it would make the team better. Yount, Biggio... Cabrera moved back to 3B this year to accomidate Fielder. Jeter just has to look to his right for somebody willing to sacrifice for the team.

Many other things he gets credit for crack me up:
    - All-Star selections are meaningless. It's a popularity contest.
    - Yes, Derek Jeter dates "dream" women. So does virtually every other MLB player. Seriously, have you seen the wives of most of these guys? Also, do you suppose they all got the Derek Jeter date package left for them in the backseat of the car the morning after?

Derek Jeter is an elitist, self-centered, egomaniac. I boo Derek Jeter because he is a Yankee and because I believe him to be overrated. If he played for the Royals his whole career, would you put him over George Brett? I wouldn't.

The Jeter legend is driven solely by the media. Put him on a midwestern team and he becomes Craig Biggio. Not a bad player, just not a "greatest of all time"
    You forgot that announcers gush about how awesome he is in October but his postseason stats are essentially his career stats. Mark Lemke and Marquis Grissom, he is not.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    To quote Reggie Jackson, it's because "they don't boo nobodies." Derek Jeter is the captain, the iconic yankee. I respect the man immensely for how he conducts himself on and off the field. I boo him because he is the face of the Yankees, a franchise that has dealt my beloved Twins many devastating blows over the last decade. It's not personal- it's just the way it has to be.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not really a boo-er, but my hatred for all things Yankees gets the best of me, and to be fair, I don't just boo Jeter, I boo all of the Yankees. Jeter is the face of the franchise, I hate the Yankees, so by correlation I despise Jeter, not personally mind you, but as soon as he takes the field, he's just another cog in the Evil Empire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast