Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Skip Schumaker

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Skip Schumaker

Skip Schumaker seems to be a good fit as a platoon 2B for the Twins next season. Daniel Descalso has taken over the 2B spot for the Cardinals and looks to be the future at the position. Schumaker is a duplicate player as he's a LH 2B like Descalso. I won't go in depth into his career stats, because I'm sure if you're interested you'd look it up to approve or disapprove this thread , but he hits RH pitching well.. Career .305/.359/.403 slash line.

The plan would be to platoon him along side Jamey Carroll at 2B with Carroll also being the utility guy at SS and 3B when needed. This would also help keep Carroll's AB under 400. Schumaker is under contract for 1yr - 1.5M in 2013, will be 33 years old and shouldn't cost too much to acquire. What are your thoughts?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We already have an aging offense. We need to develop younger players who will be part of the next playoff team. Adding more guys in their 30s adds to the cycle of mediocrity.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    We already have an aging offense. We need to develop younger players who will be part of the next playoff team. Adding more guys in their 30s adds to the cycle of mediocrity.
    I agree that we need to develop younger players, but I also want to field the most competitive team I can to start 2013. Considering we don't have a young 2B ready to start everyday I feel platooning these two would be a good short term solution, as he would only be a 1 year commitment which would also help block Carroll's vesting option which would make 2013 his last year as well and would clear the 2B position for 2013. Maybe by mid season Brian Dozier finds his confidence in AAA next year or Danny Santana does well in AA, one of them can become the young developing 2B.

With the need to acquire young starting pitching, I don't see them being able to acquire a young MI so I'm suggesting Schumaker as a one year stop gap. Plus if we're out of it by mid season, I'm sure he would have trade value to a contending team, and should bring a similar return as to what we'd give up to acquire him.
    Last edited by JP3700; 10-13-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the idea. Pretty cheap option too.
    BA OBP SLG OPS
    Caroll vs Lefties .338 .405 .434 .839
    Schumaker vs Righties .295 .357 .385 .741
    Combined .311 .375 .403 .777

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good idea. It depends on what it would take to acquire him. PTBNL or something and go for it. Too much more and we're giving up value for a bench/platoon bat.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gardy is insistent on switch hitting middle infielders. It is why they bit on Eduardo Escobar, they are a suckers for those guys.

If the Twins can find time for Mauer at 3B against righthanders, they could bring in a righthanded bat to platoon at 1b or right field when they face lefthanders. Mike Napoli would be ideal, the Twins could finally drop Butera then too.

No need to drop Butera. Just plug him in as our 4th/5th starter!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Delmon Young hit an RBI double to break a 4-4 tie in the 12th inning of Game 1 of the ALCS on Saturday, helping the Tigers to a 6-4 victory over the Yankees.

The double in the 12th was hammered at Nick Swisher in right field, but he played it awkwardly and was unable to make the grab. Young blooped a one-out RBI single to right in the sixth inning, increasing the Tigers’ advantage to 2-0, and led off the eighth with a solo blast off Derek Lowe. Despite being acquired just last season, the homer was Young’s sixth in the postseason as a member of the Tigers, setting the all-time franchise record.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Derek Jeter has been diagnosed with a fractured ankle and will miss the remainder of the postseason.

It's a staggering blow for the Yankees' captain, who suffered the fracture in the 12th inning of Saturday's ALCS Game 1 loss to the Tigers. It's estimated that he'll need three months of recovery time. The Yankees will likely add Eduardo Nunez to the roster to provide infield depth. They'll roll with either Nunez or Jayson Nix at shortstop for the remainder of the playoffs.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    I don't know why the Cardinals would want to get rid of Schumaker, he was never truly a full time "starter" the past two years for them anyways. He is on a cheap deal and still provides value, I mean if they want to give him away for nothing I am all for it though. Ideally we could then find a taker for Carroll.