Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liriano

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If there is any team that could get the maximum out of Liriano I would say it would be the Rays. They get everybody else's best, why not his?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And, oh by the way, Liriano had a 5.40 ERA with Chicago and his WHIP was higher, BB/9 was higher, SO/9 was lower and SO/BB was lower. Yeah he really improved with the change of scenery. Leave him be, hell he might be out of baseball and playing slow pitch softball with Delmon Young in 2 or 3 years,

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I think he'll probably cost a little more than that, but I'd be in favor of bringing him back on a one-year deal. Still only 29 and there's quite a bit of upside there. Are people forgetting what a world-beater he was for three months before the Twins traded him?
    He wasn't exactly facing the 27 Yanks in that little 10 game run. 3 NL teams, Oak twice, KC twice, White Sox, Balt and TX. Some good offensive teams in there but a lot of bad lineups, too. TX game was fluky - 6 walks and 5 hits but only 1 run. And it wasn't like he got better in Chicago. Those 10 games were about all that went right for him last year.
    Absolutely forget about him.....but with MIL & Pitt bein 2 of the 3 NL team.....his only bad teams he faced were CHI-C, & KC, other 7 were contenders & playoff teams.
    Forget about saying he'll pitch for incentives.....players who arent injured dont do that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Having Liriano come back is only slightly less "out there" than thinking a healthy Josh Johnson would bypass the prime years of free agency for a discount of 4 years/75 million. The only way to bring back a Liriano is on a minor league contract.
    Last edited by old nurse; 10-12-2012 at 11:10 PM.

I have no problem with Liriano on a minor league deal or a 1 yr - 3 million dollar type of thing.

If we could get a hot month or two out of him, he'd be worth it.

If he starts struggling, well, we send him down and see what happens.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    im guessing we sign nothing but has beens or never weres... its the twins way , so if we wont shell out for starters , at least they can do is get 3-4 more quality relievers...and if frankie is cheap enough and willing why not try him as a 1 inning reliever instead of a long man out of the pen?
    i remember watching him prior to being sent to the pen last year and wondering ,geez the 1st inning he is lights out and by the 2nd or 3rd inning i want to hang him...

No. There's a decent chance he'd be the worst starter on the 2013 Twins, regardless who else they add this winter.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If he would accept it, there's little risk and huge reward. He could either waste 2mil, boost us into respectability, or get us a decent prospect at the deadline.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Liriano will probably sign for about $7-8 M a year. Look at the contract the Twins signed with Marquis, Capps and Pavano. There is no way that Liriano signs for $3M or so...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Liriano is not going to get 7 mil. He is rocking a 5.23 ERA the last two seasons, teams will take a chance on him no doubt, but not for 7-8 mil.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you can get him for $4m, you have to do it. Too much upside for that kind of money when the alternative is a Marquis type.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Liriano is not going to get 7 mil. He is rocking a 5.23 ERA the last two seasons, teams will take a chance on him no doubt, but not for 7-8 mil.
    I love how a million or two makes Liriano's performance odds magically transform from awful to awesome.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    If you can get him for $4m, you have to do it. Too much upside for that kind of money when the alternative is a Marquis type.
    Upside? What if we've already seen it?

I think we just have to consider Liriano as one of those players who had great potential but could never put it together, for whatever reason. That's hardly uncommon - there are more of those than there are aces.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Upside? What if we've already seen it?

I think we just have to consider Liriano as one of those players who had great potential but could never put it together, for whatever reason. That's hardly uncommon - there are more of those than there are aces.
    Well....
    truth of the matter: he did put it together. He was the best pitcher in baseball in 2006. Then stuff happened.
    Cannot forget that.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,181 Times in 628 Posts
    Potentially signing Liriano is now considered moving forward? What is the upside to this again? The snowball's chance in hell he even comes close to what he did in pre-injury '06?

Liriano will probably only get a single season offer, might hit $3.5-4 million, but probably with a backend team (or maybe even the Astros). I doubt that he'll be signable for a multi-year and his agent will be stepping all over him to actually pitch in 2013 if he wants to make big bucks. So i might be a good year to gamble on him. Here's a guy in for a big letdown...starting 2012 with the thought that he'd easily make $8-10 and probably sign a $36-40 million multi-season deal. Yes, Francisco and Delmon are both in for a rude awakening...and look for them on-the0field in KC, Pittsburgh, Colorado or Houston. But not Minnesota!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 82 Posts
    If Liriano is a good pitcher, how come he never pitches like... ya know... a good pitcher?

Seriously. Dude sucks. He has since 2006, one fluke year notwithstanding (and even then he wasn't that great). This is like asking whether we want to bring back Joel Zumaya. No thanks.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 82 Posts
    Oh, and if anyone is still bitching about getting a pitcher and a slick fielding middle infielder in trade for a few months of 5.5 ERA Liriano, you need to give up now. The Twins were lucky to get anything beyond a bag of balls and/or Ozzie f-ing Guillen for that waste of talent.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I get the the "well, if we can get him cheap, he's worth a gamble" argument. But he's not going to come cheap. There will be some idiot that overpays for him. There always is with guys like this.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    If Liriano is a good pitcher, how come he never pitches like... ya know... a good pitcher?

Seriously. Dude sucks. He has since 2006, one fluke year notwithstanding (and even then he wasn't that great). This is like asking whether we want to bring back Joel Zumaya. No thanks.
    LOL 2006 wasn't that great? 2.16 ERA 10.7k is pretty damn good...
    He was also pretty good in 2008 and 2010. I guess you basically would hope that this is the year that it finally "clicks" with him? Who knows. I'd just rather give him 3 million or so then the next Ramon Ortiz type who you know will post a 4.75-5.00 ERA at least with Liriano there is the hope he figures it out and gives you a 3.50 ERA or something.

I also like the thought about putting him in the pen, however he really would need to lower his walk rate, which exactly wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast