Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Lottery Tickets

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 431 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Don't forget to add Minnesota's own Carl Pavano to the list of pitchers looking at minor league deals this offseason.
    Marquis, too...

(and he did better than the others last season )
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    I understand your thinking-- not really in favor of it. Dumpster diving has never proven that successful.
    It's possible to find useful players on minor-league contracts. The Twins had success finding relief arms through that avenue last offseason. The Orioles found a starter who as I type this is currently shutting down the Yankees in Game 3 of an ALDS series. It's all about making good evaluations and getting a little lucky.

The article is called "Lottery Tickets" for a reason. No one is suggesting that you give any of these guys a major league deal or guaranteed rotation spot. There's little downside to bringing them to spring training - and maybe even sending them to Rochester to start the season - and seeing what they have.

Also available as of today, Jesse Litsch (Blue Jays), who profiles as a Twin from a cost/past-performance perspective: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ww.typepad.com

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    for a baseball junkie to come up with these for options is disheartening. Not quite as bad though as mortgaging the future fore an oft injured pitcher that will take a good chunk of your payroll

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    for a baseball junkie to come up with these for options is disheartening.
    Minor. League. Contracts.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    I want Terry Ryan to take this aproach...Sign ALL of them to minor league deals if you can. EVERY SINGLE ONE. If one makes it then it is all worth it. Add Carl Pavano, Marquis, Scott Baker, Blackburn (already stuck with him anyway), Kevin Slowey, and any other reject who may have the stuff in there somewhere. Our pitching staff would suck if we played in the Independent League. The Fargo Red Hawks have a better staff than the Twinks

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    I understand your thinking-- not really in favor of it. Dumpster diving has never proven that successful.
    It's possible to find useful players on minor-league contracts. The Twins had success finding relief arms through that avenue last offseason. The Orioles found a starter who as I type this is currently shutting down the Yankees in Game 3 of an ALDS series. It's all about making good evaluations and getting a little lucky.

The article is called "Lottery Tickets" for a reason. No one is suggesting that you give any of these guys a major league deal or guaranteed rotation spot. There's little downside to bringing them to spring training - and maybe even sending them to Rochester to start the season - and seeing what they have.
    The entire Orioles team is more or less dumpster diving and buying low. They have done a fantastic job of such this year.

True-- but the Orioles dine at gormet dumpsters!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    for a baseball junkie to come up with these for options is disheartening.
    Minor. League. Contracts.
    The disheartning part is that I would have expected a gem to be uncovered by you guys. Maybe I will have to wait until you guys talk about the Rule 5 draft..

The Twins can't have too many minor league contracts, there would be those complaining that the older playerr is blocking a prospect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12