Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Outside coaching options?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Outside coaching options?

Even if they bring up the whole Rochester crew, there will still be openings somewhere in the organization that need to be filled.

I'd love to see them at least interview Mike Redmond, Sandy Alomar, Ivan Rodriguez, and Mickey Hatcher.

Any other names that you'd like to see in the mix?

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Even if they bring up the whole Rochester crew, there will still be openings somewhere in the organization that need to be filled.

I'd love to see them at least interview Mike Redmond, Sandy Alomar, Ivan Rodriguez, and Mickey Hatcher.

Any other names that you'd like to see in the mix?
    I think you're on to something with Redmond - I expect him to be interviewed. I like Hatcher a little but I think Brunansky has the inside track on the hitting coach opening and I don't know what other role Hatcher might get.

The pattern is that guys who have Twins connections get the first crack in this organization. I bet Matt LeCroy will be considered.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know he doesn't have any connection with the organization, but Barry Bonds has shown interest in coaching, but the giants have tried to distance themselves from him and steroids. He may not be the nicest guy, but the guy knows every secret of the game. If we offered him a job as a hitting instructor is it possible he would jump at the chance? I mean how nice would it be for him to go around helping prospects for a few weeks at each level. He could help Hicks really figure it out or help Sano get to the next level.

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    I have thought about Chip Hale a time or two. He's already the bench coach for the A's, so it'd have to be s position that he'd be interested in with a shot to take over for Gardy.

I don't really know what kind of reputation he has as a coach, but he's coaching for a playoff team now and has a connection to the Twins.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Matt LeCroy seems fairly happy coaching by where he lives. Redmond would be great, but Cuellar will be the bullpen coach, until he moves into the pitching coach position. I'm surprised that Molitor isn't a shoo-on as bench coach. I doubt that Jake Mauer is ready to come to the big league roster...yet. Sometimes a total housecleaning would be so much easier. Gardy does need some input, as they largely report to him. I doubt that Gladden or Coomer would leave the media world behind.

Better yet, who do the Twins bring into Rochester.

And I sure wish Vavra and,Ullger were just minor league rovers.........
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do not know what roles the outside coaches will have. We will need to see how it shakes out this week. Vavra was lucky not to be fired as the Twins had major problbmes with situational hitting. The old Twins way moving the runner to third with one out, putting the bat on the ball when the other team is giving us a run. This was all sorely lacking this year. Either this speaks very badly of the twins players or the coaching staff does not do a good job with the lesser players.