Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Johnson

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    given that JJ could increase his trade value and be cheaper at the deadline. Personally, I'd be willing to overpay to get the guy this offseason, just because of the flexibility the Twins would have whether they win or lose.
    Given his health history, it's equally likely he has no value at the deadline.
    Equally as likely? Give me a god damn break. Does he have the potential to get injured? Sure, but not let's act like it is some forgone conclusion or anything even close to that:

Observe:

2009: 207 IP
    2010: 183.2 IP
    2011:60.1 IP
    2012:191.1 P

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    These two performed among the top 25 pitchers last year.

Pitchers the caliber of Johnson and Shields return top 50 prospects. That's Sano territory.
    no Sano is top 20 territory. A guy like Rosario is top 50 territory, also as recent history has shown us, teams are much less likely to trade top prospect these days.

Though Shields will command at least 2 very good prospects, Johnson may be a bit cheaper prospect wise.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    given that JJ could increase his trade value and be cheaper at the deadline. Personally, I'd be willing to overpay to get the guy this offseason, just because of the flexibility the Twins would have whether they win or lose.
    You're right there is injury risk, but maybe some due diligence would go along way to tipping the scales. (In any case, JJ has pitched at least 180IP three of four seasons*). In theory, it's a risk I'm willing to take given the payroll coming off the books, and the boom/bust nature of 2013. Again, I'd hold off trying to resign the guy until midseason or even offseason 2013.

*Dave beat me to the point /hattip

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Equally as likely? Give me a god damn break. Does he have the potential to get injured? Sure, but not let's act like it is some forgone conclusion or anything even close to that:

Observe:

Is JJ not getting all of his starts per year or is he a less than 6 innings a game pitcher? 32-34 starts a year should get the pitcher 220 innings?

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post

Observe:

Is JJ not getting all of his starts per year or is he a less than 6 innings a game pitcher? 32-34 starts a year should get the pitcher 220 innings?
    2010 he had 28 starts and 31 this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll go with the trade for shields. though I have no idea what it would take to get him. fun to speculate....Span, Rosario, and Burton maybe
    sign Joe Blanton to 2 year 18 million with 3rd year option and Baker to a 1 year 3-4 million with some incentives 1-3 million maybe and with a 1 year 8-10 option. Thats just over 20 million to fix the rotation. And the options give the Twins flexibilty to either save money on production or end the relationship before losses mount. These moves have the potential to help keep the rotation stable for the next 2-3 years.

Shields
    Blanton
    Baker
    Diamond
    Hendricks, Gibson, Deduno, and Devries and I guess Blackburn gets a glance in spring training too.

Thats a solid rotation with depth in case of injury or ineffectiveness.
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-09-2012 at 09:01 AM.

3 years of an above average lead-off hitter/good fielding CF, a top 100 prospect, and an incredibly cheap set-up man for 2 years of a good #2 starter sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

Observe:

You say he is an ace yet expect that he will sigh for number two money at a less than ideal contract length and money for him. You expect the Marlins to trade for him for a low level high ceiling prospect and throw ins. For the money that would still be about 15% of the payroll you would need a spot starter and a pitcher to get you through the seventh along with your set up man and closer. That sounds like a trade that will not happen, a signing that will not happen and a need for a very good bullpen.

Observe:

You say he is an ace yet expect that he will sigh for number two money at a less than ideal contract length and money for him. You expect the Marlins to trade for him for a low level high ceiling prospect and throw ins. For the money that would still be about 15% of the payroll you would need a spot starter and a pitcher to get you through the seventh along with your set up man and closer. That sounds like a trade that will not happen, a signing that will not happen and a need for a very good bullpen.
    He has Ace potential, but his injury issues (which sort of limits his true max dollar potential)

I'm not sure why he wouldn't think about taking a 4 year 75 mil extension, heck, even if you have to up it to 5/90 I think the Twins should do it. The guys getting 100 mil deals are the ones who have stayed healthy over the past 3-4 years.

He did make it 7+ IP in 13 of his starts last year, obviously you would want more than that but some of that could be him shaking off rust (he struggled early out of the gate)

The Marlins would trade him for a prospect package, look at what Greinke and other top pitchers brought back recently, teams aren't willing to give up a ton to get pitchers on one year contracts these days, Rosario is a top 50 prospect, and you can add in a couple other prospects as well (someone in the 8-10 range and someone in the 15-20 range) The Marlins would definitely consider pulling the trigger on that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Exactly. Like I said earlier, it took Hanley to get Josh Beckett moved. I would almost guarantee it takes Sano to get Johnson moved. The Marlins had huge reported offers this summer and didn't move him, so I doubt they'll move him without a big return.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    The twins are flush with outfielders, what do you expect to get in return for one of them that would be better than a number 2 starter? And how many number 2 starters are even on the planet? These decisions are not just about the specific people in one deal, but also what you have int the org.

Unhappy

[ Point is, starting pitching is more valuable on the market than outfielders.[/QUOTE]

What we need is a GM that would trade us a quality starting pitcher (and perhaps a solid shortstop) for a corner outfielder. But, alas, no such GM could ever exist...

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Trade Rosario crowd better stick around until 2015 to see if he is a MLB second baseman . . . if so . . . yikes, the Twins would have made yet another decisively stupid decision regarding their middle infield.

Anyway, Shields for Span, Swarzak, and Hermsen might get it done. And if you are willing to trade Span, then you should be willing to add those other two as well.

Revere is tradeable, but only if you are talking about adding a Berrios and Summers in there as well.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,503 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins can't trade away middle infielders with the potential to be better than replacement level. God knows we only see those guys about once every 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Exactly. Like I said earlier, it took Hanley to get Josh Beckett moved. I would almost guarantee it takes Sano to get Johnson moved. The Marlins had huge reported offers this summer and didn't move him, so I doubt they'll move him without a big return.
    That trade was several years ago, the way teams trade prospects has changed quite a bit, just look at the Grienke etc moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    The Trade Rosario crowd better stick around until 2015 to see if he is a MLB second baseman . . . if so . . . yikes, the Twins would have made yet another decisively stupid decision regarding their middle infield.

Anyway, Shields for Span, Swarzak, and Hermsen might get it done. And if you are willing to trade Span, then you should be willing to add those other two as well.

Revere is tradeable, but only if you are talking about adding a Berrios and Summers in there as well.
    Swarzak. Has. No. Value.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    These two performed among the top 25 pitchers last year.

Pitchers the caliber of Johnson and Shields return top 50 prospects. That's Sano territory.
    Thats what im saying. People on this board are like we can just give them Revere and Hendriks for Josh Johnson< That makes me laugh. The Marlins in no way will sell low on this guy. Odds are they will want some young stud pitcher in the minors in return....we dont have that. Shields would require Span and a top prospect.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    It took Gomez and Humber to get Johan...

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    DING DING DING! And Johan had a long term contract in place before they accepted the trade AND Johan was the best pitcher in all of baseball.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Dont remind me....only the twins....

dont remind me...only the twins....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast