Thread: Article: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 357 Times in 203 Posts
    First, I don't consider the coaching changes to be particularly bold. I've felt -- and said -- for some time that they needed to be "bleeding in" new talent in the coaching ranks. And it's just now occurring to them that they need a Spanish-speaking coach? There have been cries for that around for a number of years. I consider the moves they made to be too little, too late. A couple of scapegoats and very little real change. (Yes, that may change next season but all they are doing is prolonging the bleeding).

2. Why is it that we haven't seen any front office changes except McWane? Bill Smith did not make his decisions in a vacuum. In fact, he probably relied on the opinions and evaluations of his subordinates much more than Terry Ryan does. The lack of front office turnover leads me to see the coaching staff as scapegoats for the failure of this organization. (Not that the coaching staff is blameless but WHY hasn't anyone other than Bill Smith been called to account for what they had to work with -- oh, and surprise me but Bill Smith still has a job with the club whereas Stelmazek and Jerry White don't).

3. Players -- I assume one of the bold moves you are looking for is spending some bucks on the free agent market. They've got the bucks to do so. The other moves would, of course, be trades. I'm not convinced that they know how to make trades anymore (other than piddling around). But yes, I'm looking for some pretty darn BOLD moves in the player arena -- they have to have the WILL (and ability) to make them and I'm not convinced that they do.

4. I want some evidence that they GET that they weren't all that good even before the last 2 seasons. They were above-average but they were definitely not top 30%.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I woul say they were top 30%. They were in the playoffs most years, even considered a model organization on how to succeed with a low payroll.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    JB, for an organization that's made exactly one minor coaching change in the past decade, making three of them at once is pretty bold. It's all relative, I guess. The need for a Spanish speaking coach has indeed been clear for a long time and you're right, a lot of us have pointed that out frequently. I'd prefer it be someone other than the bullpen coach, but any progress is welcome on that front by the Latin American players, I'm sure. I'm also not real sure what changes have been made in the front office. My suspicion is that, while few if any people outright lost their jobs the way White, et al, have, there's been a bit of a difference in terms of who actually has influence and decision-making authority. Smith's responsibilities appear to be related to things like dealing with minor league affiliate relationships and representing the Twins with regard to renovating their Spring Training site, for example.

I'd like to see some bold moves on the free agent market, but honestly I don't much care if the moves come from there or from the trade market. If Ryan feels free to trade from organizational strength to fill its weaknesses and can do so, that's actually better than doing it via free agency because there's no commodity more overpriced on the free agent market than top of the rotation starting pitching.

With 5 out of 15 teams in each league qualifying for the playoffs going forward, being top 33% will get you there. Whether the Twins were actually at that level every year of the decade prior to the past two years or not is certainly debatable. I'm just not that concerned about that debate at this point. I don't expect the Twins to jump from 96 losses to being an elite team in one season. Regardless of how the team got in to the situation it's in now, we need to see progress going forward and some indication that the FO is serious about making that progress.

I've commented in the past that it's been hard at times to even feel like the front office has noticed that things are as bad as they are. I'm willing to say last week's moves indicate they've noticed. However, the moves made over the coming months will be far more indicative of whether we can believe there's a commitment to doing something about the situation.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm waiting for something to be done with the medical staff. I'm guessing the guy in charge there should be let go, and they should bring in someone from another organization... like Tampa Bay.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 773 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'm waiting for something to be done with the medical staff. I'm guessing the guy in charge there should be let go, and they should bring in someone from another organization... like Tampa Bay.
    The head trainer was let go.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Remember too, that there are a lot of people in the "front office" and the scouting department, most of whom you've never heard of, and most of whom will not have their employment status announced at a press conference. Just because they haven't announced big changes in the front office, doesn't mean they haven't happened.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    The head trainer was let go.
    Then I am very happy. Not sure the entire staff needed to go, but someone at the top needed to be held accountable.