Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May as well expand it - Minnesota Twins fire or reassign all but one coach

May as well expand it - Minnesota Twins fire or reassign all but one coach

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...coaching-staff

I disagree with both the Stelmaszek and White moves, but anything that gets Ullger and Vavra further away from the on field team is ok by me.

It does make one wonder if Gardy is on thin ice...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ofx1 View Post
    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...coaching-staff

I disagree with both the Stelmaszek and White moves, but anything that gets Ullger and Vavra further away from the on field team is ok by me.

It does make one wonder if Gardy is on thin ice...
    I do believe Gardy is on thin ice going into next season. All those coaches contracts expired. Gardy and Anderson have one year left. I have to believe if TR goes out and gets two decent pitchers and nothing changes next year both will be gone. Im really excited about Bruno coming up, Parmelee and Plouffe played well for him, and maybe he can get Morneau and Mauer to hit a couple more over the fence. Exciting first day for the Twins offseason. Hopefully theres some more moves coming (player wise).

I do wonder if the front office wouldn't mind Gardy stepping down. Today proved that his opinion really didn't matter anymore and there's a strong chance that possibly three members of the coaching staff could step in and replace him.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Seems crazy that Anderson still has a job when you consider how you lousy the pitching has been the last couple of years. He would have been the first to go if I was making the decisions. He doesn't make enough for one year's salary to make that big of difference.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not against the changes, however I thought Rick Anderson was as big of problem as the rest of them.

The Twins had fired one coach (Al Newmon) during Gardy's tenure, if this doesn't shout, THIN ICE, I don't know what does

It's crazy if they don't improve the starting rotation. If they can bring in two quality starters than let's see what Anderson does next season.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at what Anderson has had to work with, I can't be too critical of what he has done. That said, there has to be some price to pay for terrible results the last two years. While I don't blame any coach for the poor results, the results produced on the field are unacceptable and something needs to be changed.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Ryan, Gardenhire, and Anderson deserved more scrutiny than any of those guys.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Ryan, Gardenhire, and Anderson deserved more scrutiny than any of those guys.
    You are 100% Correct, Gardy should be held accountable for most of it. Anderson with all honesty hasnt had much to work with pitching wise, but he should be canned as well.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As pointed out by Aaron Gleeman in his blog post tonight, the Twins website is listing Ullger's and Vavra's responsibilities as MINOR LEAGUE instructors. If true, that's a bit of a different story than what the local media has been reporting and would leave only Gardy and Andy as holdovers for the Twins field management staff.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/team/...s.jsp?c_id=min
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well there it is... New coaches... New voices will be coming in... Lets add some new pitchers to the list and hopefully 2013 will be better.

Don't know what to expect next year but I do hope... At the very least... To see some hard slides into 2nd base. Pitching inside on occasion... A catcher train tracked every once in awhile. I'd even like to see some head first Punto slides into 1st base. Diving catches and players going for the extra base. Maybe an occasional dugout clearing over reaction to a funny look given by the opposing team. Haven't seen a bunch of that kinda stuff the last few years. If we lose... Lets lose running into walls. If we win... Lets win running into walls.

I'm not surprised but its still kinda strange. More firings today than the decade total.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder how this will affect team morale next year.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Media reports of the relationships between players and coaches having gone "stale" and players tuning out the same old voices wouldn't surprise me. In fact there have been hints of that already in recent days. Honestly, though, if morale is bad I would hope it's because players are pissed about back to back 99 and 96 loss seasons, not because the familiar coaches are gone.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    As pointed out by Aaron Gleeman in his blog post tonight, the Twins website is listing Ullger's and Vavra's responsibilities as MINOR LEAGUE instructors. If true, that's a bit of a different story than what the local media has been reporting and would leave only Gardy and Andy as holdovers for the Twins field management staff.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/team/...s.jsp?c_id=min
    I assumed they meant minor league instructors, as they really don't have major league instructors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
    Shocking, the field leaders, Gardenhire and Anderson along with the front office leaders, Ryan, Rantz and Krivsky decide to fire their underlings. This is a cop out on a grand scale, it is simply a last ditch effort to keep as much of the old boys club together as possible. There had to be some scapegoats so obviously it had to be the firstbase coach and the guy who answers the phone in the bullpen. Shame on Stelmaszek and White for failing to identify and cultivate capable pitchers to complete a major league rotation.

I've been disappointed in decisions Ryan has made in the past in regards to free agents and missing out on trades, but my feeling now is disgust. Had the entire coaching staff been let go, or any combination pf coaches including Anderson been let go, the mass firing would have seem like a step in a new direction. Rick Anderson has been a great Twin and it sounds like even a finer human being, but fair or not, this club's failure comes under his pervue, he needed to go to make this look like anything more than the farce it is.

The only reason why I don't mind Anderson sticking around is that I think a large portion of the problem is not his fault. It's obvious from the way that we draft that the pitch-to-contact obsession is part of the organizational plan. Do we really want Blackburn, Slowey, Hendrix, etc, to go up there and try to blow away hitters? It's not possible. Once at the major league level, everyone we have is an obvious pitch-to-contact guy, what's Anderson supposed to do?

It's like he's stuck between baseball and a hard place, or somethin...

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
    what's Anderson supposed to do?
    Well, first off he's not supposed to try to fit every pitcher into the same mold. Deduno this season is really the first that was allowed to pitch his own way. Not everyone can throw a sinking fastball.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We knew Vavra was gone. Ryan did an interview not to long ago saying Bruno was a MLB coach. With all the young kids on the way up, it makes sense.I just don't know if i'm keen on Vavra instructing anyone in the organization. Stelmasek i think is kind of a symbolic move. Lets the team know no one is safe. I honestly think Anderson should go as well. I just dont think he has developed young pitchers like he should.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Shocking, the field leaders, Gardenhire and Anderson along with the front office leaders, Ryan, Rantz and Krivsky decide to fire their underlings. This is a cop out on a grand scale, it is simply a last ditch effort to keep as much of the old boys club together as possible. There had to be some scapegoats so obviously it had to be the firstbase coach and the guy who answers the phone in the bullpen. Shame on Stelmaszek and White for failing to identify and cultivate capable pitchers to complete a major league rotation.

I've been disappointed in decisions Ryan has made in the past in regards to free agents and missing out on trades, but my feeling now is disgust. Had the entire coaching staff been let go, or any combination pf coaches including Anderson been let go, the mass firing would have seem like a step in a new direction. Rick Anderson has been a great Twin and it sounds like even a finer human being, but fair or not, this club's failure comes under his pervue, he needed to go to make this look like anything more than the farce it is.
    I completely disagree, I don't think anyone who was let go yesterday is being made a scapegoat by the organization. To me, it seems as if Terry Ryan felt the MLB Clubhouse needed some fresh perspective and to make that happen some contracts were not renewed. There are some very capable replacements within the organization that need to be advanced which opens the door to bring in more fresh perspective to the minor league system. No one on this staff should be shocked by this, it's not so much that any of them failed as it is that the product on the field was terrible and some change was necessary.

I have no problem with Gardy and Andy getting one last chance with a new supporting cast. Maybe these coaching changes and a few shrewd acquisitions will put this team back into contention in 2013. It's not out of the realm of possibility, Oakland and Baltimore both had very successful seasons in more difficult divisions with no more talent than the Twins. If not, they're probably both out on their asses by midseason.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    if they are bad coaches that need replacing, and your strategy is to build through the minors, why send them to teach minor league players how to play? What an awful understanding of strategy and use of resources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast