Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: BA's Top 20 by League

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

BA's Top 20 by League

Based on Hot Sheet appearances, the Twins system would rank #19, which will probably be very close to where they'll rank when they do their system rankings.

Guys that show up on Top 20's:

International League
    5. Chris Parmelee, 1B

Eastern League
    6. Oswaldo Arcia, RF
    8. Aaron Hicks, CF

Florida State League
    7. Oswaldo Arcia, RF

Midwest League
    2. Miguel Sano, 3B
    12. Eddie Rosario, 2B/CF

Appy League
    1. Byron Buxton, CF
    7. Max Kepler, LF

Gulf Coast League
    1. Byron Buxton, CF

The lack of pitchers is disconcerting. Berrios aside who didn't make it for whatever reason is the only guy really worthy.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

Eastern League
    6. Oswaldo Arcia, RF

Florida State League
    7. Oswaldo Arcia, RF

Just this, is an great example for the reasons I do not care about BA.
    You cannot rank the same guy 6th best in a AA league and 7th best in a high A league. Just ridiculous...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not much pitching.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    You cannot rank the same guy 6th best in a AA league and 7th best in a high A league. Just ridiculous...
    To which I ask... Why the hell not?

There are 5 higher-rated prospects in the Eastern League and 6 higher-rated prospects in the FSL.

Or are we going with the theory that the best prospects are at the higher level...? Because then this discussion just got a lot more ridiculous.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Not much pitching.
    Berrios would have ranked in both the GCL and Appy League had he qualified. But you're right... no pitching.

Eastern League
    6. Oswaldo Arcia, RF

Florida State League
    7. Oswaldo Arcia, RF

Since you obviously couldn't figure it out, let me give you a scenario. Jurickson Profar, the #1 prospect in baseball plays in the Eastern League and is ranked #1 in the Eastern League with Dylan Bundy #2. Profar skips to the majors, or goes to the PCL. Dylan is then gets promoted to the International League where he is now the #1 prospect in the International League, while being the #2 prospect in the Eastern League.

This is just a scenario, but it is how it works.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To which I ask... Why the hell not?

There are 5 higher-rated prospects in the Eastern League and 6 higher-rated prospects in the FSL.

Or are we going with the theory that the best prospects are at the higher level...? Because then this discussion just got a lot more ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Eastern League
    6. Oswaldo Arcia, RF

Florida State League
    7. Oswaldo Arcia, RF

Since you obviously couldn't figure it out, let me give you a scenario. Jurickson Profar, the #1 prospect in baseball plays in the Eastern League and is ranked #1 in the Eastern League with Dylan Bundy #2. Profar skips to the majors, or goes to the PCL. Dylan is then gets promoted to the International League where he is now the #1 prospect in the International League, while being the #2 prospect in the Eastern League.

This is just a scenario, but it is how it works.
    Well... my objection is that:

if a player did better (objectively) in a higher league, there is no way he should be ranked lower in a lower league. Arcia proved himself in AA. More than half of those who are ranked ahead of him at high A did not...
    BA is all about the nephelious concept of "potential" while turning their back to actual performance. I'd love to see what those guys who were ranked ahead of him in high A do in AA for starters...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts

Well... my objection is that:

if a player did better (objectively) in a higher league, there is no way he should be ranked lower in a lower league. Arcia proved himself in AA. More than half of those who are ranked ahead of him at high A did not...
    BA is all about the nephelious concept of "potential" while turning their back to actual performance. I'd love to see what those guys who were ranked ahead of him in high A do in AA for starters...
    There are things to question and complain about and then there are things like this. You haven't even seen the prospects on both lists that ranked ahead of Arcia yet you object.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Not much pitching.
    Don't you me absolutely no pitching would be just a little more accurate.

Eastern League
    6. Oswaldo Arcia, RF

Florida State League
    7. Oswaldo Arcia, RF

seriously? there couldn't be better prospects in high-A than 2-A one year? i think your gripe is missing any and all nuance with the process - a process b.a. is pretty clear about. they talk to a lot of scouts and managers within a league and have generally laid eyeballs on the players for the leagues they're covering. what they're doing is taking the consensus. is it possible that ten people watching arcia while he was with n.b. thought more highly than ten others who saw him playing at ft. myers? considering he hit better at 2-A, i would say that's likely, not just possible. b.a. is the best by miles.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the fact that the Twins have had such a dearth of good pitching and having healthy pitching prospects in their system over the last few years, it is easy for rankers to kinda unconsciously give them the heave-ho when deciding who to rank.

Senior Member All-Star
    Based on Hot Sheet appearances, the Twins system would rank #19, which will probably be very close to where they'll rank when they do their system rankings.
    I never responded to this but I don't think the Twins will rank anywhere near #19. The twins were 20th last year and there were several players that had great seasons while they only had a few disappointments and graduations. they also added Buxton and Berrios to the system. I think they will fall just outside of the top ten. tbh they even have a chance to crack the top 10. this is a pretty strong farm system even if there isn't a lot of pitching.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I never responded to this but I don't think the Twins will rank anywhere near #19. The twins were 20th last year and there were several players that had great seasons while they only had a few disappointments and graduations. they also added Buxton and Berrios to the system. I think they will fall just outside of the top ten. tbh they even have a chance to crack the top 10. this is a pretty strong farm system even if there isn't a lot of pitching.
    Top Ten? A pretty strong farm system? Seriously?

While I am, like most of us, excited about certain guys down at A-/Rk level (where the flame-out rate is very high), who is major league-impact-ready in the next two years besides Arcia and Hicks (Sano and possibly Rosario are probably 2015 at earliest)? I can't find anybody on the roster at AAA (they don't even consider their lights-out reliever worthy of a call-up). Ft Myers was woeful (you could flat out cut about 20 guys there and you wouldn't know the difference), besides Chris Herrman, there are a couple of starting pitchers at AA who might become back-end major leaguers and that's about it. The two MIs brought up this season were acquired this season and they didn't exactly set the world on fire, what does that say about the rest? This is anything but a "pretty strong farm system".
    Last edited by jokin; 10-09-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Fortunately systems are deeper than AA/AAA ball. Overall the Twins have 2 guys that will probably be in top 25 lists, 5 that will probably be in the top 75 and several others like Kepler, Berrios, Gibson, Polanco, Harrison and Goodrum to give the system pretty good depth. It's still a bottom heavy system but there is a lot of talent in this system.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I've think we've discussed this on other threads - and disagreed. The Twins are a few years away from being a Top 10 system... I put them in the 14-18 range and I would be more surprised to see them ranked higher than that than lower than that.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Twins will be in the top 12 in many publications next year. They added back a healthy Gibson, Berrios, Buxton and guys like Hicks, Rosario and Arcia all took steps forward. Plus they have a few guys sneaking up the charts like Kepler, Jones etc.

Kab is right, they didn't really have anyone fall off the map and the only guys who graduated weren't really top 10 guys anyways (Parmelee was close though)

Senior Member All-Star

I've think we've discussed this on other threads - and disagreed. The Twins are a few years away from being a Top 10 system... I put them in the 14-18 range and I would be more surprised to see them ranked higher than that than lower than that.
    So you're saying that the Twins system is only a little better than last year?