Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Stelmaszek fired

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rick Stelmaszek fired

The Star Tribune is reporting that bullpen coach Rich Stelmaszek has been let go.

I knew there would be shake-ups, but I'm a little surprised at this. The bullpen wasn't really the problem this year.

My guess is this signals a fairly substantial overhaul on the coaching staff.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 10-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.

How deep will this overhaul go?
    Wayne "Big Fella" Hattaway???
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 97 Posts
    Fired? Wasn't his contract up anyway?

I think it would be more accurate to say he won't be brought back. He's close to retiring anyway - isn't he about 120 years old?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Fired? Wasn't his contract up anyway?

I think it would be more accurate to say he won't be brought back. He's close to retiring anyway - isn't he about 120 years old?
    When I made the thread title, I was "quoting" the Star Tribune headline, which used the word fired. In retrospect you are correct, but I don't know how to edit a thread title.

The end result is the same, though. If you read the Strib article, it sure doesn't sound like this was a voluntary retirement.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also gaffed in the title of my last submission. Why can't submitters edit titles?

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    My hit list includes Rick McWane- Head Athletic Trainer, Tucker Lanning- Rehab Coordinator, Ron Gardenhire- Manager, Rick Anderson- pitching coach, Eric Rasmussen- Pitching Coordinator. None of these guys will end up getting fired, but all should be seriously asked about their role in this cluster ****.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    It will make the press conference more interesting!

Liked 1,189 Times in 694 Posts
    Or not ... we could just see a couple of token changes.

Quote Originally Posted by twins fan from afar View Post
    how deep will this overhaul go?
    Wayne "big fella" hattaway???

p.o.d.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    This is unbelievable. This move is step 1 to a world championship.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Or not ... we could just see a couple of token changes.
    Token changes? Did YOU have any idea that Stelly's job was on the chopping block? This seems to me like the start of a coaching overhaul the size of which I myself haven't seen in my tender years as a Twins fan.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    It would seem you start at the top work your way down. If this is the top down move then Hattaway indeed could be next.

The bullpen coach probably has the least impact of any coach. His basic job is to answer the phone, get the right guy up to warm up and tell the pitching coach when he's ready. Now is it possible that Stelly has bad phone skills, possible, or is it possible he didn't keep enough sunflower seeds on hand, seems more likely.
    Last edited by Winston Smith; 10-04-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Tom Powers of the Pioneer Press believes the Glynn, Brunansky and Cuellar from Rochester will be promoted to the Twins' staff. In order to promote them they need to make room. With Stelly's dismissal and Liddle's rumored retirement they already have spots for Cuellar and Glynn. Now they just have to make room for Brunansky. Powers feels that Brunansky will replace Vavra as the hitting coach, but Vavra will remain with the organization in some capacity.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Tom Powers of the Pioneer Press believes the Glynn, Brunansky and Cuellar from Rochester will be promoted to the Twins' staff. In order to promote them they need to make room. With Stelly's dismissal and Liddle's rumored retirement they already have spots for Cuellar and Glynn. Now they just have to make room for Brunansky. Powers feels that Brunansky will replace Vavra as the hitting coach, but Vavra will remain with the organization in some capacity.
    This makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Did YOU have any idea that Stelly's job was on the chopping block? This seems to me like the start of a coaching overhaul the size of which I myself haven't seen in my tender years as a Twins fan.
    No, I did not see this coming. And it seems an odd place to start to me.

But I also remember last year when we had the 2 firings in Rochester (and the promotions of Glynn & Brunansky) and nothing else (until Bill Smith wanted to go on spending money & Pohlad said no). So I have a hard time drawing any conclusions from what we've seen so far.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    I like this line of thinking, having Cuellar helping out the pitchers as well should be awesome, ideally in 2013 he is able to work closely with Gibson, Hendriks and the other guys he has had in AAA recently. It wouldn't shock me if they are grooming him to take over for Anderson in a couple years.

Brunansky as the hitting coach is a nice breath of fresh air as well, though I do hope they keep Vavra around in some capacity. As far as a bench coach goes, I almost wish they would wait a bit to see what managers get fired in the coming days, if someone like a Ron Washington gets canned I would love to bring him or Ozzie in.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like they're going to use 2013 as a transition year.

Vavra re-assigned, Liddle let go as of a few mins ago, says KFAN

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not really a big deal is it??? He's a bullpen coach and the pitching coach still works with ALL pitchers so not exactly the sole reason the bullpen was improved...after all it sucked last yr and the same guy was there. I have no problem with these moves and I'm sure more will come. I would like to see Bruno as the hitting coach also and Glynn and Cuellar work as well if that's what they do. What isn't happening is Gardy getting fired so get over it.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jim Souhan@SouhanStribI've heard Brunansky new hit coach,Gene Glynn 3b coach, Bobby Cuellar new BP coach. Paul Molitor should be on staff, but not sure will be
    Retweeted

Blog Entries
    What I find interesting is they didn't even wait until the organizational meetings started. This has obviously been in the works for some time now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast