Thread: Article: Twins Defensive Player of the Year: Denard Span

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Defensive Player of the Year: Denard Span

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good article and thanks for the summation. Carroll's numbers do surprise me.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice analysis. I've thought all season that Span wasn't getting the credit he deserved defensively (and Carroll too, for that matter). I remember about the time of the all-star game roster selection Gardy was quoted as saying (and I paraphrase) that Span was playing as well as anyone on the team. It was widely scoffed at but I had no difficulty believing it.

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    span is now afraid of the wall, afraid to dive for a catch (no, i don't consider sliding on his butt a dive), has no where near the range of revere......... i just don't see it. so many balls he let drop in front of him when an aggressive jump and a dive would have been a catch. i would give it to revere......... who sans arm to consider (and he led the team outfielders in assists if you can believe that), would get those balls span was afraid to go for. i am reminded of the quote often attributed to mark twain, but twain himself attributed it to the 19th-century british prime minister benjamin disraeli (1804–1881): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    span is now afraid of the wall, afraid to dive for a catch (no, i don't consider sliding on his butt a dive), has no where near the range of revere......... i just don't see it. so many balls he let drop in front of him when an aggressive jump and a dive would have been a catch. i would give it to revere......... who sans arm to consider (and he led the team outfielders in assists if you can believe that), would get those balls span was afraid to go for. i am reminded of the quote often attributed to mark twain, but twain himself attributed it to the 19th-century british prime minister benjamin disraeli (1804–1881): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
    I would agree that his days in CF should probably be numbered and Revere should take over that position, but Span still has the ability to contribute nicely in LF or RF.

I would also stop short of saying Span is afraid. It wouldn't surprise me if his concussion injury was still on his mind somewhat and that was affecting his wall play slightly, but as far as diving I would point out that it only makes the highlight reel when it works. When it doesn't and the ball gets behind you it will turn a single into a double or triple. I would prefer an outfielder who concentrated on keeping the ball in front of them, making the catch when possible but not gambling an extra base hit.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great article! It would be nice if we could keep Span AND add pitching. I would be for keeping Casilla too, but I'm probably the only one. Carroll at SS and Casilla at 2b with Escobar as the utility guy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    span is now afraid of the wall, afraid to dive for a catch (no, i don't consider sliding on his butt a dive), has no where near the range of revere......... i just don't see it. so many balls he let drop in front of him when an aggressive jump and a dive would have been a catch. i would give it to revere......... who sans arm to consider (and he led the team outfielders in assists if you can believe that), would get those balls span was afraid to go for. i am reminded of the quote often attributed to mark twain, but twain himself attributed it to the 19th-century british prime minister benjamin disraeli (1804Ė1881): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
    I would agree that his days in CF should probably be numbered and Revere should take over that position, but Span still has the ability to contribute nicely in LF or RF.

I would also stop short of saying Span is afraid. It wouldn't surprise me if his concussion injury was still on his mind somewhat and that was affecting his wall play slightly, but as far as diving I would point out that it only makes the highlight reel when it works. When it doesn't and the ball gets behind you it will turn a single into a double or triple. I would prefer an outfielder who concentrated on keeping the ball in front of them, making the catch when possible but not gambling an extra base hit.
    please don't get me wrong......... as i like span, and i agree that he brings a lot to the plate, and would be a more valuable corner outfielder. revere has his problems too......... and they both don't bring any outfielder consistent power. (oh, i forgot to say that span is even afraid to be still and close his eyes in the nmr tunnel) in regards to the "highlight reel" you refer to.......... there is a time to go for it, and a time to not. with the game on the line, and if you let the ball drop it still scores the go ahead or winning run(s)....... then you MUST take the dive. that is being a true team player. if it makes a highlight reel.... so be it. that is not the reason players try to make those catches with every sacrifice they can. with a 5 run lead........ play it safe and let the two runs score........... no doubt his concussion residue has created the fear, and i understand that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    span is now afraid of the wall, afraid to dive for a catch (no, i don't consider sliding on his butt a dive), has no where near the range of revere......... i just don't see it. so many balls he let drop in front of him when an aggressive jump and a dive would have been a catch. i would give it to revere......... who sans arm to consider (and he led the team outfielders in assists if you can believe that), would get those balls span was afraid to go for. i am reminded of the quote often attributed to mark twain, but twain himself attributed it to the 19th-century british prime minister benjamin disraeli (1804Ė1881): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
    Umm... A little perspective. Spans 2.4 dWAR was tied for 6th for all players in all of baseball. Do we really think he is not the best CF on this team?

Blog Entries
    very probably..... not for long.............. however you may think.

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given Revere's much higher zone rating, it follows that he would have put up better quantity-driven numbers (dWAR, DRS) than Span if given the bulk of playing time in CF as opposed to RF.