Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Joe Mauer finishes shy of batting title quest

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    mauer's percentage of catching runners stealing has really plummeted this year. because of his lack of enough games played at catcher - if you go to the stats from the mlb homepage and isolate catchers, you won't find him included, as he doesn't qualify............. i found it on his individual stats ...... he is only 9-65 this year .............. 13.8%. not very scary anymore to runners. they are really taking advantage, too. they did the damage this year in only 76 games! (2007 24-45 53.3%, 2008 29-80 36.3%, 2009 19-73 26%, 2010 19-72 26.4%, 2011 (with the mysterious bi-lateral leg weakness) 12-40 30%, 2012 (healthy?) 9-65 13.8%).
    How does this translate to the pitcher's he caught. I think you have to factor in how the pitcher's hold runners to get a truer picture his CS % (and all catchers for that matter). For instance, catching for Mark Buerhle every fifth day would could make a poor catcher look capable.
    certainly a pitcher with a bad move can be a part of this. i just presented the stat. it is what it is. "lies, damn lies, and statistics". you can truly spin stats however you like. maybe it is nothing to note at all.

Liked 1,162 Times in 683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    It was before my time, but did Twins fans in the 70's whine about Rod Carew because he didn't hit for power?

Well it was pre-internet so whining couldn't take on the same intensity. And frankly, I just remember being awed by Carew's consistency at the plate. But he was also a totally different body type than Mauer and he was a table setter plus speedy on the basepaths.

The puzzle for me is why Mauer doesn't hit with more power (not just HR but extra base hits).

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i don't remember any expectations from rod carew for power. carew was not a big guy. about 6 foot but only weighed about 170 during his playing career. (killebrew same height, but about 195-200 lbs) .........no where near 6'5" and 230-240 lbs. i never see discussions and the exchange of ideas as whining myself, so i don't see any here either.

What happened to the doubles this season? I thought with less time behind the plate he'd hit around 40 and he only ended up with 31.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    What happened to the doubles this season? I thought with less time behind the plate he'd hit around 40 and he only ended up with 31.
    Too many balls on the ground was part of it.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    mauer's percentage of catching runners stealing has really plummeted this year. because of his lack of enough games played at catcher - if you go to the stats from the mlb homepage and isolate catchers, you won't find him included, as he doesn't qualify............. i found it on his individual stats ...... he is only 9-65 this year .............. 13.8%. not very scary anymore to runners. they are really taking advantage, too. they did the damage this year in only 76 games! (2007 24-45 53.3%, 2008 29-80 36.3%, 2009 19-73 26%, 2010 19-72 26.4%, 2011 (with the mysterious bi-lateral leg weakness) 12-40 30%, 2012 (healthy?) 9-65 13.8%).
    How does this translate to the pitcher's he caught. I think you have to factor in how the pitcher's hold runners to get a truer picture his CS % (and all catchers for that matter). For instance, catching for Mark Buerhle every fifth day would could make a poor catcher look capable.
    certainly a pitcher with a bad move can be a part of this. i just presented the stat. it is what it is. "lies, damn lies, and statistics". you can truly spin stats however you like. maybe it is nothing to note at all.
    I'm not knocking you for that. I would seriously be interested to know if there has been a study done to see how CS% can be effected by a pitcher's ability to hold a runner on. Their average pitch time to the plate, RH vs LH pitchers. I'm not sure what metrics you could use, but it would be interesting to see a comparison of true CS%.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12