Thread: Twins Press Conference Friday

Twins Press Conference Friday

Any predictions?

Here's what will happen. Terry Ryan will say that the organization is very disappointed at how the season went. Part of it has to do with injuries and part of it has to do with young players not being ready for the Major League level. As for any staff changes, Steve Liddle will be retiring and they will replace him with someone from within the organization. No other changes will be made to the coaching staff.

As for next season, they hope to acquire some more pitching. They won't go after any high level pitching, but hope to strike it rich by gambling on past their prime veterans or pitchers who consistently put up 4.50 ERA numbers in the National League. The also won't trade any of their prized prospects because they don't want to jeopardize the future.

All of this is blah, blah, blah to me and this is why I will not renew my Season Tickets. I've heard the same song so long that I'm sick of it. "Can't jeopardize the future." This really gets me. The Twins must think that each high level prospect will amount to an All Star. "Can't go after high priced free agents." Why not? Money talks. You can't assume every high priced free agent will go to a major market team.

I just don't have any faith that any major changes in philosophy will be made anytime soon.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fittdogg View Post
    Any predictions?

Here's what will happen. Terry Ryan will say that the organization is very disappointed at how the season went. Part of it has to do with injuries and part of it has to do with young players not being ready for the Major League level. As for any staff changes, Steve Liddle will be retiring and they will replace him with someone from within the organization. No other changes will be made to the coaching staff.

As for next season, they hope to acquire some more pitching. They won't go after any high level pitching, but hope to strike it rich by gambling on past their prime veterans or pitchers who consistently put up 4.50 ERA numbers in the National League. The also won't trade any of their prized prospects because they don't want to jeopardize the future.

All of this is blah, blah, blah to me and this is why I will not renew my Season Tickets. I've heard the same song so long that I'm sick of it. "Can't jeopardize the future." This really gets me. The Twins must think that each high level prospect will amount to an All Star. "Can't go after high priced free agents." Why not? Money talks. You can't assume every high priced free agent will go to a major market team.

I just don't have any faith that any major changes in philosophy will be made anytime soon.
    I assume you won't be tuning in then?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 328 Posts

The Twins must think that each high level prospect will amount to an All Star. "Can't go after high priced free agents." Why not? Money talks. You can't assume every high priced free agent will go to a major market team.

Somebody better tell that to Oakland, Baltimore, Washington, Atlanta, Cincinnati, all of whom have lower payrolls than the Twins. All that damn fiscal responsibility got them was playoff spots.

Those teams are not perennial playoff teams with the exception of Atlanta, who does spend a fair amount on payroll. There is also having success in the playoffs, not just winning a weak division and losing out in the first round each year. I'm not saying you need to spend like the Yankees or Red Sox. My point is that trading a high level prospect or going after a high level free agent should not be ruled out year after year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All of the above clubs start with good to great starting pitching. This is why no club wants to face Oakland in the playoffs. Twins need to amass pitching and more pitching.
    Far as my guess on the new conference, Twins will annouce some coaching changes (1-2) unless Gardy violetly disagrees and resigns. Do not believe TR will discuss next year's budget at this time, but expect around 90 -95 mil or more if the owners want to have many season ticket holders renew. My guess is what some WOW factor, the season ticket base will be down to around 20,000 a game, maybe less.
    As far as trading prime prospects, probably not, but it would not surprise me to see Parmalee send in a deal for pitching to a cost concious team(Tampa Bay after they lose Upton, or Seattle)

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that Pohlad will thank Terry Ryan, Jim Rantz and Ron Gardenhire & Co for their "tremendous" contributions to the Twins and say that this team needs a fresh start. All 3 will have statues made. Day and Place of display TBD.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

thrylos98-- the chances of your prediction occurring is far greater than Pohlad thanking the trio and saying it's time to move in another direction and giving them pink slips! Even to one.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Any predictions?

Dude, calm down. You must have forgotten the past decade when we were in the playoffs damn near every year. All you can ask for is a chance to play in the playoffs and see what happens. We had good enough teams to compete with the Yankees and the Red Sox (who have shown how spending so much money is not ALWAYS good), we just did not. I agree with not trading away top level prospects, and so should you. Why trade away farm players in an off-season, when you could go into the next season and STILL be a 90 loss team.

Dude, calm down. You must have forgotten the past decade when we were in the playoffs damn near every year. All you can ask for is a chance to play in the playoffs and see what happens. We had good enough teams to compete with the Yankees and the Red Sox (who have shown how spending so much money is not ALWAYS good), we just did not. I agree with not trading away top level prospects, and so should you. Why trade away farm players in an off-season, when you could go into the next season and STILL be a 90 loss team.
    The Twins are 1-6 in those playoff series. The only team that you can say that the Twins were favored was in 2006 against Oakland. The rest was a dream to think we could beat the Yankees when you compare the starting pitching staffs. There's no way you can suggest that Pavano and Blackburn are better than the likes of Sabathia and Pettitte.

If the Twins would have shopped a prospect or two for a front of the rotation starting pitcher, who knows, maybe we would have had better success in the playoffs. If you look at top prospects in the last 10 years, only Mauer has made the All Star team.

Again, I'm not saying trade every prospect. Just a change in the thought process when it comes to prospects and free agency would be welcomed. But I the impression that I get is that any potential changes will be minuscule.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins didn't want to trade prospects to boost their playoff teams by going after a guy like Cliff Lee or other starters because they wanted to protect the future. Well, we're in the future now, and it isn't pretty. I'd much rather have put the chips on the table and tried to advance past the first round and suck these past 2 and next three years because of it. They risked nothing and got nothing in return and here we are.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think that Pohlad will thank Terry Ryan, Jim Rantz and Ron Gardenhire & Co for their "tremendous" contributions to the Twins and say that this team needs a fresh start. All 3 will have statues made. Day and Place of display TBD.
    What do you think would make a better statue, hat-toss Gardy or hang-dog dugout railing Gardy?

But seriously... they'll announce they're firing AAA coach Gene Glynn. He just didn't have the kids ready when they were needed.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its not really fair to compare payrolls at this juncture to Oakland, Atlanta, the Nats, etc. They have drafted more smartly, and made smarter trades. Eg. the Rangers lost Lee to free agency so what do they do? Make a $100m run at Darvish who looks like he was one of the steals of last offseason. The O's brought in or extended premium talent at premium positions (Center field, SS, catcher). They spent Nishi-money on Wei-Yin Chen and got a solid #3 innings eater. They have a top 3b prospect to call up, and next year, a top pitching prospect. The Braves have fresh talent year after year yet never go into these two+ year 190 loss ruts. Oakland and Wash made a ballsy trade last offseason and both seem to be winners from it. Cinci traded top prospects for Latos.

Meanwhile the Twins have traded away some of their best assets for nothing, sunk millions in ineffective, organizational guys and no-shows, and there's no MLB ready talent to fill their current weaknesses due to poor drafting. The Twins are going to have to spend their way out of the hole they've dug for themselves, if they are going to be competitive in the near future. That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 10-03-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    It will be to announce them excersizing the options on Baker and Capps.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
    TC Bear...finished. That ought to send a message.
    There isn't enough defense on the planet to justify giving 500+ PA to a guy who can barely OPS .600.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They'll announce Drew Butera is being considered for a rotation spot after his successful year as a reliever, and are looking to sign Francisco Liriano as a free-agent catcher for him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCTF View Post
    TC Bear...finished. That ought to send a message.
    That would suck. I know TC, he is a great guy. It's because of him we win every mascot homerun derby. Boy can rake!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are announcing that Dan Galdden will be fired and replaced with Tom Kelly.

After my moment of rapture, I will have to look for a new moniker...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    LEN3 reports that bullpen coach Rick Stelmaszek has been fired.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...172663381.html

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So, uh, you are already wrong on several points, want to make some new predictions?

And I know for a fact Dan Gladden isn't getting fired.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does anyone know what time the press conference is or if anyone will be streaming it?