Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should The Twins Bring Back Scott Baker?

Should The Twins Bring Back Scott Baker?

I think it's safe to say the Twins will not pick up Scott Baker's $9.25 million option for next year, but I do think they could bring him back at a much lower salary if he looks healthy coming back from TJ surgery. I really think other teams will have tepid interest in him at best, so it may come down to him taking the Twins' offer or simply not signing a major league contract that has any type of guarantees with any team for 2013.

What do you all think?

Here's my analysis of the situation, featured at Rant Sports.com

Link: http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2012/1...k-scott-baker/

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts

What is a 9 million pitcher?

What teams pick up the options of their pitchers and how ealy they are announces will set a payroll level for all teams. That will set if 9 million for Baker is too big of a reach. More than likely they will negotiate a deal that still overpays Baker. Offer to little and they have nothing. Sign him and they still might have nothing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Perhaps if you read TD more often then you would know that this has been discussed many times already including an article. http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.ph...cott-Baker-Now

Sorry, I actually just joined late last week and did not peruse the archives re: Baker. And there actually was some new news that he is throwing off flat ground now, which prompted my article.

Just trying to get some renewed discussion going, and bring people like me that did not participate here previously the chance to do so.
    Last edited by BBWriterMan; 10-02-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBWriterMan View Post
    Sorry, I actually just joined late last week and did not peruse the archives re: Baker. And there actually was some new news that he is throwing off flat ground now, which prompted my article.

Just trying to get some renewed discussion going, and bring people like me that did not participate here previously the chance to do so.
    Just try to ignore the d**k heads or you'll never survive here, besides his Mom probably grounded him and took away his PS3.

To answer your question, I think yes, on a 1 year, incentive heavy deal with an option.

Thanks, that's good advice. I guess I just didn't appreciate the insinuation that I am not well-informed.

I agree with you, but I'm not so sure about the option? A cheap option ( around $1 million) maybe?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    Thanks, that's good advice. I guess I just didn't appreciate the insinuation that I am not well-informed.

I agree with you, but I'm not so sure about the option? A cheap option ( around $1 million) maybe?
    Option will need to be better than that, 6-10 million likely or why would he bother? If he comes back and has a successful year it's well worth it to have the control for the 2nd year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post

Just try to ignore the d**k heads or you'll never survive here, besides his Mom probably grounded him and took away his PS3.

To answer your question, I think yes, on a 1 year, incentive heavy deal with an option.
    You show a lot of maturity yourself. I get sick of people dropping in with links to their blogs like it's something that hasn't been discussed before. And it's discussed in some thread almost weekly.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,298 Times in 524 Posts
    I'm with kab, three of his first five posts were trolling for traffic, it reeks of shameless self promotion to me.

Maybe the powers that be don't mind, but I know I would.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

The powers that be did tell me I could post links to my work here, but maybe I should refrain if others are offended. Oh, and I'm not "trolling for traffic"-it's called promoting my work, but call it whatever you want.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I sure hope not

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    The powers that be did tell me I could post links to my work here, but maybe I should refrain if others are offended. Oh, and I'm not "trolling for traffic"-it's called promoting my work, but call it whatever you want.
    Your "work" needs work if you are trying to be a writer.

Wow. I have to say that this thread seems unnecessarily nasty.
    Plenty of people here with independent blogs, such as myself, do link to their work from time to time. Not sure what the harm is. It's just like anything else in life: you have a choice -- either click on the link, or don't.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ignoring the shift of topic from Baker to site participation standards (and ignoring hyperlinks as I always do), I think you absolutely bring Baker back, with a one-year deal low on base salary but with substantial incentives, and with a sizable team option for 2014. My guess is that's all Baker could expect anyway given his recent injury and, to be blunt, Baker at 80% is still better than most of the people who started for the Twins this year.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    YES! and I think they pretty much decided they want to to try, and I think Baker will accept a VEY reduced salary. He and his family like it here and are comfartable and that goes a long way in these players decision. Now if he's blown away by a multi million dollar offer(which is less then likely) then i think he returns and I would welcome him back.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twins fan from afar View Post
    wow. I have to say that this thread seems unnecessarily nasty.
    Plenty of people here with independent blogs, such as myself, do link to their work from time to time. Not sure what the harm is. It's just like anything else in life: You have a choice -- either click on the link, or don't.

this!

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Your "work" needs work if you are trying to be a writer.
    This will be last word on this, then I'll let it go- I like to think I do good work, and others seem to give me positive feedback whether they agree with what I say or not. And I'm not "trying" to be a writer, I am one and have a fairly solid resume of work. I don't think it's right to degrade others if you don't have the guts to put your writing out there yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Ignoring the shift of topic from Baker to site participation standards (and ignoring hyperlinks as I always do), I think you absolutely bring Baker back, with a one-year deal low on base salary but with substantial incentives, and with a sizable team option for 2014. My guess is that's all Baker could expect anyway given his recent injury and, to be blunt, Baker at 80% is still better than most of the people who started for the Twins this year.
    I absolutely agree, Baker at any level as long as he is healthy is better than most that made a start this year.

I'd bring Baker back for a one year deal. It seems like the whole "it takes a season to recover from TJ surgery" idea is real, so my expectations aren't very high. If we had a little more depth in our pitching ranks, I probably would not want him back.

As far as the nastiness of this site, it's like some of the posters here got up on the wrong side of the wall or somethin...tse tse tse

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm not sure what's considered the nastiness of the site. I would encourage BBwriter to do more than just popping in to drop a link to drive traffic to his website. There are a lot of great content (both articles and forum topics) here that he could participate in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast