Thread: Sano NOT named top prospect in Midwest League by BA

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sano NOT named top prospect in Midwest League by BA

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2614127.html

Miguel Sano and Eddie Rosario were among the Top 20 Prospects in the Midwest League according to Baseball America. Some surprise that Sano was not the #1 prospect.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baez is a beast, but I'm actually surprised that Lindor wasn't number 1.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
    Only #2? Cut him!
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I have no problem with Baez in the top spot. Both will probably be in the top 25 overall so this isn't a slight imo.

Lindor is a really good prospect but some aren't as excited about his offensive upside. i would put him at #3 easily. It's kind of disappointing that Rosario is that low but that is a pretty talented group on that list.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, if you recall the conversation that happened while I was discovering that "Trampoline" was an Olympic sport (which I'm guessing you do!), I'm not at all surprised that Baez was ranked higher than Sano.

The most troubling part of today's report was that Rosario sticking at 2B is being viewed as a long-shot.

The chat did mention Michael Tonkin as a sleeper RP... that's at least the 3rd place I've read that has called him something of that sort.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    callis' reasoning is sound. he thinks baez has a legit chance to stay at ss and the bat speed is special. makes sense for him to edge out sano, imo, though sano's 80 bb's give him a different element.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Seth, if you recall the conversation that happened while I was discovering that "Trampoline" was an Olympic sport (which I'm guessing you do!), I'm not at all surprised that Baez was ranked higher than Sano.

The most troubling part of today's report was that Rosario sticking at 2B is being viewed as a long-shot.

The chat did mention Michael Tonkin as a sleeper RP... that's at least the 3rd place I've read that has called him something of that sort.
    Which is the problem with today's internet media. Everyone reads the same reports and it influences the next guy's ranking/opinion. I wonder how many minor league "experts" actually watch video of these guys let alone see them in person? I'll bet plenty of the guru's have no more first hand knowledge then the rest of the rubes on the internet; they check out stat lines and other people's rankings to form their opinions.

To be clear, I'm not calling out Jim Callis, but trying to show why rankings and projections are so similar among the different analysts.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 10-04-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Rosario being an OF would really dampen my excitement about the hitters in this system. They have no infielders at all, and no pitchers at all. They need someone to step up and take over.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    BA forms its opinions not by scouting or reading stuff on the internet but by talking to a giant network of scouts and FO types. It's not a perfect system but they aren't just copying what others are saying. they do try to see a lot of games and watch video but that isn't the focus of their methodology.