Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Liam Hendriks show you enough??

Did Liam Hendriks show you enough??

Upon his final callup, numbers weren't earthshattering but he held his own fine.
    8starts
    47IP 49h 23er 4.40ERA 27k 16bb 7HRs (4 in 1 gm tho)

If you're of the belief like I am that Scot Baker is just a formality of bein re-signed after they dont pick up their option.....are you happy if you put Baker, Hendriks & Diamond into your rotation for 2013 with 2 spots to fill???

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Liam will figure it out and be a fine starter. Diamond, Gibson, Hendriks and Baker should make this rotation light years better than this year. If the Twins add one legit starter and several low risk options they should feel good about the rotation going into the season IMO. I think Gibson might make the team out of ST and I wouldn't be surprised if Baker is up by May. I've been going back and forth about Gibson starting with the Twins, but I feel like they have little reason not to if he shows he is healthy this fall. Same with Baker. Once he shows he can throw 75 pitches there is no reason for him not to be with the Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't know. I think he will have to be VERY convincing in Spring Training to get to go north with the team, especially if the Twins pick up a few SP options this offseason.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's a mistake to pencil in Hendriks but he has the advantage going into 2013. My plan would be to sign a B-type FA (Marcum, Sanchez, Jackson, etc.), decline then sign Baker, slot in Diamond, and then try to pick up another Marquis-type and let him compete with Deduno, De Vries, Hendriks, et al for the final two spots.

That rotation, while not spectacular, shouldn't embarrass itself and later in the year, you can slot in Gibson as one of those five gets injured and/or fails.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think it's a mistake to pencil in Hendriks but he has the advantage going into 2013. My plan would be to sign a B-type FA (Marcum, Sanchez, Jackson, etc.), decline then sign Baker, slot in Diamond, and then try to pick up another Marquis-type and let him compete with Deduno, De Vries, Hendriks, et al for the final two spots.

That rotation, while not spectacular, shouldn't embarrass itself and later in the year, you can slot in Gibson as one of those five gets injured and/or fails.
    The team will go 5-20 in April and put them out of it before it even starts... again. Put the best team on the field in April and let them play. You will have a hard time convincing me that Hendriks isn't better than Deduno, De Vries, or any of the dumpster diving FA signees the Twins get.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

The team will go 5-20 in April and put them out of it before it even starts... again. Put the best team on the field in April and let them play. You will have a hard time convincing me that Hendriks isn't better than Deduno, De Vries, or any of the dumpster diving FA signees the Twins get.
    I think he is as well... but I also think he needs to prove it next March before he is handed a spot in the rotation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    The guy needs to get away from being a nibble-nuts and trust his stuff.

Actually, today vs. Detroit, I thought that was the first time I've seen borderline pitches go his way, and what a huge difference that makes.

He is very close to being a decent MLB pitcher. He needs to establish the strike zone early, and get the benefit of calls as the game progresses.
    Last edited by Monkeypaws; 09-30-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Upon his final callup, numbers weren't earthshattering but he held his own fine.
    8starts
    47IP 49h 23er 4.40ERA 27k 16bb 7HRs (4 in 1 gm tho)

If you're of the belief like I am that Scot Baker is just a formality of bein re-signed after they dont pick up their option.....are you happy if you put Baker, Hendriks & Diamond into your rotation for 2013 with 2 spots to fill???
    Depends on:

a. how the trio does on ST
    b. who the other 2 are. If they are like Pavano and Marquis, no go.... If they are legitimate number 1 and number 2 pitchers who would let Baker be a 3 and Diamond a 4, I would have no problem with who number 5 is.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Yes. Liam will figure it out and be a fine starter. Diamond, Gibson, Hendriks and Baker should make this rotation light years better than this year. If the Twins add one legit starter and several low risk options they should feel good about the rotation going into the season IMO. I think Gibson might make the team out of ST and I wouldn't be surprised if Baker is up by May. I've been going back and forth about Gibson starting with the Twins, but I feel like they have little reason not to if he shows he is healthy this fall. Same with Baker. Once he shows he can throw 75 pitches there is no reason for him not to be with the Twins.
    Baker should be 100% by the time spring training starts....not on a rehab schedule, by all accounts from MN/Baker.
    He wont be on an innings count for the season as a veteran....they dont get the Stasburg type babying. Adam Wainright got right back to 200IP this year and Ive said it numerous times that the last TJ guy MN had in the majors was Liriano & they let him get to 200 IP also.
    Gibson WILL be on some type of count but it may be 170/180 as they plan to have him get 80 total innings this year combined.
    Ive gone back & forth on whether to start the year with him or have him spend a month/two in Rochester. If they truly believe he's good for mid May, MN is then counting on one of their starters to flounder by then. This leads me to believe that MN will 'scholarship' Samuel Deduno for the 5th spot & wait for his control to kill him off. Hope not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 167 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Baker will be 100% by opening day, how can they justify the risk of losing him? They must pick up his option.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It depends on to what the original question (has he shown me enough?) refers. If the question is "Has he shown me enough to be pencilled into the rotation for next year," the answer is no. I don't put much stock in a handful of games late on which little if anything is riding. If the question is "Has he shown me enough to keep him in the organization and see if he can earn a spot in ST," then the answer is yes. That said I still think we need to sign two more proven starters (#3 level or above) before a spot for Hendriks should even be considered.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I say no to original post. I'm not fine with Baker/Hendricks/Diamond as a core of a staff unless you fill in 2 proven #2 starters (I'll leave said definition up for debate) I think pitching will be improved next year, but we can't begin next season with 2 #4 starters and 1 #3 starter (coming off injury) and feel good about our staff. BTW coming into this year MOST concern was with bullpen, not SP and look how that flip-flopped
    Wikipedia is for suckers

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Hendriks hasn't shown me anything. I have a feeling that he'll make the team out of spring training but that's because I don't see the Twins bringing in multiple starters and somebody has to pitch.

Did Hendricks show enough for what ? That he is a #5 starter , sure he did.....anything else , definitely no. He should go to spring training & compete with deduno, walters (who I believe is the best option of these) devries,Blackburn for the #5 spot. Hendricks stuff is a #5 pitcher in the AL & that's not gonna change.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    If Baker will be 100% by opening day, how can they justify the risk of losing him? They must pick up his option.
    They won't pick up his option, and they won't run a significant risk of losing him. That would be like saying, "If Capps is healthy, how can they not pick up is option". Nobody will spend more than 8 mil On an injury prone #3 starter coming back from TJ

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hendriks looked good yesterday. That doesn't guarantee him a spot next year, but I'm sure he'll be considered. As a couple have said, the Twins need to add two starters--I would say one thru trade and one thru free angency. We have seen that usually a starting staff goes to about 8-10 pitchers and with the unproveness of some of the Twins options, they should go at least that deep.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denarded View Post
    I say no to original post. I'm not fine with Baker/Hendricks/Diamond as a core of a staff unless you fill in 2 proven #2 starters (I'll leave said definition up for debate) I think pitching will be improved next year, but we can't begin next season with 2 #4 starters and 1 #3 starter (coming off injury) and feel good about our staff. BTW coming into this year MOST concern was with bullpen, not SP and look how that flip-flopped
    . Fans perceptions are all out of whack. The range of ERA's for the best 30 starters with 120 innings is 1.57 by Medlan and end with Jarrod Parker at 3.44. Scott Diamond ranks as a very high #2 with the season he has had. Baker with his 2011 stats would rank as a solid #1 but should probably be considered an average #2. Most people think an ERA has to be well below 3 to be a #1. In 2012 that means only 4 pitchers in the american league would qualify. Good luck getting Verlander, Price, Weaver or Hernandez to the guy that says the Twins need to get a #1 and #2. If there was a factory that produced starters that were guaranteed to have a 4.00 -4.3 ERA, no more and no less, most teams would order 3 of them immediately. Rely on Baker and Diamond to do better than that, Hendriks and Gibson to fall somewhere in there and get another guy that is probably going to fall in that range as well and use all the other guys as backup and relief. So in summary I guess we already have 2 #2 guys in Baker and Diamond since the definition was up for interpretation and hopefully at least a #3 guy in Gibson. Do not overlook the value of having good #4 and #5 guys. A solid 5 ERA from your bottom two guys isn't all that bad. Most of the season we only had one guy in our top 5 that was below 6. That explains why we were 17 game under .500 after our first 47 games. Its not that we had a bunch of #4 and 5 starters. Its that we had a bunch of guys that weren't even that. I don't know who to target. When Jamie Shield as over 4 ERA I thought he would be a good value. Now, I have no idea. A # 1 and #2 would be great but you might as well just ask for 5 #1's.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Hendriks looked good yesterday. That doesn't guarantee him a spot next year, but I'm sure he'll be considered. As a couple have said, the Twins need to add two starters--I would say one thru trade and one thru free angency. We have seen that usually a starting staff goes to about 8-10 pitchers and with the unproveness of some of the Twins options, they should go at least that deep.
    I agree--I doubt they will get a number one thru either trade or free agency--but maybe a second number 2 to go with Diamond. Then you open up the competition in ST--DeVries, Deduno, Baker (if healthy), Blackburn (since he is under contract), Hendricks, Walters--top 3 make it. Gibson comes up around June 1 (if healthy) to take the place of whomever sucks the most. Hopefully, out of all this we get 3 decent starters...

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    I think Hendriks has steadily shown he the mettle and stuff to be effective for the Twins, 1,2,3,4,5....who cares, he'll win some games next year and keep them in a bunch of others. The Seattle and the Detroit games combined with his performance in Rochester plus the fact he's 23 is enough. I saw many examples of him starting to get it, last night was probably the best, even above the Seattle game considering the lineup and the fact Detroit actually had something to play for.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Dantes929;56446]
    Quote Originally Posted by denarded View Post
    The range of ERA's for the best 30 starters with 120 innings is 1.57 by Medlan and end with Jarrod Parker at 3.44. Scott Diamond ranks as a very high #2 with the season he has had. Baker with his 2011 stats would rank as a solid #1 but should probably be considered an average #2. Most people think an ERA has to be well below 3 to be a #1. In 2012 that means only 4 pitchers in the american league would qualify.
    Some people think that ERA is not a good measurement of performance (along with things like W-L record, "quality" starts etc...)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast