Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TwinsDaily Awards

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

TwinsDaily Awards

Who gets your vote for the prestigious awards given at the end of the year? AL/NL Cy Young, AL/NL MVP, AL/NL ROY, AL/NL Relief Man, and AL/NL Manager of the Year. I'll tally the votes after a week so it can be 'official'. My vote is below and an ideal ballot would look as follows.

MVP
    AL: Miguel Cabrera
    NL: Ryan Braun

Cy Young
    AL: David Price
    NL: Gio Gonzalez

Rookie of the Year
    AL: Mike Trout
    NL: Norichika Aoki

Rolaids Relief Man of the Year
    AL: Fernando Rodney
    NL: Craig Kimbrel

Manager of the Year
    AL: Buck Showalter
    NL: Dusty Baker

I think both relief men are obvious choices. The biggest reason I would choose Cabrera over Trout is that the Tigers will likely make the playoffs and the Angels won't. The triple crown would also add fuel to his campaign.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    MVP
    AL: Trout
    NL: Posey

Cy Young
    AL: Verlander
    NL: Cueto

Rookie:
    NL: Miley

Relief Man of the Year
    AL: Rodney
    NL: Kimbrel

Manager of the Year
    AL: Showalter
    NL: Johnson

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wade Miley is a great candidate for Rookie of the Year. Almost chose him, but Aoki has been fantastic.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 607 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Christie View Post
    MVP
    NL: Posey

Cy Young
    AL: Verlander
    NL: Cueto

Rookie:
    NL: Miley

Relief Man of the Year
    AL: Rodney
    NL: Kimbrel

Manager of the Year
    AL: Showalter
    NL: Johnson
    A Dickey for Cueto swap is the only change I would make.

Those NL starters are really clumped together at the top, any of Dickey, Cueto, Gonzalez, or even Kershaw would work for me.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is my ballot:

MVP:
    NL: Andrew McCutchen
    AL: Miggy

Cy Young:
    NL: R.A. Dickey

ROY
    NL: Norichicka Aoki
    AL: Cespedes

Relief Man

Manager of the Year
    NL: Davey Johnson

Member Single-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Here is my ballot:

MVP:
    NL: Andrew McCutchen
    AL: Miggy

Cy Young:
    NL: R.A. Dickey

ROY
    NL: Norichicka Aoki
    AL: Cespedes

Relief Man

Manager of the Year
    NL: Davey Johnson
    No love for Trout?

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MVP - too early to tell before final regular season standings
    AL: Trout (Angels)/ Cabrera (Tigers) / Cano (Yankees) in that order depending who makes the post-season. eg. if the Angels and the Tigers do not make it, it is Cano. If all 3 make it, it is Trout
    NL: Posey (Giants)

Cy Young:

AL: Price (Rays)
    NL: Strasburg (Nats)

Rolaids:

AL: Chapman (Rays)
    NL: Kimbrel (Braves)

ROY:

AL: Trout (Angels)
    NL: Harper (Nats)

Manager of the Year:

AL: Showalter (Orioles)
    NL: Johnson (Nats)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    AL: Trout (Angels)/ Cabrera (Tigers) / Cano (Yankees) in that order depending who makes the post-season. eg. if the Angels and the Tigers do not make it, it is Cano. If all 3 make it, it is Trout
    I hate this logic. A team does not have to make the playoffs for a player to have been the most valuable to his team in the league. The Angels, Tigers, and Yankees could all miss the playoffs or could all make it going into the last four games of the season. So, each of them was the integral piece of a contender. That's what an MVP is. If they don't make the playoffs, that doesn't fall on any of those three players.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I hate this logic. A team does not have to make the playoffs for a player to have been the most valuable to his team in the league. The Angels, Tigers, and Yankees could all miss the playoffs or could all make it going into the last four games of the season. So, each of them was the integral piece of a contender. That's what an MVP is. If they don't make the playoffs, that doesn't fall on any of those three players.
    Different strokes for different folks. If the Twins did not have Willingham for example they would have probably lost 115 games. Should he be the MVP? No. He is valuable, but not the MOST valuable (same thing with McCutchen and Wright in the NL.) It is not the "best" player, it is the most valuable player. And unless a team goes to the postseason any value any player gives to his team is bettered by another one. That's my opinion. Let's agree to disagree. And pitchers have won this award as well. I think that the game needs something analogous to the Cy Young award for the best hitter. Call it the "Babe Ruth". (in that case, my votes for the Babe Ruth award winners would have been Trout and David Wright.)
    Last edited by Thrylos; 09-29-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    -----

Different strokes for different folks. If the Twins did not have Willingham for example they would have probably lost 115 games. Should he be the MVP? No. He is valuable, but not the MOST valuable (same thing with McCutchen and Wright in the NL.) It is not the "best" player, it is the most valuable player. And unless a team goes to the postseason any value any player gives to his team is bettered by another one. That's my opinion. Let's agree to disagree. And pitchers have won this award as well. I think that the game needs something analogous to the Cy Young award for the best hitter. Call it the "Babe Ruth". (in that case, my votes for the Babe Ruth award winners would have been Trout and David Wright.)
    The difference being that I'm not advocating for David Wright or Andrew McCutchen for MVP. We're talking about 3 guys all on teams contending until the last week. Not one guy on a team that won 110 games whose team was clearly pushed beyond all others by his stellar season. The Yankees could miss the entire playoffs...does that make Cano less valuable? Likewise with the Tigers and Cabrera. I can understand those who say that a guy can't win it when his team is nowhere near contention, but these three are all on legit contenders. The way they're playing right now, I'd much rather play the Yankees than the Angels, yet the Angels have a better chance to be watching after next Wednesday.

It's a bit like the World Series. The World Series winner is not the best team in baseball. It's the team that won a tournament at the end of the season. Heck, the Rays might be playing the best of any team in baseball in the last 3 weeks into the season. The Cardinals took that momentum and won the tournament last year. Who's to say one of the teams playing in the BSOGPIE (Bud Selig One Game Play In Extravaganza) won't win it all? Does that mean the Braves are better than the Nationals this year? Or the A's are better than the Rangers? The best player in the playoffs gets awards, so we shouldn't base the MVP on playoff teams only. I agree that the team should be a bona fide contender, but playoffs aren't a requirement in my book.

If the Twins did not have Willingham for example they would have probably lost 115 games.
    Why stop at 115? I bet they lose at least 120 without him, maybe even 125.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    If the Twins did not have Willingham for example they would have probably lost 115 games.
    I suspect that you are not a friend of hyperbole...
    -----

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    I suspect that you are not a friend of hyperbole...
    I suspect that you are not a friend to be taken seriously...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    strange I disagree with everything that thyrlos typed. Again...

If I were voting I would still vote for Braun since he's having a Cabrera level season. He almost for sure won't get it but I don't let the past change my voting. I also merely expect a player to be on a competitive team for him to get an MVP vote. Picking a pitcher in either league shouldn't be argued since there are so many deserving. I'll ride the National's story line giving Gio a little bump in the NL. same with Harper at ROY. He's been quite good in a season with several good but not great NL rookies.

MVP
    AL: Michael Trout

Cy Young

Rookie of the Year
    NL: Bryce Harper

Manager of the Year
    AL: Who cares
    NL: Who cares

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MVP
    AL: Miguel Cabrera

Cy Young
    AL Justin Verlanger

Rookie of the Year

AL: Glen Perkins

Manager of the Year
    AL:Ron Gardenhire
    NL: Dusty Baker

. I think that the game needs something analogous to the Cy Young award for the best hitter. Call it the "Babe Ruth". (in that case, my votes for the Babe Ruth award winners would have been Trout and David Wright.)
    they do. Its called the Hank Aaron Award

I posted mine in the awards thread in the "more baseball" board, but I've changed my thinking a bit (and may again before the end of the season Wednesday):

AL MVP: Trout
    NL MVP: Braun

AL CY: Justin Verlander
    NL CY: RA Dickey (I really, really would like to see Craig Kimbrel get votes as he is having arguably the greatest season ever for a reliever, but I think there's too many storylines with Dickey and Gio to get him over the hill, and I like RA better in that argument as he could possibly win the NL pitching triple crown - wins, K's, ERA)

AL ROY: Mike Trout, should be easily unanimous
    NL ROY: Harper (been impressed with his late season resurgence while Frazier sat the bench and Miley has just been okay)

AL MOY: Buck
    NL MOY: Johnson

AL CBPY: Edwin Encarnacion (barely ahead of Fernando Rodney)
    NL CBPY: Martin Prado (though I get anyone voting Posey)

(I really, really would like to see Craig Kimbrel get votes as he is having arguably the greatest season ever for a reliever

He's having the greatest 60 innings ever for a reliever. Sixty.

(I really, really would like to see Craig Kimbrel get votes as he is having arguably the greatest season ever for a reliever

He's having the greatest 60 innings ever for a reliever. Sixty.
    understandable, which is why he won't win, but just saying that if other relievers have won it on similar usage, he should certainly have a shot.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How is anyone voting for Price over Verlander? This is blowing my ****ing mind. Price has 3 more wins and a .08 better ERA. Verlander has pitched more innings, pitched in more games, has more strike outs and his team will make the playoffs on his back. This is not even close to me and it is disgusting me to see so many people saying otherwise. Also, the Trout thing. I don't think someone that wins a triple crown loses the MVP voting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast