Thread: Article: What Would You Do? Jared Burton

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: What Would You Do? Jared Burton

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would be thrilled I the twins made that deal. The first year is basically what you pay for him in arbitration. If he has another decent year, he would get much more than 2/5 in free agency. If he's bad or hurt, you only pay 5m for 2 years of average relief (if hes bad) or 1 year of probably pretty good relief (if he's hurt). Then you also have an option.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    What Burton did this year bears no resemblance to what Blackburn did to earn his contract.
    I would think that Burton would not get closer money in free agency if he is the set up guy next year. As top set up men in free agency are getting 4 million the final year of his contract would have to be closer to that number. If it is a three year deal with a 4th year option it would be closer to a 2, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 and a healthier option amount.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't believe in signing relievers unless they post multiple above average seasons. If the Twins pursue a two or three year deal after Burton has a stellar 2013 season, I'm all for it. But right now, it's an unnecessary risk.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    The difference, of course, if that if they wait until after the 2013 season, he is a free agent and it will most likely cost significantly more at that time.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The difference, of course, if that if they wait until after the 2013 season, he is a free agent and it will most likely cost significantly more at that time.
    Ah, I thought he had two years of control.

I'd probably try to do a midseason deal if he performs again.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Sign him for 2 years at the 4-5 million mark. Worst case scenerio, he goes back to his injury woes and you are out 2 mil a year. This is a low risk/high reward type deal for a very good reliever. How much money did we give Pavano and Capps to sit on the DL for 120 games?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would go with a two year deal for around $4.5 million ($1.75/2.75). By 2015, if the Twins still need Jared Burton, then there will have been a breakdown with a whole number of relief prospects, so let's just hope there is no need for that.

I would try to sign him for two years at the 4 million mark and let Capps walk.

I would not be in favor of signing Burton to an extension unless the Twins think it would help his trade value (I am not sure if it would or not). Relievers are one position that is relatively easy to fill. Both Burton and Fien were aquired for nothing this year. To me it doesn't make sense to tie up money for an excellent set up reliever when 90+ games a year the Twins are losing in the eighth inning. I really believe it is time to trade off any assets the Twins have and start over.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    I'd be ok with 3 years/6 million because the risk is pretty low, I wouldn't really go over that though. Giving extensions to non great RP are a bit risky.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    For those of you thinking that Burton will give up free agency for 2 million consider Jon Rauch got 3.5 from the Mets. Another good year and he could get a 3/13 deal like Crain or a 3/12 like Guerrier. Do you really think that Burton will give up the chance for that kind of money for 2 million? Do you really think an athlete thinks "What if I get injured?"

He will also be 32 entering free agent and coming off another year as a bullpen set-up guy. He would, if successful in 2013, get monies along the lines of Crain or Guerrier, if luck....$3-4 million a year. He isn't tradable if signed to a long-term contract and flops in 2013...another team will just wait to see if he is released before giving him a chance and the Twins would always be on hook for most of the contract. Tough decision. If the Twins can sign him for 2 with a third-year option vs. buyout, I'd go for it.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    No reason for this until the rotation and infield are fixed. Maybe he's had a good year but he also just missed most of 2 seasons with arm problems.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    The GM/Front Office can work on more than one or two things at a time. That's kind of like saying "We aren't going to make our 40 man roster decisions until we figure out the SP."

I am nervous about a multi yr deal with him considering they NEVER pitched him on 3 consecutive days once. This is something that a reliable late inning reliever is gonna have to do occasionally. With this in mind, I would probably offer 2 yrs with a 3rd yr option based on appearances

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The GM/Front Office can work on more than one or two things at a time. That's kind of like saying "We aren't going to make our 40 man roster decisions until we figure out the SP."
    "Jack of all trades, master of none"
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm all for going for a 3 year $6 million contract on Burton. That would be a good contract for an important player.

If he signs a multi-year contract--second year will have to be $3 million or he wont take it. I would not be in a rush to commit $3 million to a 32 year old pitcher with an injury history. Offer 2 year $5million and see what happens--if nothing go to arbitration or sign him for 1 year and 2 million (maybe 2.3)...not an urgent situation he is under Twins control for another year.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too much... What you are suggesting is a deal better than the one Perkins got. No way the Twins should do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast